July 28, 2014, 08:32:58 AM

Author Topic: Warning: you have sent something someone could consider offensive.  (Read 5838 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Yeah, ok, great, but given that there is no link provided to the actual text or post that was deemed offensive, it's impossible to know what someone thought was actually offensive.

In other words, I've read it but I can't actually do anything because I don't know to what the problem is referring to, so I'll just delete it and effectively ignore it.

In addition, I'm apologizing in to the moderators for not being able to read their mind and know what they were thinking at the time. I'm also apologizing in advance for repeating whatever they think I said wrong because it seems more than likely that I'll do it again since I don't know what I did wrong in the first place.

Thanks guys!

p.s. The message generated includes a "Do not reply to this" but the email that I get includes as "to reply to this, click here." Someone actually tests this stuff before it goes into production, right?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:56:12 AM by dilbert »

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: you have sent something someone could consider offensive.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
I'm guessing it was this one, unless you typed those asterisks yourself...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »
I received a 5 day ban several months ago for typing a few asterisks in a thread on another forum. I was attempting a light hearted reply to a very heavy handed moderators condemnation of something I'd previously posted, but obviously it was misconstrued.

Still, its their loss, because I refuse to accept a seemingly random ban, even a short one, for no reason and will never return. Moderators can be and are generally excellent, but on this other site in particular they seem to be the problem not the solution.

ANY forum response needs to be fully explained, an effective opportunity to respond offered and an unbiassed third party used to adjudicate the two sides. If this is too much effort, then find another line of work.

I'd like to make it abundantly clear I find this site very friendly and open. I've also got no intention of naming the other forum.   

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »
Its a standard canned response.  I sent it.  This is a family friendly forum, and F*** words are unacceptable.

We want everone to find the site useful and enjoyable.

I'll see if I can't do a better job of letting people know what the issue is, but the SMF software does not have a easy way to point at the exact post.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
Its a standard canned response.  I sent it.  This is a family friendly forum, and F*** words are unacceptable.

We want everone to find the site useful and enjoyable.

I'll see if I can't do a better job of letting people know what the issue is, but the SMF software does not have a easy way to point at the exact post.

Ah, it was something I said to myself, not in response to someone else!

Including a pointer to the exact post would be a great start.

I can't help but wonder though, if anyone is old enough and knowledgeable enough to use this website, what are the chances that they aren't already aware of the expanded English vocabulary? Or is this more to do with web site filters and programmatic rating based on observed content?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
If the post in question used all asterisks, how could that be deemed offensive and  family un-friendly?

The moderator is making an insinuation or assumption as to what the author of the post wrote or implicitly implied ... from what I saw, the post was all asterisks -- not accompanied by a leading letter which then one could draw an assumption as to what the author intended to communicate.

No assumption was made - the moderator edited the original post, replacing the word in question with asterisks.

Yes, we're all adults here.  But, civility and decorum are still virtues, at least to some.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
No assumption was made - the moderator edited the original post, replacing the word in question with asterisks.

Yes, we're all adults here.  But, civility and decorum are still virtues, at least to some.

Do you think that facebook censors out such words for minors in the interests of being "family friendly"?

If there were technical reasons (such as web filters/nanny or rating programs getting their nickers in a knot), I could understand it. But otherwise, thinking that members of your family do not have access to nor use such language is probably naive if they are on the Internet.

I should add that I'm not trying to argue that we should swear/cuss in every post or with every second word, rather have realistic goals and ideals.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
Unfortunately, when a flame war starts, or one person starts pushing the envelope, than it can snowball out of control quickly.  Its better to ask psers to stop at a early point before it gets seriously nasty.

ReyMorlu

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
I have recived one of this xxxxxx messages, only once... till now... because of someone, who have reported it to moderator... (a tattletale)  :P who was ofended... he must be a child then, I think, after reading the previous posts... Or an uncultivated senior very puritanical!
Why uncultivated??? Because he musn't have read many books WHERE LANGUAJE IS NOT CENSORED TO ANY ONE, and even in TV interviews, people like the Literature Novel Priced Camilo Jose Cela, always spoke however he liked, using swearwords BECAUSE THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT WAY to enphasize -in his opinion- the meaning of your speach.
A novel prize can, but not the rest...?
...and which words???? gimme a list guys!

BUT OK we (or me) assume that this (CR) is not a technical adult photo-page, but a "Disney Page" LOL

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
to those who enjoy the use of asterix-laden words:

I get that you are using it to make a point (hopefully a mature one).  but if you're really telling me you have no better way of expressing yourselves than to resort to expletives ... I don't know, maybe a creative writing class should be your next christmas gift.  there's hundreds of years of powerful and/or hilarious writing and rhetoric out there that never has to use language that would be censored by CR's bot.

I'm not saying it's low or whatever, I know I use expletives more than I should in my free time.  but to feel that it's a neccessity to express yourself that way ... unneeded, I guarantee it.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
I have recived one of this xxxxxx messages, only once... till now... because of someone, who have reported it to moderator... (a tattletale)  :P who was ofended... he must be a child then, I think, after reading the previous posts... Or an uncultivated senior very puritanical!
Why uncultivated??? Because he musn't have read many books WHERE LANGUAJE IS NOT CENSORED TO ANY ONE, and even in TV interviews, people like the Literature Novel Priced Camilo Jose Cela, always spoke however he liked, using swearwords BECAUSE THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT WAY to enphasize -in his opinion- the meaning of your speach.
A novel prize can, but not the rest...?
...and which words???? gimme a list guys!

BUT OK we (or me) assume that this (CR) is not a technical adult photo-page, but a "Disney Page" LOL

I personally, as a moderator, don't warn for profanity.  I just change the post and go about my way.  And if Camilo Jose Cela happens across this forum, they will get moderated too.

In real life I swear like a sailor (or like the former Marine I actually am), but this site isn't my personal sandbox.  I've been entrusted with it's care by the site owner, who wishes the site to be profanity free.  So that's the way it will stay.  People that don't respect that, are free to leave any time.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
to those who enjoy the use of asterix-laden words:

I get that you are using it to make a point (hopefully a mature one).  but if you're really telling me you have no better way of expressing yourselves than to resort to expletives ... I don't know, maybe a creative writing class should be your next christmas gift.  there's hundreds of years of powerful and/or hilarious writing and rhetoric out there that never has to use language that would be censored by CR's bot.

I'm not saying it's low or whatever, I know I use expletives more than I should in my free time.  but to feel that it's a neccessity to express yourself that way ... unneeded, I guarantee it.

Why shouldn't we write the way that we talk?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »