July 28, 2014, 08:38:30 AM

Author Topic: What lenses should I take to India?  (Read 9397 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: What lenses should I take to India?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »
Is he opening a camera store there?  ;)
;D 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
and my workhorse 70-200 2.8 (I never ever leave home without that.)
OP said: Traveling light is a priority so can't really take a big tele and to be honest I don't really shoot over 100mm that often(not yet anyway).

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
Take 24-105 and the 16-35.... With a fullframe sensor I guess you will be using the 24-105 most of the time. It will let you cover almost everything you want to cover. Many parts of South India (even with the reverse monsoon coming from the north) will be very dry during winter. So changing lenses on the street or location is not something I would do (I am Indian).
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
Don't forget a polarizing filter.
Seconded!  I didn't bring one on my trip and there were many times I wished I had brought one with me.  At first I told myself "I'll just shoot things as they are" but then there were times when it was so hazy that places like the Taj Mahal were greatly obscured.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »
I would take a 24-105 and a 50 1.4, maybe a small flash if you have it like a 430 ex, some filters and you should be all set. I use my 50 for days where I just want to capture people shots. The combo of general walkaround and fast prime gives some variety to your shots.

And dont forget to just relax and enjoy your trip, too often i get bogged down in gear thoughts and foget to enjoy the view!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
I would take a 24mm f1.4 and an 85 f1.8 for a light two lens setup.  For a one lens trip, I'd take
the 28-135is and use ISO settings to compensate for lens speed if necessary.  For a three lens
trip I'd add the 135mm f2.0 to the first two, but I wouldn't expect much usage.  You might consider an additional point and shoot (G12/DLux 6/Nikon) to carry constantly.    India (and China)
are "crowded" and a lot of the best shots are in streets and alleyways that are not well lit.  Your
camera has a dense enough sensor that you can crop for telephoto effect and still have enough data
to work with.  Three batteries should be overkill on the side of safety.  I'd also consider a 12 volt
charger if you'll have access to a car or service and plan any lengthy commutes or side trips.  A sturdy bag or backpack with a weather cover (depending on the time of year) is also highly recommended. 

Frodosbigtoe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
Hi
I am from India and travel a lot. I do not know what kind of photography you do. But Jan - Feb in south India will be pleasant not cold. There is likely to be slight haze in the air.. again depends on where you are going in S India.  It would also be quite crowded. A 16-35 would be great in the country side or where you get space. 50mm is very useful. I personally love using a 70-200 f4 especially as 1. it is not heavy 2. great for portrait.3. low DOF for privacy in a crowded area. 4. great for the getting the extreme contrasts and colours you will see.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any help in india.

Hey! Thanks for the assistance :-D I'm starting in Mumbai and heading south down and around the coast to Chennai. Gonna try and hit as many places as I can in between. I shoot mostly landscapes and street(portraits and general scenes) so I think the lens choices might just be okay. Can you recommend any must see places or festivals that will be taking place that time of year? Also any general tips for traveling through the south. I'm so damn excited!!! :-D Thanks again!
5D Mk ll, 500D, 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8 ll and 600 EX-RT.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »

Frodosbigtoe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
Very envious of your 6 week shoot. Never done India, but shot China many times. Remember that just because you have glass with you doesn't mean you must carry it everywhere. Presumably you will be in hotel or some more or less secure place? I'd bring **minimum** 24-70 II, 50 1.4 or 1.2, and my workhorse 70-200 2.8 (I never ever leave home without that.) I'd consider the 16-35 II. I lilke my 135 f2; light and sharp. Bring 2 LaCie USB-powered external drives, a spare charger for your batteries  (bring 3 batteries not 2); and ... make arrangements with someone you really really trust to dropship you another body if yours craps out. I never go overseas without at least 2 bodies and a P&S backup. Bring Imodium too.

Are you sponsored by Nat Geo?!? :-D

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Cheap ones so when they get stolen you wont feel so bad!  Seriously.

Frodosbigtoe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
Cheap ones so when they get stolen you wont feel so bad!  Seriously.

Insured but thanks :-)

rj79in

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 06:44:43 AM »
Since you have 2 bodies I would strongly suggest that you bring both with a 24-105 on the 500D. You are more than likely to encounter dust in the field and changing lenses will be an issue.

Also, you are more than likely to encounter haze so a polarizing filter will be essential as TAF and Jabbott mentioned.

Chennai and Mumbai are on opposite coasts so I'm not sure what route you are planning to take, unless you are going to Kanyakumari (southernmost tip of India and, a very beautiful place. The west coast is considerably more interesting than the east so plan your route accordingly. Do head to Goa if you can and there will be Portuguese architecture mixed with the Indian culture for you to enjoy. 

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Hey! Thanks for the assistance :-D I'm starting in Mumbai and heading south down and around the coast to Chennai. Gonna try and hit as many places as I can in between. I shoot mostly landscapes and street(portraits and general scenes) so I think the lens choices might just be okay. Can you recommend any must see places or festivals that will be taking place that time of year? Also any general tips for traveling through the south. I'm so damn excited!!! :-D Thanks again!

Hi, I'm from Goa (India) but working in the Middle East for the last 7 years ... I visit India twice a year for a total of 45 days. Since you wanted to know some must see places or festivals here is some info:
1. Goa is one of the MUST SEE places in India (google and see why) and it is less than 600 kms / 372 miles from Mumbai (it is also on your way down to Chennai).
2. Goa has two festivals coming up the first one is "Goa Carnival" starts on 9th Feb and ends on 12th Feb 2013, followed shortly by "Shigmo" festival ... both these occasions present you with some incredible & colorful photo opportunities.
3. Goa has beautiful beaches, waterfalls, world heritage churches and temples in addition to farms, cashew plantations, wildlife (crocodiles, birds, dolphins, leopards, deer, elephants not to forget the holy cow )
4. Goa has several daily flights, trains and buses from Mumbai ... but for person with photography bug, train journey is the best (especially the day train as you can chat up with lots of friendly people ... but be careful if they offer you food, there have been incidents where people have been drugged with food only to wake up with all their stuff stolen)
5. Trains take around 10 hours from Mumbai to Goa and a reserved non-air conditioned sleeper coach travel costs less than US$ 8 per person ... if you want air conditioned sleeper coach it cots less than US $ 32 per person. Also as a foreign tourist you get preference for quick reservations on trains (just ask for "Tatkal" ticket at train reservation counter)
6. Good quality beer costs less than bottled water in Goa ... lots of restaurants, seafood and rave parties ... you also get to see hippies who've been frequenting Goa for the last 4 decades ... awesome flee markets ... at this time of the year, you get to see Russian, British, Polish, Israeli and Japanese tourists (this is in addition to the domestic tourists from North and South India), its a melting pot of cultures and the best part is all of them are willing to pose for a photograph as they are all in "mood" for a good time, especially when they are only drinking beer instead of water.
7. You can easily reach Chennai from Goa either by air or train.

By the way coming to your question about the choice of lenses ... what you chose is perfect for your trip ... you will come back with some memorable photos ... I just came back from a 16 day vacation in Goa from Dec 2012 to Jan 2013 ... took a lot of pics with the 16-35mm f2.8 L II ... the 50mm f1.4 will work nicely inside some of the old portuguese churches.
All the best for your trip
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:46:03 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »