July 25, 2014, 06:22:45 PM

Author Topic: Changing the focusing screen on my 5D III - two steps forward, one step back  (Read 4503 times)

vlad

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Coming from a 5Dc with an EE-S focusing screen, I was pretty disappointed that the 5D III didn't have a similar alternative.  Doing some searching, it appeared that focusingscreen.com is currently the only option around.  In short, a guy in Taiwan gets original Canon screens and modifies them - there are various microprism/grid/etc screens, but since I like the freedom to manual focus anywhere in the frame, I went with the S Type.

It arrived yesterday, meticulously packaged, and I got to work using their online instructions:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d3en.htm

As I was finishing the installation, I accidentally dropped one of these screws inside the camera, and as luck would have it, it dropped into the hole on the side of the mirror, where I can't see or reach it.

I turned the camera upside down, tilted it, shook it a bit - I could hear the screw rattling around for the first minute, and then it just stopped - I guess it got lodged somewhere.

Thankfully, the part that's held down with the 2 screws seems to be solid enough with just 1, but I'm not really happy about literally having a loose screw inside the camera, just waiting for the right time to break free and go exploring inside a lens...  Maybe I should register screwloosephoto.com and capitalize on my mistake.

As for the focusing screen - it works great, same as my previous EE-S screen.   To me, it makes the difference between trusting myself with manual focus through the viewfinder, and using it for emergencies only.  A bit pricy, but totally worth it in the long term.  Despite whatever reason Canon gave for not having swappable screens in the mk III (something about how it's a side effect of their new AF), the various AF modes continue working fine.

If anybody has any ideas on either getting the loose screw out (I was thinking of trying canned air) or at least finding a replacement for it, I'd be eager to hear it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:33:16 PM by vlad »

canon rumors FORUM

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The metering will be in-accurate though.  :-\

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Maybe try magnetising a small Jewellers screwdriver and see if you can lift it out.

I thought the Mk 3 had translucent LCD screen - so if you took the battery out screen would go darker - like Nikon. Personally  I hated this for manual focus, but I'm surprised you've not lost functions and exposure meter accuracy.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:20:24 PM by Sporgon »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
If it's stopped rattling, it's probably found its way onto a magnet somewhere inside - possibly one of the motors for the mirror or shutter. If that's the case, it might well be safe where it is.

Canned air won't budge it if it is held in place with a magnet. What about using one of those cleaning loupes (or even a torch) to try to locate it, and also try it in mirror lock up/sensor cleaning mode. If you do happen to find it, use a pair of tweezers or even a strongly magnetised screwdriver to remove it.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
Is that because the metering is behind the focusing screen now? on the 5D3?

The metering will be in-accurate though.  :-\

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
Maybe go see if you can get it xrayed?  Know any radiologists or TSA agents?

Coming from a 5Dc with an EE-S focusing screen, I was pretty disappointed that the 5D III didn't have a similar alternative.  Doing some searching, it appeared that focusingscreen.com is currently the only option around.  In short, a guy in Taiwan gets original Canon screens and modifies them - there are various microprism/grid/etc screens, but since I like the freedom to manual focus anywhere in the frame, I went with the S Type.

It arrived yesterday, meticulously packaged, and I got to work using their online instructions:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d3en.htm

As I was finishing the installation, I accidentally dropped one of these screws inside the camera, and as luck would have it, it dropped into the hole on the side of the mirror, where I can't see or reach it.

I turned the camera upside down, tilted it, shook it a bit - I could hear the screw rattling around for the first minute, and then it just stopped - I guess it got lodged somewhere.

Thankfully, the part that's held down with the 2 screws seems to be solid enough with just 1, but I'm not really happy about literally having a loose screw inside the camera, just waiting for the right time to break free and go exploring inside a lens...  Maybe I should register screwloosephoto.com and capitalize on my mistake.

As for the focusing screen - it works great, same as my previous EE-S screen.   To me, it makes the difference between trusting myself with manual focus through the viewfinder, and using it for emergencies only.  A bit pricy, but totally worth it in the long term.  Despite whatever reason Canon gave for not having swappable screens in the mk III (something about how it's a side effect of their new AF), the various AF modes continue working fine.

If anybody has any ideas on either getting the loose screw out (I was thinking of trying canned air) or at least finding a replacement for it, I'd be eager to hear it.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
If I were you I would get a small led flashlight, an angled dental mirror, tweezers and a magnetized screwdriver and retrieve that sucker. If that screw releases at the wrong time, you'll be playing foosball inside your camera :P

canon rumors FORUM

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
Magnetized anything inside the camera body would be a bad idea. With the complex circuitry inside any slight mishap could cause lots of damage and void any warranty you have. Even battery out no power magnets cause all sorts of havoc as they can induce a current into a system. DO NOT put anything magnetized into your camera body.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:19:08 AM by RMC33 »

Hobby Shooter

DO NOT put anything magnetized into your body.

I always try to avoid that, it's so difficult to digest. Plastic is where I draw the line.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile

DO NOT put anything magnetized into your body.

I always try to avoid that, it's so difficult to digest. Plastic is where I draw the line.

I guess I should add "camera" In there. Plastic is equally dangerous though for numerous reasons~

vlad

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Thanks all for the tips.  Since there were more people for magnets than against, I gave it a try last night without much luck - no sight or sound of the screw.  I've come up with another theory to torment myself with - what if the screw came out as I was trying to shake it out and I didn't notice, and now I'm spending all this time chasing after it... anyway, I think my next step will be trying to find a replacement screw, as well as try to focus on making photos to get my mind off this madness :)

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
I hope you used a VERY low strength permeant magnet. There are a number of things in the body can can create current off a magnetic field. You could have easily cooked any hard (see camera firmware) memory storage in the body. Magnets + non-sheilded electronics = huge money loss. Also, did you test the other screw to see if it was ferromagnetic?

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
Maybe go see if you can get it xrayed?  Know any radiologists or TSA agents?
Find some poor smock in the ER with a broken rib and give him 50$ to let your body piggyback :)
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

canon rumors FORUM