July 30, 2014, 09:59:51 AM

Author Topic: Exposure and focusing help with tilt/shift lenses  (Read 3125 times)

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
Exposure and focusing help with tilt/shift lenses
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
I just purchased a TS-E 24 II.  I know exposure is usually best set before applying any T/S adjustments.  However, there seems to be a lot of difference in the actual exposures, even when using this method.  I set exposure using only the Manual mode (all manual, no auto ISO!), which works pretty well.  Does anyone have a method they use to speed-up the exposure accuracy process?

Also, I have found that focusing in manual exposure mode, can be difficult in Live-View using the exposure simulation mode (too dark).  So I do not use it (exp sim) except in bright sunlight.  For tripod-mounted shots I have found some workarounds.  However, I plan on doing a lot of handheld work with this lens too where I will be focusing strictly through the viewfinder. Any suggestions or methods out there that have worked well for you? 

Thanks in advance!
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

Exposure and focusing help with tilt/shift lenses
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »

heptagon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Exposure and focusing help with tilt/shift lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »
I use Av mode for focusing and flip over when done.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
FWIW, while TS movements affect metering through the viewfinder, Live View metering is unaffected, so autoexposure works normally in Live View.  That's my preferred mode of shooting with a TS-E lens - live view on a tripod, 10x manual focusing.  The few times I've shot the TS-E 24L II handheld, I've also used Live View.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »
For focusing, I try to use natural/constant lighting when possible so that I can shoot fast and bracket my focus.  I hand hold and get focus where I think it should be and then back it off a bit and start shooting while slowing moving the focus the other direction.  This gives me about a dozen shots with several of them being just where I want them.  Obviously this won't work for all subject matters but it works for me.

I chimp the shot and review the histogram to get exposure correct.  That is the fastest way for me.  I use the 90 TS-E with a 1DX or 1D4.

-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
FWIW, while TS movements affect metering through the viewfinder, Live View metering is unaffected, so autoexposure works normally in Live View.  That's my preferred mode of shooting with a TS-E lens - live view on a tripod, 10x manual focusing.  The few times I've shot the TS-E 24L II handheld, I've also used Live View.

+1.  When doing stitching, I get the LV settings first, then dial them manually.

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
When shooting very close up, I use the "move your body" method of focusing.  For these lips shots I used the 90  TS-E with an extension tube (25mm I think) for a macro look.  I acquired focus manually and then moved my camera closer and further from the subject by leaning and would shoot when I had it just right.  This allowed me to compensate for the model moving slightly.  Using a tripod would have made me force the model to not move which is near impossible for these types of shots.

-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
@studio1930

nice shots. that is a talented makeup artist! looks like a really fun shoot
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
My thanks to all of you for your assistance and shared experience with these unique lenses.  I look forward to giving your suggestions/techniques a try.

Happy Shooting!
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »
While contemplating throwing an assist at a friend by photographing his business for marketing purposes, I thought I would see what info CR had to offer with regard to TS-E lenses.  Wow!  You guys are having way more fun with them than I was hoping for shooting a boring oil change place!

So my question:  Am I correct in assuming that if I were to rent a TS-E lens to shoot a basic building type shot, is the popular Canon 24 TS lens the one to go for?  Any other tips?  I know the basics but otherwise I've never shot with one and thought this would be a nice little learning adventure.  I figured I would test it out, shoot his business, shoot some friends, shoot the dog's butt, you know all the must have shots.  Thanks.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
So my question:  Am I correct in assuming that if I were to rent a TS-E lens to shoot a basic building type shot, is the popular Canon 24 TS lens the one to go for?

Depends on if 24mm is wide enough. In urban settings, sometimes you cannot back up far enough...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »
So my question:  Am I correct in assuming that if I were to rent a TS-E lens to shoot a basic building type shot, is the popular Canon 24 TS lens the one to go for?

Depends on if 24mm is wide enough. In urban settings, sometimes you cannot back up far enough...

Could always use the 17 with/without the 1.4x.

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:41 PM »
While contemplating throwing an assist at a friend by photographing his business for marketing purposes, I thought I would see what info CR had to offer with regard to TS-E lenses.  Wow!  You guys are having way more fun with them than I was hoping for shooting a boring oil change place!

So my question:  Am I correct in assuming that if I were to rent a TS-E lens to shoot a basic building type shot, is the popular Canon 24 TS lens the one to go for?  Any other tips?  I know the basics but otherwise I've never shot with one and thought this would be a nice little learning adventure.  I figured I would test it out, shoot his business, shoot some friends, shoot the dog's butt, you know all the must have shots.  Thanks.

Shoot the dog's butt....too funny but sounds like a challenge and maybe someone should start a posting some results..!
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »

But at least I can hopefully get the dog to move forward a few steps!   ;D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »