July 26, 2014, 01:09:38 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark iii ai-servo  (Read 7078 times)

EvilTed

Re: 5D Mark iii ai-servo
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »
How did you get the red focus highlights with Ai-Servo?
I thought this was one of the main complaints with the 5D MK3?
I can't get any to show up with mine :(

Also, not to hi-jack this thread, but can Ai-Servo be used with single shot as a method of tracking moving subjects?
I think it can.
If so, how does back button focus work in this mode.

I would hope that while depressed, the camera would continue to track the subject and when released focused would be locked?
It's just that without red highlights I'm unable to see this.

Thanks

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »

Rui Brito

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
Could the focus distance limiter button be the problem?

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
The red focus highlight has not been a real issue for me.  It's a problem for some that shoot in low light levels such as indoor weddings.  Outside in bright sun is not an issue.

AI Servo is different from One Shot which only AF's once on shutter button half press.  So I assume you mean drive mode vs single shot mode.  Servo AF will work in either drive mode or single mode and AF will continue to track while the shutter is depressed half way.

Two settings I use the most are to set the DOF test button on the front to toggle between One Shot and AI Servo.  The other is to set the AF-ON button on the back to disable AF only.  Allows you to acquire focus in Servo mode, disable AF quickly to recompose the shot.  Obviously not good for action but great for sitting birds or dogs.

In AI Servo mode you currently cannot get AF point highlight.  Rumor has it that it's something Canon is working on but is not an easy fix as the highlight affects the exposure if it's on when the camera meters the exposure.

Also, not to hi-jack this thread, but can Ai-Servo be used with single shot as a method of tracking moving subjects?
I think it can.

I would hope that while depressed, the camera would continue to track the subject and when released focused would be locked?

Thanks

ET

DigiDen

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »
So first of all servo AF is not always 100% no matter how you have your settings. 

The lens and camera are both top of the line. 

I think, I need to change camera for 1 DX, will it make result better?
but if af of both cameras is the same, so will result be the same ?
also 1DX have more power for USM may be it wiil help ?

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Yes the 1DX will be better in a number of respects.  Lower noise level so can use even higher ISO and thus larger F stop and higher shutter speed, Adds color detection to AF system so it should be better at tracking things if the color is different from the background.  Higher voltage batteries also increase AF response time with USM motors (though with the 70-200 2.8L is II on the 5D3 this would not add much but it might be more noticeable when using a 1.4 or 2X converter with the lens).

There are other benefits as well but these are more in tune with the subject of this thread.

So first of all servo AF is not always 100% no matter how you have your settings. 

The lens and camera are both top of the line. 

I think, I need to change camera for 1 DX, will it make result better?
but if af of both cameras is the same, so will result be the same ?
also 1DX have more power for USM may be it wiil help ?

DigiDen

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »
Adds color detection to AF system so it should be better at tracking things if the color is different from the background.

does it work only in "61 points automatic selection AF" ?
or does color detection work in Zone AF and Extended too ?

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »

I think it can.

Thanks

ET

If the camera is set to focus using the AF-On button and the camera is in AI-Servo AF mode, then camera will continually auto focus using the active AF point(s) for so long as the AF-On button is depressed.  But AI-Servo AF never locks like One-Shot mode does, it just continually tracks as long as AF is active, so if you release AF-On and auto focus is only mapped to AF-On, then the camera is no longer auto-focusing - the focus position just stops wherever it is when you let go of AF-On.
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
Many times it is the technique used that makes the difference.  I have allowed others to use my camera with the exact setup I use shooting the exact same event I am shooting and they often get 50% less keepers due to their technique.

With that being said, here are my often used settings when shooting moving subjects like dogs with a 1DX:

Dark (indoor) conditions:
TV  1/1000s (200mm f/2 usually at f/2 or 2.2)
Auto ISO
AI servo
Case 4
Single point selection with 4 point expansion
AI servo 1st image priority set to equal
AI servo 2nd image priority set to focus

Bright (outdoor) conditions:
AV (200mm f/2 usually at f/2.2 to 4.5)
ISO fixed (usually 50 to 400 ND filter if needed)
AI servo
Case 6
61 point auto switching with first point selected. (used when background is not busy)
ITR on
AI servo 1st image priority set to equal
AI servo 2nd image priority set to focus

-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »

DigiDen

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
Many times it is the technique used that makes the difference.  I have allowed others to use my camera with the exact setup I use shooting the exact same event I am shooting and they often get 50% less keepers due to their technique.

Thanks for more informations, it's helpful.
Few questions
- Have you used 5D Mark III or 1D Mark 4 on dogs? If yes, what was the result in contrast with 1Dx?
- "ITR on" - does it influence on the result?

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »

Thanks for more informations, it's helpful.
Few questions
- Have you used 5D Mark III or 1D Mark 4 on dogs? If yes, what was the result in contrast with 1Dx?
- "ITR on" - does it influence on the result?

I still own a 1D4 and use it for dog sports as well.  The 1D4 does an excellent job tracking (much better than the 5D series cameras) but the 1DX made my keeper rate go up another 30% I would say.  I would still have no problem shooting with the 1D4 for dog sports and often do when I need more reach (crop factor) but if I need high ISO (5000 and up) then I must use the 1DX.

ITR on appears to work well when using the 61 point auto switching when there isn't a confusing background.  It would probably work well with those example shots in the first post.  It really does track well when you use the first point selected method with 61 point auto switching and ITR on.  If you have a black and white dog and black and white objects in the background then all bets are off for auto switching, for example. 

I have used ITR to track frisbees being thrown when the background is blurred and mostly green as in that example.  It does a great job and only hops off subject every once in a while.  Again, my technique made a difference when trying to keep it tracking the frisbees and I had to "learn" things a bit more when I started using the 1DX. I had lots of blurred images at first until I learned to use the right settings and technique.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:20:40 PM by Studio1930 »
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

DigiDen

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »