April 16, 2014, 01:54:06 PM

Author Topic: Using a Kenko 2x extender on a Canon 50mm 1.4; impractical, impossable or just plain insane? :-D  (Read 2113 times)

Frodosbigtoe

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever paired these two pieces of gear with any success? Heading to India and need to travel light so I'm only taking 16-35mm and a 50mm. I'm afraid I won't have enough reach with just those 2 lenses hence the extender idea :)
5D Mk ll, 500D, 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8 ll and 600 EX-RT.

canon rumors FORUM

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Do you have the extender already?
I'm not sure how much they cost, but the 85/1.8 and 100/2.0 can't be much more, and they're pretty sweet lenses, better than a 50/1.4 and extender would be...

(fwiw, I just tried my Kenko 1.4x on my 50/1.8ii, it won't get to infinity wihout the glass touching. I'd suspect the same of your combo)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:33:39 AM by dr croubie »
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Nishi Drew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Or just carry around the 50mm. Not enough reach? Get closer. Not wide enough? Step back!
Though for travel, and if you want scenery/indoor then of course, carry the 16-35.

As for extenders, yeah- no, you'd be better off with cropping, that's right, you indefinitely lose quality
by using an extender, especially on a unsupported lens, and if you don't mind quality then
heck go get yourself a compact super zoom. And I also agree that either the 85 or 100 F2 are good alternatives.

wallybarthman

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
It'll work.... but trust me, don't do it.  You'll have cloudy, discolored photos that aren't worth a thing.  Keep in mind, that you'll need to stop it down to a minimum of 4.0 to get anything resembling reality, more likely 5.6.  I have the exact pairing and it's just not worth it. 

crasher8

I'd search Keh.com for an LN- or EX+ EF 100 f/2. Or a refurb on the Canon site. Really, why not get good glass instead of an extender for ~ the same $?

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Extenders don't generally work well with retrofocus lenses.  Thats why they specify using them with a lens of 100mm or longer.  It might physically function with the 50, but you might not be happy with the results.

canon rumors FORUM