November 20, 2014, 04:25:44 PM

Poll

What is the most important criteria for buying a new body?

Image Quality
17 (45.9%)
Low Light Sensitivty
12 (32.4%)
Frames Per Second
2 (5.4%)
Sensor Size
6 (16.2%)
Mega Pixels
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: August 03, 2010, 04:31:06 PM

Author Topic: What is the most important criteria for buying a new body?  (Read 8189 times)

scott

« on: July 20, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
I figured I would add the first Poll. I am sure we have all seen this poll before, but I was curious to see what the average CR member thought was the most important.

canon rumors FORUM

« on: July 20, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »

noobie

Re: What is the most important criteria for buying a new body?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
This made me think for just a minute and I guess really at the heart of looking for a new camera is the hope that after all the new fancy stuff gets added to a camera that when I push the button my images look better. My first thought was a larger sensor which may offer flexible shooting environments and better performance it's close between those 2.

scott

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I was torn between low light sensitivity and IQ, and find it interesting that it appears that others are as well. Currently the vote is split evenly between the two.

When you consider that the cost difference between the 70-200 is F/4 and F2.8 is almost double. If a new body came out that had IQ comparable to the previous generation, but at a higher ISO, that would be very attractive.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
I'm one of the minority I think. In that I do not care about high ISO performance.

Anyone else with me?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:07:54 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
For me, it really depends upon what type of photography I'm doing.  Right now, I am taking pictures of my children's high school sports activity, so high ISO sensitivity is important for all the indoor gym stuff.  Also, FPS.  But I put image quality as #1, because at the end of the day, if you have poor IQ what's the point.
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

Grendel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Fun w/ MCUs
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »
I'm one of the minority I think. In that I do not care about high ISO performance.

Anyone else with me?
Yep. Won't get much better than it is today IMHO so I value sensor size the highest.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
Whatever happened to $$$?

If budget isn't an issue, my next new camera would be a 1DsIII (or IV, if Canon announces it). ;D

Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »

John

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »
IQ and more importantly dynamic range is the most important thing I look for in a new body. I almost never shoot above 800 ISO so I could care less about high ISO, give me 14 stops of range and I am happy.

slr_noob

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:08:10 AM »
IQ will be the most important. But... the UI (User Interface) is important too.

Justin

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »
To be fair IQ is generally a function of several of the criteria on your list like High ISO and Sensor size. IQ is the final output. Others have said that dynamic range matters a lot, and it does for photos that more closely mimic what we can see with our own eyes. I'd probably vote DR is the most important thing I'm looking for in a camera. But all those things save maybe megapixels (but there's even an argument there for more detail--I love the 21 mpx detail of my 5D2, I wouldn't want to shoot 12 anymore).

Cobalt720

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
IQ and customizable options is what people buy DSLRs for!  I am happy that nobody thinks Megapixels is not important!  Good job guys!

scott

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »
Whatever happened to $$$?

If budget isn't an issue, my next new camera would be a 1DsIII (or IV, if Canon announces it). ;D

I was going to add price, but wanted the importance of the criteria to be based on your individual budget.

gkreis

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »
To be fair IQ is generally a function of several of the criteria on your list like High ISO and Sensor size. IQ is the final output. Others have said that dynamic range matters a lot, and it does for photos that more closely mimic what we can see with our own eyes. I'd probably vote DR is the most important thing I'm looking for in a camera. But all those things save maybe megapixels (but there's even an argument there for more detail--I love the 21 mpx detail of my 5D2, I wouldn't want to shoot 12 anymore).

Right.  How can we pick one thing, especially if they are interrelated. To get at the heart, you need to ask several questions.  Or perhaps one that lets us arrange the characteristics in order of priority. I wouldn't buy a camera if all I knew about it was it could take a picture at 500,000 ISO.  What do you mean by 'a picture'.. ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »

/dev/null

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
My personal list of priorities:

1) Image quality - this includes lens quality and performance at reasonable ISO
2) Handling and ease of use - not too small and not too heavy, with the buttons in the right places
3) Sensor size - I like wide angles and shallow DOF
4) AF performance
5) Everything else - Build quality/ruggedness/weatherproofing, availability of specialty and general purpose lenses, frame rate, price...

My 5D2 fits the bill rather nicely. AF could be better, otherwise I have no serious complaints.

Eric Bowers

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
I have to have full-frame in any future camera bodies - I do so much wide angle work, and already sold a kidney for the 16-35 and the 15mm fisheye. My 5D original version that I'm still working with was my leap to full frame, nothing smaller than that sensor-wise will do. Wanting a 5D II sooner than later.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »