December 21, 2014, 04:04:18 PM

Author Topic: 5D III and 300 2.8 II hit rate for sharp pictures very low  (Read 8524 times)

bjd

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D III and 300 2.8 II hit rate for sharp pictures very low
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »
Hi BJD - I had read this article on AI Servo settings a few days ago wanting to get even more in focus BIF shots.  That 5DM3 has a lot of options for tweaking AI Servo.  If you've not gone through these setings (all 6 cases with 3 settings on each) then this article may help you:

http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0512.html

Hey Rev, that a very good guide. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be trying out some of the tips ASAP.
Cheers Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi AlanF
Hi John,

got it. I made everything wrong what I could do wrong.
John I did read again your article http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/AF-Microadjustment-Tips.aspx

Ok so I will try now the live view / normal AF comparison.
I will us the the png file from your article

Thank you again very much for your help.

Bye
Flo

I really have to say that the AFMA article by nuero is very well done.  Thanks for that!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

bjd

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
Hi BJD - I had read this article on AI Servo settings a few days ago wanting to get even more in focus BIF shots.  That 5DM3 has a lot of options for tweaking AI Servo.  If you've not gone through these setings (all 6 cases with 3 settings on each) then this article may help you:

http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0512.html
So, my problem is sorted, at least partially. I saw that all shots at 70mm were pretty sharp and all at 200mm were back focussed. So I took out the AFMA and it was immediately better. I just cannot seem to get any consistent results with Focal at the moment. I only have one place in the house where I can get far enough away from the target, and natural light is very dull at the moment so I intend to try again with Focal as soon as we have a sunny day.
Next thing is to check that I am getting the Camera to focus where I want it to!
Cheers Brian

Here a new example at 200mm.

al2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
The AFMA setting is dependent on distance.  If your shot was at a significantly different distance than what you used to make the AFMA adjustment the focus could be visibly wrong.  With a zoom lens not only do you have to account for the change in focal length, you also might have to allow for a change in distance.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »