Rumors > PowerShot Cameras

Patent: Integrated Lens for an APS-C Compact Camera?

(1/3) > >>

Canon Rumors:
Tweet Camera Lens 18-70 f/2.8-6
A patent has shown up for a lens that is an 18-70 f/2.8-6. It looks like the lens could possibly be for a fixed lens APS-C camera. The PowerShot G1X, while a cool enough camera, didn’t catch on. Canon may not be done exploring a large sensor fixed lens camera. Personally, I’d be more into a Sony RX1 style camera for a few dollars less. As a side note, the G1X was announced last year for CES, and that’s coming up in January. Read the full patent cr

traveller:
I don't get this: "the G1X concept didn't catch on, so we'll built more of the same"?

Strange thinking.  If anything, the G1X failed to catch on because it was:

a) too big
b) too expensive for what it was
c) too limited in its capabilities

How would an APS-C version improve upon any of those issues?

infared:

--- Quote from: traveller on December 26, 2012, 08:36:03 AM ---I don't get this: "the G1X concept didn't catch on, so we'll built more of the same"?

Strange thinking.  If anything, the G1X failed to catch on because it was:

a) too big
b) too expensive for what it was
c) too limited in its capabilities

How would an APS-C version improve upon any of those issues?

--- End quote ---

You forgot to mention that incredible viewfinder!
...and the new patent for an f/2.8-6?   F/6.0? Really? WOW!

I agree with everything you wrote above...especially the comment about the RX1.
For me the market has split in two...FF and quality compact full-system camera. (I chose MFT...you could purchase an incredible MFT intrchangeable-lens camera with kit zoom lens and money left over to buy another lens for the $800 Canon introduced the G1X at. I wonder why it didn't sell?)

Nick Gombinsky:

--- Quote from: infared on December 26, 2012, 09:24:11 AM ---(I chose MFT...you could purchase an incredible MFT intrchangeable-lens camera with kit zoom lens and money left over to buy another lens for the $800 Canon introduced the G1X at. I wonder why it didn't sell?)

--- End quote ---

Exactly, MFT has a better offer for the same or lower price, even though the sensor es a bit smaller, if you're in the market for a "compact" camera with SLR-like features, you know there will be compromise. Their cameras are a lot smaller and some are even pocketable.

18-70 f2.8-6? Trends are going into fast lenses on compacts now (thank god), and you give us f6? No way José.

Caps18:
I want to like this type of camera, but I have a hard enough time getting a fast shutter speed with my prime lenses when shooting indoors without a flash.

As a compromise, if they could get the 70mm end down to f/5.6 or f/4... then it might be good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version