December 22, 2014, 08:43:17 AM

Author Topic: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012  (Read 25032 times)

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »
Alas, Nikonistas will say that us Canonistas all over the world live in a false reality... the number of cameras sold does not make one the better camera.

:)

Ahhhh, so the majority of people are intentionally buying inferior cameras, or are not savvy enough to determine what's a better camera.  If that thought is what lets you sleep at night.....

No, they're not savvy enough. Even shop assistants who advise people are not savvy enough.

By definition, masses of people can't be made of experts. It's quite clearly a paradox.

In fact, if we go by the number of units sold, then the 18-55 IS and the 50/1.8 are likely to be considered as the best lenses ever. Or in the same way, if Canon sells more rebels than 1DX, then Rebels are better.

Quite a childish way of reasoning.

What's interesting is that you list two lenses that obviously sell more units due to price, in my opinion that is.  Now take DSLR's.  Everybody complains about how Canon is overpriced relative to Nikon.  Yet they still sell more of them.  I'm going to guess it's because the majority of the market believes Canon to be a better DSLR.  There has to be some reason why this is, don't you think?

Then we totally agree: sales figures mean nothing to us end users.

Pros and other people who are heavily invested in a system are obviously reluctant to change system. Canon has had the lead for more or less 20 years and they're still getting revenues on that, so it's hardly a measure of the situation in this exact moment.

On the other hand, consumers have most likely no deep understanding of specs, graphs, etc, and are heavily influenced by advertising, discounts, and whatever. So their choice is also hardly relevant in determining who is better than who.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
I totally get that.  Do you think then, that Canon advertises better, influences the market more?  You're right, as a pro I never really paid attention, but maybe this is the case?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
I totally get that.  Do you think then, that Canon advertises better, influences the market more?  You're right, as a pro I never really paid attention, but maybe this is the case?

Nikon 1 system is all but utterly marvellous, yet appartently it sells like hot cake. The same can be said about the iPhone series, and many other "trendy" things.

I think a lot of things are to be taken into account, but recently it seems to me that best selling products are those that look cute and have an almost non-existent learning curve. These features appear to be more important than the end result or the value for money.

So ultimately it might well just be that Canon cameras look more slick and are easier to use.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
Alas, Nikonistas will say that us Canonistas all over the world live in a false reality... the number of cameras sold does not make one the better camera.

Ahhhh, so the majority of people are intentionally buying inferior cameras, or are not savvy enough to determine what's a better camera.  If that thought is what lets you sleep at night.....

No, they're not savvy enough. Even shop assistants who advise people are not savvy enough.

By definition, masses of people can't be made of experts. It's quite clearly a paradox.

In fact, if we go by the number of units sold, then the 18-55 IS and the 50/1.8 are likely to be considered as the best lenses ever. Or in the same way, if Canon sells more rebels than 1DX, then Rebels are better.

Quite an oversimplification, something children do frequently, although in that case it's usually not intentional obfuscation.  Obviously, the market as a whole is segmented - a large customer base at the low end choosing between Canon xxxD vs. Nikon D3xx/D5xx, fewer choosing between Canon 5D-series vs. Nikon Dx00, Canon 1-series vs. Nikon Dx, etc., and in aggregate, more buyers preferred Canon.

You own choice may have landed you in the minority, that's perfectly fine.  Denigrating others whose choice puts them in the majority...well, that seems childish to me.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

MaxPower

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
So ultimately it might well just be that Canon cameras look more slick and are easier to use.

For me this was true, I don't like the Nikon look and feel.
So I buyed two canon bodys this year, ignoring the D7000 and D600 totally as valid choices.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:52:50 PM by MaxPower »
6D - 15-85mm - 60mm Macro USM - 40mm f/2.8 STM - Sigma 35 1.4 - Canon 100mm Macro - 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM - 100-400mm L IS USM - some Speedlites...
www.flickr.com/photos/damuellen/

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »

Quite an oversimplification, something children do frequently, although in that case it's usually not intentional obfuscation.  Obviously, the market as a whole is segmented - a large customer base at the low end choosing between Canon xxxD vs. Nikon D3xx/D5xx, Canon 5D-series vs. Nikon Dx00, Canon 1-series vs. Nikon Dx, etc., and in aggregate, more buyers preferred Canon.

You own choice may have landed you in the minority, that's perfectly fine.  Denigrating others whose choice puts them in the majority...well, that seems childish to me.

In fact I never denigrated anyone for choosing Canon. It would be quite peculiar, since I also did it.

I am stating that assuming who is better than who on the basis of sale figures is absolutely ridiculous, and that indeed this is oversimplifying. I agree, something children do frequently.

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »

Wow, take it to the extremes would you. If you're going to compare sales, then at least do so within the same category. 'Cause by your same reasoning the best cars in the world are the Toyota Corollas and the Honda Civics - forget the Porsches, BMWs, Bentleys, and the like.

And if I recall, wasn't it just recently that someone posted Nikon sales figures besting Canon's to flout Nikon as being better?

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone here responded that Canon sales figures mean nothing. Well Nikonistas, if you can come up with hard, verifiable numbers to back up your claims that most people believe that your Nikons are better, I'm all ears. Until then, sales figures are king.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
O no, the gap is getting smaller and smaller ;D ;D ;D
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »

I agree, that is a childish way of reasoning, if that were the case. Did you read the entire post? Canon's marketshare increases when the lower end of sales including rebels are removed. Of course shop assistants aren't savvy enough! They're not supposed to be, they just need to know enough to do their job. Those who know more don't need that knowledge to sell. Sales are their priority, not photography. More lower end bodies only sell for one reason, price. That's why they're better for the "masses" because they're not all millionaires with big lens collections. You have to give people more credit than that when making purchase decisions, especially these days when they can just google information instead of going down to the store and talking to a "shop assistant". No one goes to DXO first to read dynamic range mumbo jumbo to buy their first camera. No, most people I know that shop for the camera have seen results from sites like flickR and places offline where Canon is dominant like event related activities. Heck, the internet is a false reality and Nikon is a better camera because of it. It's like saying "I should buy a Nikon just to look like I'm not part of the mass." Now THAT would be a childish way of reasoning.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

scarbo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

Nikon 1 system is all but utterly marvellous, yet appartently it sells like hot cake. The same can be said about the iPhone series, and many other "trendy" things.

I think a lot of things are to be taken into account, but recently it seems to me that best selling products are those that look cute and have an almost non-existent learning curve. These features appear to be more important than the end result or the value for money.

Yes, I think looks is a key factor with most consumer products. That's a big part of the reason why Apple does so well despite often selling less spec for more money.

scarbo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
Anyway, why do people care so much that the manufacturer of their camera is selling more merchandise than a rival manufacturer? I can understand being curious who sells more, but I would expect the interest to merely be academic and completely dispassionate.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »

I agree, that is a childish way of reasoning, if that were the case. Did you read the entire post? Canon's marketshare increases when the lower end of sales including rebels are removed. Of course shop assistants aren't savvy enough! They're not supposed to be, they just need to know enough to do their job. Those who know more don't need that knowledge to sell. Sales are their priority, not photography. More lower end bodies only sell for one reason, price. That's why they're better for the "masses" because they're not all millionaires with big lens collections. You have to give people more credit than that when making purchase decisions, especially these days when they can just google information instead of going down to the store and talking to a "shop assistant". No one goes to DXO first to read dynamic range mumbo jumbo to buy their first camera. No, most people I know that shop for the camera have seen results from sites like flickR and places offline where Canon is dominant like event related activities. Heck, the internet is a false reality and Nikon is a better camera because of it. It's like saying "I should buy a Nikon just to look like I'm not part of the mass." Now THAT would be a childish way of reasoning.

Ok, but WHY is Canon dominant on these websites and WHY is Canon dominant in the masses, and Nikon ISN'T?  Why can Canon dominate the mass market and Nikon can't?  Why?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
You're arguing that Canon isn't dominating the market because they are a better camera, with absolutely no data at all.  Where is your data to support your claims?  Do you KNOW that Canon isn't dominant because they have better DSLR's?  Show us some statistical data, or heck, ANY data, that supports the claim that the reason Canon dominates the market ISN'T because they make a better camera.  And no, I don't owe you any data because I'm not making any claims as to why and who has a better camera.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

gngan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »

What's interesting is that you list two lenses that obviously sell more units due to price, in my opinion that is.  Now take DSLR's.  Everybody complains about how Canon is overpriced relative to Nikon.  Yet they still sell more of them.  I'm going to guess it's because the majority of the market believes Canon to be a better DSLR.  There has to be some reason why this is, don't you think?

I just bought a 5D III but i was tempt to buy a Nikon. I bought a Canon because I had a 550D and will be giving to my wife. So we can share our lenses. I do NOT believe Canon is a better DSLR because i think Canon/Nikon has its good/bad. So you need to take brand loyalty into consideration. Most people do not do their research when they buy cameras. They are usually affected by friends/family, advertisement (Canon has more).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:33:30 PM by gngan »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
I am stating that assuming who is better than who on the basis of sale figures is absolutely ridiculous, and that indeed this is oversimplifying. I agree, something children do frequently.

So, what objective measure would you propose to determine 'better' - bearing in mind that's a rather subjective term. Which is the 'better' candidate in an election?  Depends on who you ask, what their needs are, and how well those needs are likely to be met by that candidate.  But after the election, there's a winner and a loser. Which is the better camera?  Depends on who you ask, what their needs are, and how well those needs are likely to be met by that camera.  But like a tally of votes, a tally of sales separates the winner from the loser.  Fortunately for everyone, those who chose the losing camera brand aren't required to live with the features of the winning camera brand. Heck, even the Green Party Pentax supporters get their own way.  :-X
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »