December 17, 2017, 03:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Which camera setting affect the RAW image ? (NR - Color - Sharpness - etc...)  (Read 16126 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
So we are all in agreement what I put in bold (and increased font size) below is incorrect information?

For the 1D X and presumably the 5DIII, I think so. But...I have a recollection of waiting much longer with previous cameras, so something may have changed (perhaps Canon now extrapolates the noise to save time? Or perhaps my recollection is wrong...maybe I'll pull out the 7D tomorrow and check, if no one beats me to it.).
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II
I'll be waiting anxiously. ;)

If you don't, I will get my brothers 7D at some point and get to the bottom of this.
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

ahab1372

• EOS 6D Mark II
Just tried on a T3i.  For a 25s exposure it took a 25s dark frame
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:26:40 AM by ahab1372 »

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
One more question... Long exposure NR, does it do a good job on Canon camera or better turn it off and fix the image in Lightroom or DPP ?

In-camera long-exposure NR does a great job of eliminating hot-pixels if you have the time to spare for it to expose and subtract dark frames = to exposure time (up to 30s at least)

BUT, it also INCREASES the baseline (blacklevel) noise slightly on all the the Canon cameras I've tested. (and there's lots)

you probably won't notice this increased black level noise unless you are also pushing the dark areas up in post to do something like show more foreground detail in a starry sky shot.

I now use a different method to shoot and post-process such shots.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
For the 1D X and presumably the 5DIII, I think so. But...I have a recollection of waiting much longer with previous cameras, so something may have changed (perhaps Canon now extrapolates the noise to save time? Or perhaps my recollection is wrong...maybe I'll pull out the 7D tomorrow and check, if no one beats me to it.).

On the 60D, long exposure noise reduction can be OFF, AUTO, or ON. When set to AUTO it never seems to happen. When I set it to ON it works as expected....Camera set to manual, ISO400, lens cap on, 15 second exposure..... and the shutter stays open for 15 seconds, followed by 15 seconds wait, then the image appears. Change it to bulb mode, hold the shutter down for 60 seconds, then the camera waits for 60 seconds, and the image appears.

And best of all, both pictures are BLACK!

The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
On the 60D, long exposure noise reduction can be OFF, AUTO, or ON. When set to AUTO it never seems to happen. When I set it to ON it works as expected....Camera set to manual, ISO400, lens cap on, 15 second exposure..... and the shutter stays open for 15 seconds, followed by 15 seconds wait, then the image appears. Change it to bulb mode, hold the shutter down for 60 seconds, then the camera waits for 60 seconds, and the image appears.

And best of all, both pictures are BLACK!

Same on the 7D.  And on the 1D X.  After checking more carefully, long exposure NR on the 1D X is behaving as normal - wne set to Enable, a 30 s exposure is followed by a 30 s dark frame.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

I'll be waiting anxiously.

How are you determining that the dark frame is done?  After the exposure and a few seconds into the dark frame, the read LCD comes back on (showing the quick control menu).  Last night, that's when I stopped the timer - I was holding the camera, and my hand was covering the red light.   :-[  But, the red light is still on and the 'shots remaining' display flashes until the dark frame is done, and the review image is displayed.  To confirm, on both my 7D and my 1D X, with long exposure NR enabled (not Auto), the dark frame is the same duration as the exposure setting.

So...I recommend checking again, timing from the shutter/mirror click until the red light goes out and the review image shows up - that should be the same length of time as the exposure was set.  If not, I'd call Canon.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

ahab1372

• EOS 6D Mark II
How are you determining that the dark frame is done?  After the exposure and a few seconds into the dark frame, the read LCD comes back on (showing the quick control menu).  Last night, that's when I stopped the timer - I was holding the camera, and my hand was covering the red light.   :-[  But, the red light is still on and the 'shots remaining' display flashes until the dark frame is done, and the review image is displayed.  To confirm, on both my 7D and my 1D X, with long exposure NR enabled (not Auto), the dark frame is the same duration as the exposure setting.

So...I recommend checking again, timing from the shutter/mirror click until the red light goes out and the review image shows up - that should be the same length of time as the exposure was set.  If not, I'd call Canon.
Not sure if it applies to 7D/5D/1D, but on the Rebel it helps to turn on Live View. You get a second "clack" at the end of the dark frame, and the display says "BUSY" while it is taking the dark frame

canon rumors FORUM