August 28, 2014, 03:41:18 AM

Author Topic: Total File Size - All Your Images and Keep or Delete  (Read 20070 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Total File Size - All Your Images and Keep or Delete
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
36GB seems like nothing to me, I use a 64gb compact flash card for one days shooting, and have a 12 TB NAS.  With the low cost of storage, there is no need to throw out images that you might want in a few years.  I bought a 3TB drive this xmas to use for a 2nd drive on my new PC.

camlars

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »
Storage cost doesn't factor into the decision at all for me, storage is cheap.

I rarely delete photos in camera since it is slower than deleting them on the computer, and sometimes you can't really tell if it is a keeper until you see it on a bigger screen.

I try to delete at least some of the weaker images as I go through them the first time since I think it saves time. Cmd-Delete instead of next doesn't really take that much longer.

I too would prefer having 10,000 images some years down the road rather than 100,000.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
Memory is cheap. You said it yourself. To me, it's not worth deleting a single frame. If I take a shot that's not worth keeping, it gets deleted in camera before I transfer the files to computer.
Just curious....I'd been told that for longer life of your memory cards, that it was best to NOT do maniuplations, deletions from the camera to individiual files on the cards while in camera.

That is was best to unload all your images from a session(s) with your card reader to your comuter, and once done, you reformat the cards in the CAMERA to totally erase them to be ready for next shoots.

Thoughts on this? Myth or Fact?

TIA,

cayenne

camlars

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
i guess you do no keywording?
otherwise it would make no difference to delete the junk when you do keywording.

Exactly! I would  say even without doing any keywording that as long as you actually look at the photos after transferring them to your computer it doesn't take any extra time to hit delete instead of next.

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
~400GB here, that doesn't include TIFFs and whatnot from star trails, that's just the RAWs/jpgs.

I keep 'em in a folder on an iMac, have timemachine running with an external drive, with a 2nd drive in a firesafe that I swap around once in a while.

I use Crashplan for cloud backups.  Took about two months to do the initial sync but syncs quickly overnight now that I'm in sync.
gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 01:37:49 PM »
Memory is cheap. You said it yourself. To me, it's not worth deleting a single frame. If I take a shot that's not worth keeping, it gets deleted in camera before I transfer the files to computer.
Just curious....I'd been told that for longer life of your memory cards, that it was best to NOT do maniuplations, deletions from the camera to individiual files on the cards while in camera.

That is was best to unload all your images from a session(s) with your card reader to your comuter, and once done, you reformat the cards in the CAMERA to totally erase them to be ready for next shoots.

TIA,

cayenne

It's probably a bit of both.  Generally if you work something more it won't last as long as otherwise, but with that it's probably a big none issue.  Something else will screw up a card first.  I've only had one card fail the last 10 years. 

Of course now I notice the card reader comment.  I have always done mine via usb cable/camera to the computer.  I think taking the card out, putting it in a card reader then back out and back to the camera will do more harm than deleting images on the card ever will.  I've always been paranoid about that weakening a card that I just always have a big enough card each time and never take it out of the camera and use the usb route(till the usb port failed on my T2i anyway lol).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:41:06 PM by extremeinstability »

vab3

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
I'm a hobbyist who lost a portable hard drive a few years ago, so now I prefer at least two physical backups of RAW files, and one JPG on-line. (Luckily, I still had all my jpgs on-line). 

However, the whole process taught my how much I care about my tens of thousands of pictures that didn't make the cut.  Not much. You have to trust yourself.  If you determine that ten images sum up the weekend at the lake, then so be it.

First of all, as soon as I upload, I delete anything that is out of focus, duplicate, or uninteresting.

I keep a year of RAW photos on my laptop, and periodically copy them all to a portable drive.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy - great tool).  I upload JPGs and share them with my relatives.  The result is I generally have 3 copies -- 2 RAW and one JPG offsite. 

At the end of the year I make copies of all my favorite RAW files from the year, and back those up both to the portable drive and offsite.  I also upload new copies of the favorites online as JPGS.  Friends and family enjoy the 'year in review' album. 

From then on I only worry about the favorites.  The bulk RAW for the year are removed from the laptop, and the ones on the portable drive are relegated to folders that can be deleted after a few years.  Occasionally, I purchase a new (bigger) external hard drive, copy everything, and archive the old one until I feel like purging.   

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Glad to see some others that are pretty big on purging and deleting.  I realized a bit ago probably the biggest reason I'm so bad at it.  I'm so anal on putting the best of the images forward whenever I do anything. I think, I have to whittle down so it's easier to find/sort/know the best(in my mind) for this or that use.  The other thing that I think drives what amounts to being the opposite of a hoarder is, I really really really hate doing headlines, captions, and keywords for stock sites.  Having far far less to screw with makes that a lot easier.  Yeah many are similar, but at least as far as keywords are concerned, it's often not as easy as simply highlighting all in a basic group and "appending metadata" for the keywords.  If I delete the piss out of things before I get to that point, it's all the easier to accomplish that and move on.  Those are the biggest reasons I delete away.  The third would probably be, it sorta feels healthy to just let go of some of it lol.  I always think about later on down the road in life, I don't need an ocean of images, a lake or pond will do.  Maybe that would have been a better way to look at this/do this post.  When you are at the end of your photography year's rope, how many photos will be enough.  I'm shooting for a best of collection I guess.  If I "only" have 5,000 of those after another 30 years that should be more than enough. 

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
up until recently i have kept everything. i am currently running 5 TBs worth of drives and though storage is cheap its become a hassle that i just dont want to deal with anymore.

the biggest culprit for me is weddings. i did about 100+ weddings as a second shooter and kept everything so that i could look through later for portfolio reasons (i didnt have to do any editing at the time, just shoot and drop off the raws to the 1st shooter). well, i never got around to going through all those weddings so now my "pile" is enormous. i'm ready to unload the bulk of those stored shots its just a matter of finding a few weeks to sort through it all.

i expect its going to get much worse as i take on more and more weddings myself. at least with my own weddings i edit it down to 1000 shots per.

the real dilemma is that digital files just don't last that long. will my digital files be around in 20 years? i have already had files shot in the early 2000's become corrupted and hence are unusable. i need to identify my all time best shots (the ones that will stand the test of time) and figure out a hard copy archival solution to store them.

anyone store prints of their best shots for archiving purposes or even better yet get their digital files on 4x5 chrome? an expensive proposition but is there a better way to ensure that my best images will still be around after i pass?
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
That's a good point on corrupted images.  I've always sorta wondered what the best route is to keep backups with that possibility in mind.  I've feared something gets corrupted and then when I back up, I write over in all the back up locations using a corrupted file.  Suppose the key would be when backing up, doing it once in each location and not writing over the first ones.  Not so simple to have several places when we are talking 5TB obviously!  But even for my whittled down 36 gigs I'm wondering the best safest route to prevent that corrupted issue.  I guess if you browse through them all in like Bridge as you are deleting down you could see if anything had gotten corrupted on the main harddrive.  Course that might have to include purging bridge cache and letting it make new previews.  Just this being brought up again now makes me want to only add to the back up drives each year and not re-write over the older years.  Because it would be pretty damn annoying to get a corrupted file on the main pc, then screw up all the backup locations by simply re-writing with a bad file. 

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:12 AM »

TIA,

cayenne

It's probably a bit of both.  Generally if you work something more it won't last as long as otherwise, but with that it's probably a big none issue.  Something else will screw up a card first.  I've only had one card fail the last 10 years. 

Of course now I notice the card reader comment.  I have always done mine via usb cable/camera to the computer.  I think taking the card out, putting it in a card reader then back out and back to the camera will do more harm than deleting images on the card ever will.  I've always been paranoid about that weakening a card that I just always have a big enough card each time and never take it out of the camera and use the usb route(till the usb port failed on my T2i anyway lol).

I've had four cards that either failed completely or corrupted some of the images on the card. (All were Kingston - I use Lexar and Sandisk only now) Each time it happened was in an external card reader while trying to transfer files to the computer. Each time it was a different card reader and different computer. What good is high speed transfer if your pictures are all corrupted? I use USB from the camera now exclusively. (Sure wish the 5D3 had USB 3.0 - that was just dumb oversight on Canon's part) I delete photos immediately if they don't turn out just right, and I've never had a card fail in the camera while doing it. I don't know if it's the best thing to do for the card's sake, but from my experience, I'll take deleting on camera/USB transfer over a card reader any day.

One other word of advice - Never plug your camera or card into a device that is not properly grounded. That can corrupt your card and fry your camera. It's not a big problem in the US, but when shooting overseas there are lots of places that don't have grounded power outlets.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:23:43 AM »
My two cents:

1. Do not do anything else on your cards (neither edit, neither nothing...) just download them on the PCs. The NAND cells have a finite lifetime (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Memory_wear) and controllers from camera or USB readers are way to simple to provide advanced techniques like wear leveling, GC etc.

2. There ain't such thing like 5TB disk. WD will have them but in late 2013 (AFAIK - see http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/12/05/wd_5tb_hard_drives_coming_next_year). The products like the one to be found  at http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301355U-5big-Network-Drive/dp/B001IB10CW are in fact a NAS with a RAID card in it using 5 (five) disks in RAID 0 or other config (RAID 0 not recommendable at all for data safety imho).

HTH

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »
36.5 gigs 2002 through 2012... at the moment...though I feel like whittling down even more.  Actually quite a lot of TIFF files(star trails/etc) in that making it larger than it really is imagewise.

That's a tiny amount of storage for photos. I've done over 20GB in one trip, easy. Right now, I've got about 300GB of .CR2's in "Recycle Bin" and there's still more cleaning out to do. Current raw storage is at about the 1TB mark. For backups, it is more.

I tend to keep a backup of everything - I make the backups before I start cutting down on things. This means I've got about 1.5TB of images backed up on a single 3TB drive.

So I keep everything backed up but my "working set" is much smaller. When someone in the family wants a picture of baby John, I want to minimise the time it takes to find a good one, etc.

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »

When I shoot my hobby sport, I usually get 60-70GB on ~7h shooting. I carry 80GB cards with me to those. 2011 a big competition I shot 180GB in 3 days. Typically <25% keepers, <5% make the editing board, 3-4% make the final cut. Don't know for pros, but I assume that's quite normal.

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
I carry 80GB cards with me to those.

80GB memory cards? Never seen that. CF? SD?
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu