Gear Talk > Lenses

What 2nd lens for a designer

(1/5) > >>

alfaromeo84:
Helo,

i just upgraded my gear to a 5dmk III with a 24-105...i used to have a pentax k20d since 2008..
I am a graphic designer and work mostly with posters, logos, catalogues, advertising, and ofcourse photographs i need for my work (product, scene, urban, portrait...) Im on a tight budget since i paid 3699 euros for my new canon kit.
Im looking for a very sharp versatile lens that would give me the best results in an allaround kind of way, the 24-105 is sweet but not enough as i really miss extra crispynes and bokeh for art shots. I would like to have a secnod lens in my kit and not spend any money for at least a year or two.

I am definetly thinking about buying a prime, these are my choices:

- Canon 135L 2.0 ( to expensive)
- Canon 85 1.8
- Sigma 35 1.4
- Sigma 85 1.4 (mixed feelings)
- Canon 35L 1.4 ( to expensive)
-Canon 100L macro 2.8
- Canon 40 2.8 pancake

Or maybe the budget L lenses the 17-40L or 70-200 f4

Please help im a bit lost

thank you

neuroanatomist:
Depends on your focal length need, which should always be a major factor in choosing a prime. Start by setting the 24-105mm to 35 vs. 85 vs. 100 and see which fits your style best.

dr croubie:
How much would you want to spend?
The 135 f/2L is a sweet lens, but for the same price you can get the 40mm pancake *And* the 85/1.8 (or the 100/2.0) for the same price if not cheaper.
And it depends what you want to shoot. For not-so-wide landscapes and groups it looks like the new Sigma 35/1.4 is the winner. The 40mm pancake is just so versatile for everything. The 85/1.8 is a looser-cropped portrait lens, but bokeh isn't as good as the 135L, which is a lot tighter/farther portrait lens.
The 100/2.8L Macro is also sweet, both for portraits and macro, very versatile but again expensive.
No mention of 50mm? I'll agree Canon's offerings aren't the best in this length for the price, thought about the Sigma?

Chosenbydestiny:
You will make great use of a macro lens as a designer, not just for product photography but for extracting patterns that you can use as photoshop brushes or referencing detailed shots as part of a logo structure. The 100mm 2.8 non L macro should help you greatly in this regard for both price and utility, and your 24-105 should be able to cover the rest of your needs :)

seƱor Steve:
For a designer, the 100 macro is a great choice. It will give you many creative options. If you can live without the stabilized one, the price is halved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version