July 23, 2014, 04:27:28 AM

Author Topic: my new hero3 black, why is it better then my 7D?  (Read 9752 times)

Malte_P

Re: my new hero3 black, why is it better then my 7D?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
i am wondering why the 7D cannot do higher frame rates.
with the super high ISO i would imagine it could do well beyond the 240FPS of the hero 3 as far as lighting.

sorry im lost here.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »

Mantanuska

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »
Why are people even replying to this post?

Malte_P

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »
Why are people even replying to this post?

well not everyone here is a expert...  ::)

i guess your not an expert in everything and if you ask a question at a forum you would like to have a honest answer.   ;)

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
so for Christmas i received a hero 3 black.
it does 240FPS at 820x480
120FPS in 720P
60FPS in 1080P

why is it so much faster then my 7D?
can the 7D be hacked to do more then 240FPS?

Scoobert, you do realize the differences involved here right?  You would be better to compare an iPhone 5 to the GoPro.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

gkaefer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »
so for Christmas i received a hero 3 black.
it does 240FPS at 820x480
120FPS in 720P
60FPS in 1080P

why is it so much faster then my 7D?
can the 7D be hacked to do more then 240FPS?

Scoobert, you do realize the differences involved here right?  You would be better to compare an iPhone 5 to the GoPro.

lol. same fault. with an iPhone5 you cant create such an video:
Small | Large
!

but amazing to see the difference in quality between gopro 2 and gopro 3 now. in less than one year. this speed in development cant be seen on DSLR market.

so lets assume in one year to christmas sale the gopro 4 is coming out. how big will than the difference to an DSLR....

Georg

fegari

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My 500px
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Why doesn't my tractor taste like an apple when i bite it?

Why can't my leathrman include a two week holiday to spain?

Why can't a dslr behave like an action cam?

Somebody here is being very silly, and I'm sure it isn't me.

Oh boy, do I disagree with your last sentence...

paul13walnut5

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »
fegari

As is your right.

You'll see I use a 7D and a GoPro, so it's not like I have any direct idea of comparative qualities, strengths and weaknesses or target market or for that matter cost.

When somebody asks a silly question I always think it best to give a really silly answer, as the subtleties of irony can sometimes be lost.

I was a newb once, and I asked a professional video suppliers if they did monochrome tape.  The guy said they could order some in along with tartan paint and elbow grease,  and in the meantime he could offer me a long stand etc etc etc.

And I still ask silly questions.  Sometimes in earnest.  Sometimes to poke a viper.

That teacher that told you there was no such thing as a silly question was wrong.  There are questions that are sillier than even I could imagine just waiting to be asked.   

Thank you for your feedback.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:18:28 AM by paul13walnut5 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »

fegari

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My 500px
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
fegari

As is your right.

You'll see I use a 7D and a GoPro, so it's not like I have any direct idea of comparative qualities, strengths and weaknesses or target market or for that matter cost.

When somebody asks a silly question I always think it best to give a really silly answer, as the subtleties of irony can sometimes be lost.

I was a newb once, and I asked a professional video suppliers if they did monochrome tape.  The guy said they could order some in along with tartan paint and elbow grease,  and in the meantime he could offer me a long stand etc etc etc.

And I still ask silly questions.  Sometimes in earnest.  Sometimes to poke a viper.

That teacher that told you there was no such thing as a silly question was wrong.  There are questions that are sillier than even I could imagine just waiting to be asked.   

Thank you for your feedback.

"That teacher that told you there was no such thing as a silly question was wrong"

You almost got that one right. In fact my teacher told me there are only silly people and that questions are just questions.

Anyway, I have no interest in hijacking this post or entering into pointless arguments so I'll stop here, it is just annoying to still seeing people getting picked on because of their questions.   :P

ChilledXpress

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
Why doesn't my tractor taste like an apple when i bite it?

Why can't my leathrman include a two week holiday to spain?

Why can't a dslr behave like an action cam?

Somebody here is being very silly, and I'm sure it isn't me.

+1

Thought this post was spam for Hero. They are great little cameras but really laughed out load once I dug deeper. I may pickup the 3 now seeing the vid. The OP's comment can't be serious though. If he is, crazy to say the least. You can’t reply with logic to a post like this because the enthusiasm of a newbie with fun gear is blinding.  8)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:27:26 AM by ChilledXpress »

Vivid Color

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »
I won't get into the argument over which is "better," but if you wish to make a video like the one posted on this forum, I will point out that the hero3 would be easier to wear on one's head than the 7D.  ;)

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »
I won't get into the argument over which is "better," but if you wish to make a video like the one posted on this forum, I will point out that the hero3 would be easier to wear on one's head than the 7D.  ;)

+1, I'd like to see the out-takes of that video.
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

paul13walnut5

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:46 AM »

Nobody has got into any argument about which is better, I think the general point is that they are so different that they are complimentary rather than in competition.

As POV action cams go, GoPro dominate the market, and for very good reason.

If all you need for you video is POV action then great, all you need is a go pro.
If you want to do more, then you need more kit.

I wouldn't wear my spds for a 10 mile hike, and I wouldn't wear my brashers for cycling.

This is really all folk are getting at.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »
video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A3PDXmYoF5U#

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Must be one of the very best marketing videos I have ever seen. It is long, but I watched it all, and I want one!! I have no idea what I would do with it, but it definitely has that cool factor! I am really looking forward to GoPro 4 coming out I can watch that marketing video. ;)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
Data from the sensor has to be processed. It can be processed through hardware or it can be processed through software. Hardware processing is at least an order of magnitude faster than software processing, but at the expense of flexibility.

On a digital SLR, most of the effort has gone into hardware processing of still images, while on camcorders the hardware is optimized for moving images.... therefore we can safely say that a video camera is better at being a video camera and a still camera is better at being a still camera....

The GoPro sucks when it comes to lens choice (none), but the small size and ruggedness can never be matched by DSLR's.

I bought one so I could use it for tasks where I was not willing to take my DSLR..... like underwater and particularly kite photography.... I don't want to be the one to tell my sweetie why I borrowed her camera, a nice chunk of L glass, and then how after a screaming nosedive from 500 feet I can't find all the parts...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mantanuska

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »
Data from the sensor has to be processed. It can be processed through hardware or it can be processed through software. Hardware processing is at least an order of magnitude faster than software processing, but at the expense of flexibility.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. My understanding is that hardware is essentially useless without software instructing it what to do. You can't really have functionality without both being present.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »