July 29, 2014, 01:29:27 AM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless on the Horizon?  (Read 13349 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Mirrorless on the Horizon?
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

The inevitable coming soon?

In an interview with Reuters, the head of the camera division Masaya Maeda says Canon is ”…considering the technical aspects,” in regards to the mirrorless segment.

He also goes on to say that ”We will launch an interesting product next year,” saying that it is “small”, but didn’t specify if it was a mirrorless camera system or not.

Read the full article

thanks m

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Mirrorless on the Horizon?
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

polpaulin

Re: Canon Mirrorless on the Horizon?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
18x24 sensor
EVF
interchangeable lenses
pancake lenses

I take it

jimmy156

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
Hi everyone, have read these forums for years but only just registered.

Is the consensus that if canon make a mirror-less camera it will have the EF mount or not?

If it was to have the EF mount it could be very interesting for me as a second camera to sling in my camera bag that would be compatible with all my lenses/accessories.

James

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
Hi everyone, have read these forums for years but only just registered.

Is the consensus that if canon make a mirror-less camera it will have the EF mount or not?

If it was to have the EF mount it could be very interesting for me as a second camera to sling in my camera bag that would be compatible with all my lenses/accessories.

James
I'd hope that a convertors was available for EF/EFS lenses. I'd assume a new smaller family of lenses though.
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »
I'm sure it will have adapters for EF lenses. But natively I don't think it could support it due to the small size. the sensor would be very close to the back of the lens.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:00:55 PM by EYEONE »
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »
18x24 sensor
EVF
interchangeable lenses
pancake lenses

I take it
May I add 3 more requirement??
1. Shutter delay close to DSLR. I do not want point and shoot shutter delay.
2. With adapter for EF, EF-S lenses.
3. Adapter for Leica M lenses (i would be giving up auto focus for this) as a wish list.

zerotiu

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »
what the  :o.. I AM really shocked by this news. I've been thinking to buy a new e-p3. You know, sometimes it's nice to have small camera with you, fast AF, any moment can always be captured and it is not intimidating if you want to do street photography.

and then this news come out from nowhere hahaha  ;D

and I agree with EYEONE, EF lenses definitely can't be attached on 4/3 camera (will it be a 4/3 camera?). Unless canon have EF adapter.. wow it will be so goooooood.

However, e-p3 is still on my list. I will be old if I wait for the release of canon mirror-less camera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
It would be great to see Canon dive in against the exist strong competition in the mirrorless market.  Canon has dominated the point and shoot and SLR market and I think could use that strength to undercut competitors by releasing a superior product at a lower price.  Let's just make sure that whatever mirrorless camera they release has a direct print button, or I'm not buying it.
Gear! When do we get gear?!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »
and I agree with EYEONE, EF lenses definitely can't be attached on 4/3 camera (will it be a 4/3 camera?). Unless canon have EF adapter.. wow it will be so goooooood.

However, e-p3 is still on my list. I will be old if I wait for the release of canon mirror-less camera

Not directly attached, no.  But there are EF-to-m4/3 adapters available, e.g. this one on Amazon, rebranded for Fotodiox and others, and blogged about here

If Canon does bring a mirrorless camera to market, I'm certain they'll release an EF-/EF-S mount adapter.  Given that such an adapter will contain no optics, but presumably provide electrical contacts to allow AF, aperture control, power for IS, etc., such an adapter would be analagous to an Extension Tube.  Based on that analogy, Canon may charge ~$100 for such an adapter.  Of course, Canon being Canon, and their marketing department knowing a major segment of those interested in a mirrorless body would already own a few EF/EF-S lenses, well, they'd have us over a barrel, so to speak, especially if they somehow chipped the new bodies so data would only be transmitted through their branded adapter...in that case, I'd expect a much higher price tag.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:32:10 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
neuro, I think $100 is quite a lot for an adapter already, so I'd hope that's at the high end of the estimate spectrum, rather than the low end.

I feel that m4/3 is out of the question in terms of sensor format.  Canon makes excellent APS-C sensors, and Sony has demonstrated you can put APS-C sensors into incredibly small bodies.  there's no reason to end up with a fourth (third if you're a believer in the possible demise of APS-H) sensor production line.

I actually hope they don't make the body quite as skinny and awkward as the sony bodies.  given the size of lens that still needs to be attached to the camera, the NEX cameras are strange to see and strange to hold.

goodmane

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
@ Eagle eye - very funny :)

So long as this has unfettered ETTL hotshoe support  - by which I mean it must work in manual mode unlike my G9, and has ETTL master built-in ala 7D -  and a compact lens, and looks nice and easy for my wife to use I'll buy it.

Another feature I would love is the option to enable RAW on full AUTO somewhere in the settings, so I can hand it to someone on AUTO and process their iffy exposures later. If its buried deep enough in the settings, it can only be a good thing. Sure, my wife uses P mode at the moment on G9 but there are way to many settings that can be altered and she frequently switches it back to AUTO if she gets confused, leaving us with crappy jpegs. 

goodmane

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
Also I should qualify my post; for a walkabout high quality camera, video is mandatory for me. I use the video on my G9 50% of the time.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
Also I should qualify my post; for a walkabout high quality camera, video is mandatory for me. I use the video on my G9 50% of the time.
I don't use the video function, but I certainly don't mind that its there.  I might actually use video if it becomes practical, meaning with autofocus, IS, good sound, ... all the things my Sony camcorder has.

When I first bought my 5D MK II,  tried the video, and it produces a impressive result, considering that it came at no extra cost.  Still, It hasn't yet reached the stage to be practical for casual use, like photographing a kids soccer game or basketball game.  and, even with IS, you need some sort of support for long video clips. I start wavering after 2 or 3 minutes.

I expect to see improvements on new models, Canon has the lead for large sensor DSLR's, and will try to keep it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »

tiagomlalves

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
my 5-cents here:
- Digital full-frame version of Canon 7 w/ 50mm f/0.95 to directly compete with M9
- don't really care about lenses mount as long as it can mount some M lenses (via adaptor or not)
- Couple of extra lenses 28/35/50/90mm would be nice

Are there other canon fans that would vote for this?

UncleFester

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
So, if I'm going to use EF-S lenses, wouldn't it make more sense to use a DSLR?

I'm a little lost on why mirror-less is excting, besides just having another gadget.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »