October 23, 2014, 04:58:27 PM

Author Topic: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012  (Read 23413 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
Just to add to that, didn't the sales indicate that both the lower end (Rebel) and high-end (5dIII & 1DX) categories both belong to Canon?  I would think that photogs in the 'pro' class would of done their homework, not just go out and blindly purchase.

Actually, In the pro market I would expect them to look at the combination of camera and lens..... and I think we all have to admit that Canon's selection of high end L glass makes it onto our "if I won the lottery " list.. This has to be a big factor for a pro deciding which way to lean.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
Just to add to that, didn't the sales indicate that both the lower end (Rebel) and high-end (5dIII & 1DX) categories both belong to Canon?  I would think that photogs in the 'pro' class would of done their homework, not just go out and blindly purchase.

Actually, In the pro market I would expect them to look at the combination of camera and lens..... and I think we all have to admit that Canon's selection of high end L glass makes it onto our "if I won the lottery " list.. This has to be a big factor for a pro deciding which way to lean.

Exactly, couldn't agree more.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
However, I'd neither call the 600mm lens hand holdable...
The 600 II is approximately the same weight as the 500/4 MkI, which is generally considered to be a handholdable lens.  So, may I ask, on what experience are you basing that statement?  FYI, when I stated, "Show me someone else's 600mm f/4 lens that I can handhold," I was not speaking in generic terms. I own a 600mm f/4L IS II, and I assure you that I can handhold it.

Handholding a lens is more about technique than the size of the lens. How many people do you see snapping pictures with thier elbows way up in the air? I have no doubt that if Neuro says he can hand-hold a 600 II, that he can. I can handhold a 400/5.6 with a 1.4 teleconverter and it has no image stabilization, yet I see people getting blurry pictures from an image-stabilized 200mm... Technique and practice are indespensable!
The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
I have no doubt that if Neuro says he can hand-hold a 600 II, that he can.

:D

Americal Bittern in flight, handheld, 1D X, 600 II with 2xIII: 1200mm, 1/1600 s, f/8, ISO 3200.  1/1600 s, f/6.3 (or 8, since that was max with the 2x) are my BIF settings, I've handheld at shutter speeds down to 1/125 with the bare lens, and could likely go slower.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 05:05:43 AM »
Alas, Nikonistas will say that us Canonistas all over the world live in a false reality... the number of cameras sold does not make one the better camera.

:)

Ahhhh, so the majority of people are intentionally buying inferior cameras, or are not savvy enough to determine what's a better camera.  If that thought is what lets you sleep at night.....

No, they're not savvy enough. Even shop assistants who advise people are not savvy enough.

By definition, masses of people can't be made of experts. It's quite clearly a paradox.

In fact, if we go by the number of units sold, then the 18-55 IS and the 50/1.8 are likely to be considered as the best lenses ever. Or in the same way, if Canon sells more rebels than 1DX, then Rebels are better.

Quite a childish way of reasoning.

What's interesting is that you list two lenses that obviously sell more units due to price, in my opinion that is.  Now take DSLR's.  Everybody complains about how Canon is overpriced relative to Nikon.  Yet they still sell more of them.  I'm going to guess it's because the majority of the market believes Canon to be a better DSLR.  There has to be some reason why this is, don't you think?

Then we totally agree: sales figures mean nothing to us end users.

Pros and other people who are heavily invested in a system are obviously reluctant to change system. Canon has had the lead for more or less 20 years and they're still getting revenues on that, so it's hardly a measure of the situation in this exact moment.

On the other hand, consumers have most likely no deep understanding of specs, graphs, etc, and are heavily influenced by advertising, discounts, and whatever. So their choice is also hardly relevant in determining who is better than who.

Agree
Graphs don't take great pictures.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:26 AM »
Alas, Nikonistas will say that us Canonistas all over the world live in a false reality... the number of cameras sold does not make one the better camera.

:)

Ahhhh, so the majority of people are intentionally buying inferior cameras, or are not savvy enough to determine what's a better camera.  If that thought is what lets you sleep at night.....

No, they're not savvy enough. Even shop assistants who advise people are not savvy enough.

By definition, masses of people can't be made of experts. It's quite clearly a paradox.

In fact, if we go by the number of units sold, then the 18-55 IS and the 50/1.8 are likely to be considered as the best lenses ever. Or in the same way, if Canon sells more rebels than 1DX, then Rebels are better.

Quite a childish way of reasoning.

What's interesting is that you list two lenses that obviously sell more units due to price, in my opinion that is.  Now take DSLR's.  Everybody complains about how Canon is overpriced relative to Nikon.  Yet they still sell more of them.  I'm going to guess it's because the majority of the market believes Canon to be a better DSLR.  There has to be some reason why this is, don't you think?

Then we totally agree: sales figures mean nothing to us end users.

Pros and other people who are heavily invested in a system are obviously reluctant to change system. Canon has had the lead for more or less 20 years and they're still getting revenues on that, so it's hardly a measure of the situation in this exact moment.

On the other hand, consumers have most likely no deep understanding of specs, graphs, etc, and are heavily influenced by advertising, discounts, and whatever. So their choice is also hardly relevant in determining who is better than who.

Seems logical to me. Many inferior cars sell more than better cars....

Not saying Canon or Nikon is better. But volume of sales does not seem to indicate quality of product.

Of course volume of sales doesn't indicate better or worse quality.  I would have been fine if some of the more ignorant posters had left it at that.  I'm ok with:  "Just because Canon sold more, doesn't mean they sell better products."  Are you with me?  That's not what the people against Canon argued.  They argued, rather, that, "Higher sales couldn't possibly mean better product, because Canon has an inferior product." 

Do you understand?

Yes do. Not only understand, but agree. Totally agree.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
sanj,

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't mean YOUR post was against what I was arguing.  I was simply using your post because it contained material that I could use from other comments.  I knew you agreed and I was not disagreeing with you!  :).
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
Yes Bdundar. No confusion.  :D

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »

Exactly, couldn't agree more.

As does service centre quality, and ubiquity.
If you're a pro journalist, and the equipment locker at the office is all white lenses, having a Canon body is likely going to be your choice.  Similarly, if you're the owner of the same pro equipment that you need to photograph events, knowing that if it goes down, you'll have it back in a matter of days, is crucially important.

Finally, Canon selling the most DSLRs is a good benefit to us Canon shooters, as it enables Canon to put more money in to R&D, giving us better lenses and bodies.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »