July 25, 2014, 04:49:52 PM

Author Topic: Why would a beginner not buy an EOS 650?  (Read 1190 times)

Trevor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Smeaton | Photographer | Portfolio
Why would a beginner not buy an EOS 650?
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
A friend has asked me to recommend a camera (that does everything!), so I've been looking at the specs of the 'entry level' Canon DSLRs.

In the UK, the 650 comes bundled with an 18-55 II for 498 GBP ...  I'm not sure there's anything else that represents the same value for money in the smaller chip size?

I'm also going to suggest they handle a few DSLRs and compare them with mirrorless models to see what they think of the handling. Any recommendations ?

canon rumors FORUM

Why would a beginner not buy an EOS 650?
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
Re: Why would a beginner not buy an EOS 650?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
I think you're pretty much on the right track.  for a first-time photographer who wants to do a little bit of everything but has no specialization, the 650D is very good value for the money.  I also think that trying one out against the competition makes good sense, every one has a different affinity for different ergonomics.  a friend's Sony NEX feels horrid in my hands but it's the perfect fit for her.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
The most important thing is support.  buying from a dealer with real photographers who can help you, having a friend who has deep experience with a similar camera, etc.
Many upgraders from point and shoot go out and buy a DSLR and are totally frustrated.  They are not able to get that deep depth of field they are used to, the camera seems too heavy and bulky, they just put it in a closet and it stays there.
They first need to know what to expect, and have a reason for getting one rather than just thinking they will get better images.  That is not true, its the photographer that makes the images work, and if they get poor images now, that won't change.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
The most important thing is support.  buying from a dealer with real photographers who can help you, having a friend who has deep experience with a similar camera, etc.
Many upgraders from point and shoot go out and buy a DSLR and are totally frustrated.  They are not able to get that deep depth of field they are used to, the camera seems too heavy and bulky, they just put it in a closet and it stays there.
They first need to know what to expect, and have a reason for getting one rather than just thinking they will get better images.  That is not true, its the photographer that makes the images work, and if they get poor images now, that won't change.

I agree... For someone using a DSLR the first time a knowledgeable friend to talk to beats the best gear..... Take a look at camera clubs in the area, they can be a great way to learn in a social setting and many have classes. And go out and play with whatever camera you get.... that's one of the ways we learn.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »