November 24, 2014, 07:30:18 AM

Author Topic: Glacier National Park - New lens?  (Read 6586 times)

Diverman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Glacier National Park - New lens?
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
Hello all,

I will be going to Glacier National Park In late July.  I am planning on taking quite a few pictures, as I love traveling to the National Parks.

I have a t4i, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 18-135 IS, and the 25mm macro extension tubes.

I have two main questions concerning this trip.

First, should I look into purchasing (or perhaps renting) a specific wide angle?  I hope I can upgrade to FF sometime, but this likely won't be until about 5 years down the road.  The two options I was considering here are the 16-35 II and the 10-22.  I understand the crop vs FF and everything, but is there a big quality difference?  I also like to try some astrophotography, but either lens would be better than what I currently have as far as that is concerned (and besides, with the 600 rule and my crop body the not as fast lens should allow me to have brighter pictures, all things considered).  Are there any sweeping landscapes at Glacier that beg for an ultra-wide angle shot?  I'm not the best at panos, so I'd rather not count on that.

Secondly, should I add an extender for wildlife?  If so, would the 1.4x III be enough?  I have read many reviews that the 1.4x III is a better extender than the 2x III, but am definitely not opposed to the 2x III at all.  If there is no need for an extender, I would rather save the money, but I definitely don't want to miss that moose/bear/bald eagle shot because I don't have one (or don't have the right one). 

Lastly, are there any locations that are a must?  And is there any other specific gear that I "must" bring to have a successful trip?

Unfortunately, time is kind of a rush as the spectacular lens rebates are ending soon.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 

canon rumors FORUM

Glacier National Park - New lens?
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »

rlaverty

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Glacier National Park - New lens?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:08 AM »
The 10-22 would serve you well in Glacier, the beauty of that place starts at your toes and goes on forever ;)

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »
Glacier, in my opinion, is the most beautiful and breathtaking place on earth... and I've traveled all over the world. First of all, there is nothing that will capture the grandeur of the landscape like being there, so don't forget to put your camera down every once in a while and just enjoy being there through the lenses of your own eyes. That being said, you'll want something wide to capture the expanse of the mountains. 18mm on a crop just doesn't cut it sometimes. The 10-22 would be a good choice and I'd recommend it over the 16-35 because you'll want to get as wide a shot as possible in some places. The last time my wife and I went to Glacier, the roads were closed to traffic because of snow (it was June). So instead, we went on a 40 mile hike on foot. That was the best thing that could have happened. You'll want to see the view at the top of Going to the Sun Road, and sights like Avalanche Gorge, but the real beauty will be the sights you find hidden around each corner and off the beaten path. I've never used extenders as I have the 70-300, but extra reach will come in handy when shooting wildlife, especially the big horn sheep that you'll see up on the mountain cliffs. Have fun! I'm jealous.   
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

Diverman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies already!  I guess I'll look at the 10-22 more seriously now.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:38:24 AM »
I think you definitely need something wide.  Don't let the FF monkey on your back keep you from buying the lens you need. 10-20 is a great lens, and some of the 3rd party lenses are great as well. 

If your going to rent, and the $$ don't scare you too much, rent a 16-35mm and a 6D, or 5D II / III.  Then you'd have 2 bodies, the ability to go really wide and some FF pics when you get home.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
I loved my 10-22mm, its everything I'd ask from an UWA lens.

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
Montana may be my favorite place to visit.  Been several times now as a old college buddy is border patrol out of whitefish.  Be sure to drive out to polebridge for pizza, seriously its worth it. Plus the drive is spectacular and once you get there you realize having beer and pizza in the middle of nowhere is pretty special. As others have suggested the 10-22 is a no brainer on crop. Rent that plus one of the extenders and you should be set.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

Standard

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
I'd highly recommend the Samyang 14mm, which currently cost only $379 at B&H (It's even cheaper if you buy the Rokinon, Bower, or Pro-Optic brand instead). It's a manual lens but is fairly easy to use with Live View. There's distortion but is easily fixed in post (All ultra-wide angles will have distortion). There's been a few threads on the forum that would give you better idea and examples. I'd also recommend bringing a sturdy tripod if you're doing lots of landscape.

erda

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:11 AM »
In my travels this past summer (Glacier, Yellowstone, Colorado), the lens most used was a Tokina 11-16. I'd highly recommend an ultra-wide angle to complement your existing 'quiver'.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:53:38 AM by erda »
Canon 30D, 17-40L, 70-200L f4, 100L f2.8 IS, 430EX; Tokina 11-16
Canon G1 X
Olympus TG-1

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »
+1 on the 10-22mm - an excellent UWA for APS-C.  You might also consider the Sigma 8-16mm.

As for the extender, I highly recommend the 1.4x III.  It works well with the 70-200 f/2.8 II with wildlife and will be effectively 420mm at f/4 with fast AF.  I cannot comment on the 2x because I don't have one.

280mm f/4, you mean.  We may all wish the 70-200/2.8 was a 300/2.8, but it's not.   :P

The 2xIII does very well with the 70-200 II (performs just about as well as the 100-400mm), and I'd recommend that for wildlife you may encounter, 140-400mm is a useful range for those subjects.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

SteveCSmith

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
If you want wildlife, you'll want more reach for sure.  I had a 300mm when I visited GNP and found it lacking.

I was still a Rebel with an 18-55 at the time and don't remember wanting wider, but was in the early years of my photography interest.  I was blown away when I got the Sigma 17-70 OS F2.8-4 - not familiar with the 18-135 to comment on sharpness/color/contrast.  I loved the 10-22 for the 6 months I owned it (till I bought a 5d3 and switched to a 17-40).

Most important piece of equipment I wish I had back then - a polarizing filter.  Its a must there to green up the greens on cloudy days and take out the water reflections.

Favorite visit place - east side (west side is too commercialized).  Many Glacier was the best area and favorite campground.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »
First of all, there is nothing that will capture the grandeur of the landscape like being there, so don't forget to put your camera down every once in a while and just enjoy being there through the lenses of your own eyes.

Outstanding advice -- for any traveler/tourist. We photographers are sometimes so busy seeing things through a lens that we forget the direct line from our eyes to our brains!!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
I have a 10-20 and use it a fair bit, but I also like to use image stitching. I find that there is quite a bit of distortion with any UWA lens... sometimes it makes a neat effect, sometimes not... With image stitching I can push past the boundaries of a single shot and get 180 degree or wider pictures that still look reasonable. You can go crazy and create gigapixel images out of hundreds of images, or you can just put two together side by side

The software I have been using is Autopano Giga, http://www.kolor.com/image-stitching-software-autopano-giga.html, and the demo version is just like the real version, only it watermarks the images. There are lots of others out there as well. After all, we are using digital cameras, so don't let yourself be bound by trying to use it like a film camera.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »

DigitalDivide

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »
As for the extender, I highly recommend the 1.4x III.  It works well with the 70-200 f/2.8 II with wildlife and will be effectively 420mm at f/4 with fast AF.  I cannot comment on the 2x because I don't have one.

280mm f/4, you mean.  We may all wish the 70-200/2.8 was a 300/2.8, but it's not.   :P

Perhaps he was thinking of the equivalent FF focal length on the OP's T4i?  Though that would come out to be 448mm (200 x 1.4 x 1.6).  A pretty decent reach for the investment anyway.

Diverman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
Thank you all very much!  Right now I think I'm going to purchase the 10-22 and possibly rent an extender. Again, thank you for all the input so far - it is greatly appreciated!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »