November 23, 2014, 12:20:55 PM

Poll

What is the most important criteria for buying a new body?

Image Quality
17 (45.9%)
Low Light Sensitivty
12 (32.4%)
Frames Per Second
2 (5.4%)
Sensor Size
6 (16.2%)
Mega Pixels
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: August 03, 2010, 04:31:06 PM

Author Topic: What is the most important criteria for buying a new body?  (Read 8208 times)

bLake

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most important criteria for buying a new body?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
What about general handling of the body? The menu layout? The size and shape of the camera? The features? I guess I see where your coming from but in the end, for me, it has to be the package. No use getting the right sensor size if I won't be able to change the camera settings.

I even forgot about price... and age!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »

Jaszek

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JaszekPhoto.com
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:23:21 PM »
Just like others I was stuck between the first two, but then I realized most of the prosumer bodies have great IQ, so I went for ISO, since I shoot a lot of concerts so it's almost dark in clubs so I need the ISO. Also just like everyone else, I don't care about megapixels. lol

NotABunny

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 01:55:47 AM »
* Photography at ISO 12800 (typical for the light available indoors, or action freezing outside in a cloudy day).
* Setting ranges for shutter speed, F-number and ISO (I do candid, so I can meet dramatic light contrast between shots - current auto ISO is useless).

(By the way, my Canon A620 has good IQ in good light; okay, not tonal or dynamic range)

match14

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »
I voted image quality but handling and ergonmics are important too.

JornLande

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »
I voted sensor size since I have 7D currently and I'm happy with it. The image quality works great for me (shooting girls @ ISO 100 - studio & exterior and concerts @ ISO 1000 - 3200 plus some action time by time).

But with 1Ds Mk IV I'll be even happier having a little bit better image quality, but most imporantly (for me) even better options working with DOF plus a little bit larger dynamic range. Shooting girls of course, for rock whows I'll still keep my 7D and for action photography, like weddings, I can use both bodies simultaneously.

I'm quite nervous about Canon introducing 1Ds Mk IV - got the money for it and cannot buy it. :( This returns me to the communistic era 20 and more years ago.  :D

dustysensor

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »
I'm not sure that making a buying decision on a new body should, at this stage of DSLR development, be based on individual criteria. You have to look at the whole package. Low light shooting is getting very good (compared to 5yrs ago) no matter what you choose. If you are a wedding photographer, its a no brainer. You have to go with full frame. Best, and most used by pro wedding guys, is the 5D or 5D mk II.

If you are an amateur, like me, there are many good choices. If you shoot a lot of sports and "need" 6+ FPS. The choices are limited to 7D, 40D, 50D, or 1Ds. I would stay away from the xxD series. Shutter, and shutter button problems!

As far as a complete package, I dont think you can beat the 7D. 100% viewfinder, 8FPS, great autofocus performance, respectable low light performance, very good build, pro level shutter, whether sealing, HD video, very good picture quality, reasonable price for the level of camera features. I have the 7D - I love it.

The rebel series is also a good way to go if you are looking for a somewhat "disposable" camera after a few years use, with the view to buying a "keeper" sometime in the future.

Waleed Essam

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:35:29 AM »
Hmmm...

I want to select all, but since this is not possible I'll go for low light sensitivity.
Since I already have cameras I'm happy with in regards to the rest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:35:29 AM »

that1guy

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »
I know voting is closed but I figured I'd give my 2 cents just for fun (that's why we're all here anyway right? :))

I really want my next camera to be full frame...that is at the top.  I figure that as long as they don't over crowd the sensor, decent high iso performance will be a given.  Also, I figure image quality is also a given on most modern FF cameras from Canon.  I could be wrong though.

After FF, I really need a decent AF.  I photograph kids a LOT, and I need to keep up.  I probably don't need anything as fast as the 1D, but something around the 50D or 7D would be nice (I currently shoot a 20D).  I would have pulled the trigger on a 5DII a while back if it wasn't for the AF.  If Canon would have even put in the same AF that they had on the 50D, I would have purchased it (like I said, I don't need top of the line, just decent).  Unfortunately I've heard too many bad stories about the 5DII for me to be convinced to spend my $...and so I wait.

I will take all other features into consideration, but these are the ones I'm trying to hold out for.

fragilesi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »
Has to be image quality . . . but that's in no way to be equated to sensor quality, it's many other things too.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
How about that the old camera no longer works properly? I bought my 7D about 2 years ago because the shutter release on my 40D was getting unreliable. However, my 5D3 replaced a 5D because the new camera had vastly better focusing and I could use it at ISO 12800 for 8X10 size images. I guess my vote would be "none of the above" or "all of the above". Take your pick.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »
Cash

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
Cash
Hi,
   +1 Yap... this is the most importance criteria of all.

This is the reason why more people buy FF instead of medium format, this is the reason why more people buy 5D3 instead of 1Dx and this is the reason I want to buy the 7D2 instead of the 5D3.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »