September 17, 2014, 10:11:40 AM

Author Topic: 1Ds MkIII vs 7D, as partner of my 5D MkII  (Read 9006 times)

aldvan

1Ds MkIII vs 7D, as partner of my 5D MkII
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »
I posted many times my disappointment against the 7D that I bought as a "backup-telephoto booster" for my 5D MkII, that I love hugely. Now I have the chance to trade the 7D plus 3900$ for a 1Ds MkIII in very good shape (6k shots). Being 1Ds MkIII project younger than four years, I wouldn't have any doubt, but I'm in great anguish at the idea to leave  3900$ when a 5D MkIII will come in a short time, and to carry around an extra pound to get performances very similar to those of a 5D MkII. Any advice? Thank you in advance...

canon rumors FORUM

1Ds MkIII vs 7D, as partner of my 5D MkII
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ds MkIII vs 7D, as partner of my 5D MkII
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:17 PM »
I'm in great anguish at the idea to leave  3900$ when a 5D MkIII will come in a short time, and to carry around an extra pound to get performances very similar to those of a 5D MkII. Any advice? Thank you in advance...

Sure, the IQ will be similar...but the AF of the 1DsIII will blow the AF of the 5DII away (which is my big complaint about the 5DII, and one area in which the 7D is far superior to the 5DII).  The 5DIII might come soon.  But, 'soon' might be over a year - it still seems most likely that a 1DsIV will come first.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

aldvan

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
neuroanatomist, thanks for your quick advice. You know that I'm not a big fan of automated AF. Almost always I'm   looking for my own focus point, so a better AF seems to me not enough to get an extra pound of apparel and to loose 3900$ ! :-)  My true point is to get a better IQ, and I wonder if a 1Ds would be able to give me that...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »
My true point is to get a better IQ, and I wonder if a 1Ds would be able to give me that...

From a purely sensor-based standard, no.   Between 1DsIII and 5DII, the base image sensor is the same, resolution and sharpness are the same, and the 5DII actually has very slightly less noise at higher ISOs (resulting from the Digic IV processor, compared to the dual Digic III's in the 1DsIII).

The 1DsIII offers a larger viewfinder with 100% coverage, a faster frame rate (but a slightly shallower buffer), and shorter shutter lag VF blackout times.  There are many more customizations (AE adjustment, FEC adjustment, etc.), weather sealing, etc.

Bottom line, if IQ is your main concern and the 5DII is delivering what you need, save your money and skip the 1DsIII.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
My true point is to get a better IQ, and I wonder if a 1Ds would be able to give me that...

From a purely sensor-based standard, no.   Between 1DsIII and 5DII, the base image sensor is the same, resolution and sharpness are the same, and the 5DII actually has very slightly less noise at higher ISOs (resulting from the Digic IV processor, compared to the dual Digic III's in the 1DsIII).

The 1DsIII offers a larger viewfinder with 100% coverage, a faster frame rate (but a slightly shallower buffer), and shorter shutter lag VF blackout times.  There are many more customizations (AE adjustment, FEC adjustment, etc.), weather sealing, etc.

Bottom line, if IQ is your main concern and the 5DII is delivering what you need, save your money and skip the 1DsIII.

I agree, the AF and the supurb build as well as long battery live are the main difference between 5D MK II and 1Ds MK III.

I returned my 7D and bought a used 1D MKIII for about the same price.  The value of my MK III hasn't dropped over these 2 years, but a used 7D has dropped quite a bit.

In fact, I've been thinking of buying one of the $1164 refurb 7D's(with Canon CLP) and selling my 1D MK III.  I would like the extra pixels.  However, the biggest issue for me is low light use, and only my 5D MK II can barely get by in the very low light situations.

finally, I saw a used 40d offered locally for a very reasonable price and bought it.  I now have it planted in my studio, and have been using a old 22-55mm lens on it.  The zoom range is acceptable, but I do manual focus 100% in the studio, and its a miserable lens to manually focus.  I'd buy a 17-55 again, but it is overkill for that use of making web photos.

I'm watching Craigslist for a low cost lens like the 18-55mm IS, as well as looking over the Canon refurbs.  I've been wanting a 16-35mm for my 5D MK II, so I may just get it and have a lens I can use for both.  I've had a 17-40mm L, and the 17-55 was so much better on a 40D.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
I agree, the AF and the supurb build as well as long battery live are the main difference between 5D MK II and 1Ds MK III.

Just like to add that there's the extra memory card slot  ;)

From my experience (actually, my coworkers' - but I hear them complain enough, so I guess it's mine in a way :P), the biggest appeal of the 5D2 over the 1Ds3 is the size. With both yielding roughly the same image quality, why lug around a body that's heavier/bulkier when you can avoid it?

Unless you work in an environment that's harsh on the camera body (rain, snow, lots of smoke and dust, etc.), the 5D2 is usually the preferred choice.

@aldvan: I'm not exactly sure of your situation, but if you absolutely need an second camera body, why not just get another 5D2? You can always get a used/refurb body and sell it once the 5D3 comes out... After all, you already mentioned that ur happy with the current machine.

Of course, that's if you absolutely need a second body. If not, you might as well start saving up for the 5D3 or 1DsIV.

Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

aldvan

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »

@aldvan: I'm not exactly sure of your situation, but if you absolutely need an second camera body, why not just get another 5D2? You can always get a used/refurb body and sell it once the 5D3 comes out... After all, you already mentioned that ur happy with the current machine.

I admit that this was one of my first ideas. Same command layout, total interchangeability. The plus of a 1Ds is in a way related to the better AF, not for the AF itself, but for the ability to manage the 1.4 extender on my 100-400, opposed to the 5D's...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:41:42 AM »

I admit that this was one of my first ideas. Same command layout, total interchangeability. The plus of a 1Ds is in a way related to the better AF, not for the AF itself, but for the ability to manage the 1.4 extender on my 100-400, opposed to the 5D's...

Yeah, that really can be a tough choice.

OK, let me lay out the alternative bodies here:

1. rid 7D, get 1Ds3
2. rid 7D, get another 5D2
3. hold onto 7D, wait for 5D3 (or 1Ds4)

So u've ruled out #2, leaving you with #1 (which leaves you at a loss of nearly 4 grands for an older body) or #3 (putting ur trust with the fickle finger of Fate). Truthfully speaking, neither sounds good.

Well, if you can wait for a while before making ur choice, why not rent the 1Ds3 for a weekend and see if you like it? That experience should give you a better idea of whether you want the 1Ds3 (You might even want to try out the 1D4, since that's the model with current top-of-the-line tech).
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

aldvan

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:09 AM »
The proposed trading was too good... I opted for the 1Ds III, I think that its value shouldn't go down too much in one-two years, and playing with a 1 should be a nice experience in any case...

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
That was fast  ;D

Anyways, congratulations on joining the 1D/Ds user rank aldvan.

Compared to the 5D2, the weight and size of the 1D-series body takes a little while to get used to. However, the good part about the 1D/Ds models is that it sure can take some abuse (not that you should go out of the way to abuse it).

Another thing you might find awkward at first is the lack of dials - you have to access everything by pressing buttons pretty much.

Hope you have fun with your new 5d2 partner!
FujiFilm FinePix X100

aldvan

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »
Thanks, ronderick! I'll report my first impressions when I'll receive the camera. I'm very intrigued by that mamouth!

chuckjr

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
Keep us posted aldvan. I went over a similar situation a few months ago but ended up with a 7D and 5dMII combo.

aldvan

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
Keep us posted aldvan. I went over a similar situation a few months ago but ended up with a 7D and 5dMII combo.
The 5+7 combo is the one that I didn't like. My former 7D is gone now and the 1Ds is sent and expected to arrive in a couple of days...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »

osullis

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 03:06:22 AM »
What were the initial objections against the image quality of the 7D? Was it anything other than the noise at high ISO relative to the FF sensors of the 5D II?

aldvan

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 07:38:25 AM »
What were the initial objections against the image quality of the 7D? Was it anything other than the noise at high ISO relative to the FF sensors of the 5D II?
I rarely take a picture at high ISO. The noise issue, compared to a FF sensor, appears at any ISO value. If seldom I have to correct 5D2 noise in LR,  with the 7D I can  rarely do without...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 07:38:25 AM »