October 20, 2014, 06:51:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012  (Read 23268 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
Even at the high end
For all the flack Canon gets from us passionate pundits, they continue to sell more DSLR cameras than anyone else.

Interchangeable Lens Camera Marketshare for 2012 (Japan)

1. Canon 28.6%
  2. Nikon 25%
  3. Olympus 14.3%
  4. Sony 13.3%
  5. Panasonic 11.3%

An interesting note about Canon, if you remove the lowend of the DSLR market (Rebels, D3xxx/D5xxx), Canon’s marketshare increases. I imagine the 5D Mark III plays a big part in that, as well as the EOS-1D X.

Canon’s performance in the mirrorless segment cannot be properly measured until the 2013 numbers come in. For 2012, they sat at 2.1% marketshare.

Source: [TH] via [BCN]

Canon EOS-1D X at B&H Photo for $6728

cr

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:07:37 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
Re: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
An interesting note about Canon, if you remove the lowend of the DSLR market (Rebels, D3xxx/D5xxx), Canon’s marketshare increases. I imagine the 5D Mark III plays a big part in that, as well as the EOS-1D X.

I imagine that the still available 5D Mark II also played a part in that as it dropped to levels that made it accessible to a whole lot of new people.

The key to interpreting these numbers meaningfully is to look at change in percentage of the market that each of the respective companies had last year. Further, these numbers consider more than just DSLRs except that for Canon it only represents DSLRs.

Does anyone have the percentages for 2010 and 2011 for ILC camera sales?

spam

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:16:22 PM »
These numbers are including mirrorless, so Canon's marketshare is bound to increase if you remove low end which means removing most of the mirrorless models.

dan

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
awesome, i contributed to this sale figure.  got my 5d mark iii after being fess up with nikon latest QA.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
But.....but.....Nikon is "better," isn't it?  DxOMark says so, it must be true.  What am I missing?!?  Oh, wait, I know....REALITY.

:P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
But.....but.....Nikon is "better," isn't it?  DxOMark says so, it must be true.  What am I missing?!?  Oh, wait, I know....REALITY.

Alas, Nikonistas will say that us Canonistas all over the world live in a false reality... the number of cameras sold does not make one the better camera.

:)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »
Alas, Nikonistas will say that us Canonistas all over the world live in a false reality... the number of cameras sold does not make one the better camera.

Ahhhh, so the majority of people are intentionally buying inferior cameras, or are not savvy enough to determine what's a better camera.  If that thought is what lets you sleep at night.....
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »

No.  Just, no.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Bombsight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
The majority has spoken.

I'm a believer!  ;D

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »
There is nothing like canon primes. Fantastic.

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
The majority has spoken.

I'm a believer!  ;D

Yes, this is a glorious day for Canonistas in this forum. Better make this post sticky for future references for those who dare bash Canon again... :)

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »
The high price of the 5D mark III at launch in combination with it's more massive appeal compared to it's direct competitors may have also helped =P
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »

Ahhhh, so the majority of people are intentionally buying inferior cameras, or are not savvy enough to determine what's a better camera.  If that thought is what lets you sleep at night.....

No, they're not savvy enough. Even shop assistants who advise people are not savvy enough.

By definition, masses of people can't be made of experts. It's quite clearly a paradox.

In fact, if we go by the number of units sold, then the 18-55 IS and the 50/1.8 are likely to be considered as the best lenses ever. Or in the same way, if Canon sells more rebels than 1DX, then Rebels are better.

Quite a childish way of reasoning.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »

No, they're not savvy enough. Even shop assistants who advise people are not savvy enough.

By definition, masses of people can't be made of experts. It's quite clearly a paradox.

In fact, if we go by the number of units sold, then the 18-55 IS and the 50/1.8 are likely to be considered as the best lenses ever. Or in the same way, if Canon sells more rebels than 1DX, then Rebels are better.

Quite a childish way of reasoning.

What's interesting is that you list two lenses that obviously sell more units due to price, in my opinion that is.  Now take DSLR's.  Everybody complains about how Canon is overpriced relative to Nikon.  Yet they still sell more of them.  I'm going to guess it's because the majority of the market believes Canon to be a better DSLR.  There has to be some reason why this is, don't you think?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
An interesting implication to the data us that canons low end market share is not as high, maybe equal or that Nikon may lead in this segment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »