August 22, 2014, 07:37:21 PM

Author Topic: Filters - Screw on or not ?  (Read 7789 times)

JimKarczewski

Re: Filters - Screw on or not ?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:35 PM »
I wouldn't say kicked to the curb, but I whole heartedly disagree with you.   There are things (especially light skys and dark foregrounds) I'd never trust to my raw processing engine.   I've tried in the past, which is why I bought my GND filters.   But hey, to each their own... Everyone has their methods...

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 04:17:32 AM »
Jim,

I have to agree with you. Manipulation in post processing has its place, but I much prefer to get as close to my pre-conceived image as possible in-camera. I find getting realistic skies very difficult to achieve after the event, I believe because our brains are rejecting clues we have not even really noticed.   

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »
Tried a bit of handheld grad filter yesterday, worked out easier now I've got a screw in polariser, but given my big clumsy hands, I'm finding that handholding a Cokin P in front of a 15-85mm at a wide zoom is a tad difficult, especially with the thin edges of the Cokins.  Cheers for the earlier comments !
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

JimKarczewski

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »
Hayden-

I even have issues with my Cokin Z on a 16-35 Canon (full frame) my big a$$ fingers manage to make their way into the frame on the very edge... Unfortunately I haven't solved that issue yet (when hand holding at least!)

Canon 14-24

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 04:11:39 AM »
Hayden-

I even have issues with my Cokin Z on a 16-35 Canon (full frame) my big a$$ fingers manage to make their way into the frame on the very edge... Unfortunately I haven't solved that issue yet (when hand holding at least!)

Cokin Z is rated to about 20mm I believe on FF or mostly good for those lenses 24mm+

Need to jump to the bigger and more expensive Cokin X series for ultra wide angle or 15mm+

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
Personal preference, but I have the B+W UV to protect, then Lee filters for the other - I leave the adapters on the lenses all the time and use Lee lens covers to protect from dust etc. Not sure if this is possible on other systems (e.g. screw), but you can independently rotate 2 filters on one of the Lee holders, so you can adjust perhaps for a bright sky, and perhaps tame a bright element in the foreground which needs a different angle.

90% of my filter needs is done by Grads (the rest is Circ or ND). I've done hand holding, but for long shots in the cold it's a little more awkward so I prefer to remove the gloves, add the filter/holder and then I can normally tweak with the gloves still on.

For the 10 stop ND, I could not work with the B+W ones as I'm always fine tuning composition (angle & zoom), so screwing on a filter at the end did not work for me.

Horses for courses, but prefer filter holders / drop in filters. The Lee glass filters are supposed to have less colour cast, but tbh, not really noticed a strong one on their resin ones.
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)