November 29, 2014, 01:50:52 AM

Author Topic: An EOS 3D Mention [CR1]  (Read 17218 times)

Rick

• Rebel SL1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Canon, do not even think about...
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »
It doesn't rain in  studios to my knowledge and anyone shooting landscapes or archtecture in the rain are kinda nuts.

I do shoot in the rain, and I probably am a bit nuts, but I also have an umbrella.....

Well...actually, you are not shooting in the rain technically so we can call off the psychiatrist.  :) I shoot when it is raining too but under cover.  I meant shooting in the rain perhaps like sports shooters or PFs may have to from time to time. I see no reason to bulk up a high res camera.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:11:41 AM by Rick »
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Dear Canon, do not even think about...
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: An EOS 3D Mention [CR1]
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 06:33:37 AM »
Some of the most dramatic lighting for outdoor shots such as landscapes can be when the sunlight momentarily breaks through a storm. If you're doing that, weatherproof gear is nice to have as a backup if the umbrella breaks...

The sensor is probably the single most expensive component in an SLR - why would what is likely to be the most expensive production Canon sensor at the time of release be put in a budget body? It'd still be an expensive camera, aimed at pros. Stuff like a minimal shutter lag, minimal viewfinder blackout and fast x sync (on full frame) are still exclusive to the 1 series, as is the rugged build to cope with years of use and abuse by owners who sees it as simply a tool rather than a treasured once in a lifetime investment - so why not put it in a 1 series body?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

Rick

• Rebel SL1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
Some of the most dramatic lighting for outdoor shots such as landscapes can be when the sunlight momentarily breaks through a storm. If you're doing that, weatherproof gear is nice to have as a backup if the umbrella breaks...

The sensor is probably the single most expensive component in an SLR - why would what is likely to be the most expensive production Canon sensor at the time of release be put in a budget body? It'd still be an expensive camera, aimed at pros. Stuff like a minimal shutter lag, minimal viewfinder blackout and fast x sync (on full frame) are still exclusive to the 1 series, as is the rugged build to cope with years of use and abuse by owners who sees it as simply a tool rather than a treasured once in a lifetime investment - so why not put it in a 1 series body?

1.) I think professionals have already demonstrated that expensive cameras are not going to fly. But, Canon's main customers, non-professionals, will shut this camera down if it arrives with a 1D series body and price.

2.) Sensors do not add the expense the gullible public believes they do. The largest expense in a !D serties camera is marketing cachet.

3.) I think the vast majority of professionals shooting landscape in the backcountry (as opposed to overlooks
with the rest of the tourists) will want a small light body like the 5D2 which they adopted in droves.

4.) If someone is put firing away with a 50 MP sensor at landscapes and needs zero shutter lag. he/she may have purchased the wrong camera.
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 12:34:41 AM »
The name will indeed be misleading to many folks out there, which can't be helped.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 02:29:05 AM »

I agree with everything you mention.
This camera will be for people who want the finest IQ and would want rest of the things you mention attached with it. All this is possible, or better possible, in the 1 series body.

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 03:12:26 AM »

1.) I think professionals have already demonstrated that expensive cameras are not going to fly. But, Canon's main customers, non-professionals, will shut this camera down if it arrives with a 1D series body and price.

2.) Sensors do not add the expense the gullible public believes they do. The largest expense in a !D serties camera is marketing cachet.

3.) I think the vast majority of professionals shooting landscape in the backcountry (as opposed to overlooks
with the rest of the tourists) will want a small light body like the 5D2 which they adopted in droves.

4.) If someone is put firing away with a 50 MP sensor at landscapes and needs zero shutter lag. he/she may have purchased the wrong camera.
The 5D mk II was very successful for landscape work, but it was mostly just a re-hash of the one year old 1Ds mk III sensor in a low end body (nothing wrong with that - I've got a 5D mk II and its great). Nikon broke the mould this time round by featuring a high MP sensor first in a non flagship model, but that doesn't mean Canon have to follow them down that route.

Not all subjects requiring high MP are stationary like landscapes and product photography - any studio work with moving objects such as models does benefit from short shutter lag and minimal viewfinder blackout, and a fast flash sync speed is a huge help in countless situations.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:39 AM »

The 5D mk II was very successful for landscape work, but it was mostly just a re-hash of the one year old 1Ds mk III sensor in a low end body (nothing wrong with that - I've got a 5D mk II and its great). Nikon broke the mould this time round by featuring a high MP sensor first in a non flagship model, but that doesn't mean Canon have to follow them down that route.

Not all subjects requiring high MP are stationary like landscapes and product photography - any studio work with moving objects such as models does benefit from short shutter lag and minimal viewfinder blackout, and a fast flash sync speed is a huge help in countless situations.

SO TRUE!!! I just do not get it when people mention landscape along with high MP.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:39 AM »

Rick

• Rebel SL1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »

SO TRUE!!! I just do not get it when people mention landscape along with high MP.....

None of these features preclude a lighter, small body. You fellows presume these features must go hand in hand with a boat anchor and ridiculous pricing. This just doesn't have to be true. Maybe that's why a 3D body keeps being mentioned in relation to high resolution. I really think there's something to be said for the idea that folks have an emotional need to own a large camera disregarding the heritage of the 35mm format being a smaller, lighter camera.

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »

fpdv01

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
Well, that would help to double the sales of "L" glass!!   :P  ;)  :o

BumpyMunky

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I wonder what this button does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
now this is a canon 3d!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexturton/6942558872/#

:P

Ok, lets be serious for a minute.  This MUST be photoshopped, and can't be the Canon 3D for the following reasons:

• the mounts are too close together to mount most lenses
  • there is no lens release button for the camera-right lens mount, unless they figure someone is going to juggle simultaneous lens ejections [wait, that didn't sound right...]
  • the tag on the body says 7D mark II.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
now this is a canon 3d!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexturton/6942558872/#

:P

Ok, lets be serious for a minute.  This MUST be photoshopped, and can't be the Canon 3D for the following reasons:

• the mounts are too close together to mount most lenses
  • there is no lens release button for the camera-right lens mount, unless they figure someone is going to juggle simultaneous lens ejections [wait, that didn't sound right...]
  • the tag on the body says 7D mark II.
Forget the 7DII typo. This was a quick turnaround prototype. Soon you will see twin barrel lenses that are press fit to lock!

You will not be able to use old glass on this monster. How do you think companies make money hand over fist?
 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »