April 16, 2014, 12:21:58 AM

Author Topic: New to video...advice needed  (Read 3925 times)

Cosk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: New to video...advice needed
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
I'm only a couple months ahead of you... but here's what I learned:

-Use Manual mode
-Set your frame rate to 24/s
-Always set your shutter speed to 2x that (1/50th is closest)
-Get your exposure correct by setting the ISO and/or aperture - but don't use auto... Auto doesn't look right when you transition from bright to dark to bright.
-Get a good external mic (I chose the Rhode VideoMic Pro), and don't use auto level - set it manually
-set your focus to Quick mode... focus before your shot, and don't autofocus when you're shooting.  It's better to plan your shots so you don't need to refocus.
-Set your metering timer to 30 minutes so you can see your meter.
- I end us shooting with my 35/1.4L most of the time - at 1.8.  Occasionally the 50mm is better, but the 35 is becoming my go to.

good luck!

5DII 5D 135L 85L 50/1.4 35L 17-40/4L | Denver, CO

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »

Videoshooter

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »
One of the most important things is camera stabilisation.

A good, fluid head tripod is a necessity for any form of semi-serious video. For less 'locked down' requirements there are a range of solutions from monopods (my favorite for weddings) to shoulder mounts & steadycam rigs. All have their good and bad points so if you can borrow any of this gear from someone else to try out it might really help you figure out your shooting style and gear preferences.

Once you have figured out how to keep the camera stable, you can then start to think more about utilising motion effectively - not just superficially. Things like motivated pans (eg panning along a landscape in the direction traffic is flowing) & reveals (panning/moving the camera to reveal more information in a shot, such as another person or object) go a long way towards making the content more engaging, rather than just waving the camera round at anything that moves.

Also try to think about sequencing - eg starting with a wide shot, to show location, then a mid shot to shot the character, then CU to show what they are doing/feeling etc. You'll also need reaction shots (if you're shooting a footaball game and somebody gets a touchdown, show us the crowds reaction) B-roll (overlay which shows vision of what someone is talking about) and cut-aways (shots of detail in a scene can be useful to reveal more info and to cover awkward edits later on - for example if you accidentally "crossed the line" while shooting. The important thing to remember with sequencing is that you don't have to shoot it in order - but think about it the whole time and keep a mental not of what you do and don't have.
5dmkII, 60D, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm.

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 01:07:47 PM »

Sound is important, bad sound will ruin a video, and it's expensive to get right.  Don't buy cheap just now, buy good now.  Look at Rode NTG-2 or Sennheiser MKE600.  Mic off camera where possible, close to the subject.  A $30 mic stand is worth it's weight in gold.

+1 on the mic.... The built in mic on the cameras I have used, 60D and 5D II, pick up sounds from the camera... You can hear it focusing.... You have to use external on those bodies to get decent sound
The best camera is the one in your hands

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
+1 on stabilization, stable video is one of the things that separates pros from amateurs (lighting and sound are also critical).  You don't have to go out and spend $3k on a rig, but I wouldn't count on shooting handheld and being happy with the results.  Also, the LCD screen on the back can be deceiving, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people think they "got the shot" and then they open it up on the computer and it looks like hell. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Videoshooter

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Oh, one more thing...

Remember that you can only shoot video in landscape orientation!  :)

Sometimes I worry that, with the technology becoming available to the masses and the massive amount of convergence happening within the industry, My services as a videographer will soon become redundant. Then I'll see a tourist shooting video with their camera sideways, and I realise that everything is going to be fine!

5dmkII, 60D, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
+1 on stabilization, stable video is one of the things that separates pros from amateurs (lighting and sound are also critical).  You don't have to go out and spend $3k on a rig, but I wouldn't count on shooting handheld and being happy with the results.  Also, the LCD screen on the back can be deceiving, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people think they "got the shot" and then they open it up on the computer and it looks like hell.

LOL...that's why I tend to get no less than 3-5 takes on most every shot that it is possible to do so....

Shoot...stop, review..shoot again....etc. To make sure I have plenty to work with not only with framing, but also with performance....never exactly the same twice, at least when "I" am on camera.

;)

cayenne

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
Oh, one more thing...

Remember that you can only shoot video in landscape orientation!  :)

Sometimes I worry that, with the technology becoming available to the masses and the massive amount of convergence happening within the industry, My services as a videographer will soon become redundant. Then I'll see a tourist shooting video with their camera sideways, and I realise that everything is going to be fine!

I shot a portrait oriented video of my neighbour cutting down a tree.... The ground was covered in snow and the clouds were thick and close to the same color as the ground. It's really great to see the tree stand up after cutting!
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
Then I'll see a tourist shooting video with their camera sideways, and I realise that everything is going to be fine!
LOL
Use ISO's in multiples of 160 when possible
I seem to remember something about this NOT being a fully reliable rule of thumb?
Anyways, Consider getting a picturestyle profile for video as well. When/If you get into more serious PP, you can benefit greatly from shooting with a flat profile (such as the CineStyle). Others (like the Marvell profile) are less flat and give a more pleasing result out-of-camera while still retaining  some room for grading. It can be a little discouraging at first though, to browse through endless flat footage that youøll never bother grading :)
One of the perks of the Magic Lantern is that it alows you to use 2 profiles: 1 for what you see on the LCD, the other for the actual file. This can be very handy for ppl like me who lack visual imagination :)
Other than that, IS is great, simple accessories like shoulder rigs & LCD-VF Loupes are dirt cheap, ML rocks, convertible non-AF primes are cheap and so on and so forth - happy shooting! :)
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »