August 22, 2014, 12:03:37 AM

Author Topic: How to produce circular flash reflection in eyes?  (Read 4753 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: How to produce circular flash reflection in eyes?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »
PC Socket?  Oh Dude!  Have I got a site for you!

If you want to get totally geeked out and lost in a cool website for half an hour, go here...

http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/2006/11/canon-flash-auxillary-sync-mod.html

This guy does some seriously wicked mods for improving/customizing flash equipment.  He rocks.  He can custom make anything and does it right.  His work is high quality with good attention to detail.  He also will rebuild what you already have to be much more "bullet proof" with better metal shoe plates, tougher screws, etc.

My biggest concern with his work on flashes is that once the flash is improved, it will never fail and won't break so my camera will split in half instead!   :D  (Gotta hate it when that happens!)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
Thanks, I didn't realize that - though the one I found looks somewhat wobbly when I imagine a speedlite mounted on it next to a manual flash via pc sync: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Neu-TF-321-Canon-E-TTL-Flash-Hot-Shoe-Blitzschuh-zu-PC-Sync-Adapter-/221085648301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3379bb45ad

Does the original one look more trustworthy? I doubt it, but for as little as 11x the price you can find it out  :o
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171135_-1

You also need cables.
Maybe you're better off with used pocket wizards or some cheaper version of them.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
but for as little as 11x the price you can find it out  :o

I (again) didn't realize Canon does produce the same thing - and given Canon's current pricing policy, I think they should lower the prices so that they're only *10* times more expensive than the same thing from a third party, often they're even content with only 5 times like the ttl-cord or lens hoods :-p

Maybe you're better off with used pocket wizards or some cheaper version of them.

If I should get this than only to attach 1 or max two cheap flashes (like the ring flash advice above) near the camera, otherwise I'd invest in the current Canon wireless system (that's why I got the 600rt) though that isn't compatible with studio flashes atm.

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
I (again)

The smiley was not for you, but rather the price.  ;)
I just wanted to point out that all those adapters pretty much look the same.

Well, if you want to invest in the new wireless system of canon anyway, I don't think 10€ more will break the bank.
Just give it a try? The cheapo manual ring flash is going to be the same kind of investment.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »
I don't think 10€ more will break the bank.

Yup, just ordered it directly from China (to save 5€ in comparison to a German delivery) - now I just have to wait a month :-> ... and I think the Canon flash system is currently overpriced since only the 600rt is available and I certainly cannot afford more of these, but I thought one would be a future-proof bet and it has the nice 200mm reflector.

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »
if you want a perfect circle catch light in your subjects eye first determine the working distance you need and then look for the corresponding modifier.
1. acrylic globe for home lighting (good for small dot or working close)... surprisingly cheap
2. china lantern come in many diff sizes (good for small dot or working close).... surprisingly more cheap.
3. use umbrella as close to lens as possible... some cases directly behind camera.
4. any round box or octa bank or rotalux style bank.

only need a tenth of amount of light to produce specular in eyes... adjust to your liking but so it does not effect your main lighting ratio.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »