Image & Video Galleries > Macro

Which extension tubes to buy?

<< < (2/2)

Mt Spokane Photography:
I've had all the brands, Canon, Kenko, and kept a cheap Rokinon set.  The Rokinon is not really heavy duty enough for a big lens like the 70-200 2.8l, but they work on my 100mmL just fine and gain a bit of magnification.  I kept them even though I almost never use them because they were free (came with a old camera), and they work.  Nowdays, the low end ones are cheaper construction than my old ones, so I'd get a Kenko set if bought new.
I can hand hold the 100L if I'm careful, but its really tripod territory when used on a macro lens for greater than 1:1 magnification.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: robbymack on December 25, 2012, 10:31:52 PM ---Neuro...probably mainly use it with my 24-70, but thought it would be fun to also slap it on my 70-200, any issues you foresee?

--- End quote ---

Nope. Have fun!

infared:
I have the Kenko's,  They are fine...for my use, (I generally only use the 12mm for decreasing the MFD on my 85mmL)...but I did not know that the Canon tubes were stronger structurally, I guess that is definitely something to consider for longer, heavier lenses. I learn little tidbits here all the time.
While we are on the subject...Does anyone know if any manufacturer makes a tube shorter than 12mm?

Artifex:
+1 for Kenko.

They are not too expensive and really do a great job. I haven't try to autofocus with them, but the focus confirmation and aperture control works perfectly. I personally believe extension tube are a great choice; it's a cheaper way to start doing macro, and even if you decide to buy a macro lens in the future, you will still be able to use them to increase even further its magnification. I use the Kenko on a SMC 50mm f/4 Macro (it is a 1:2) to be able to have approximately 1,5:1 magnification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version