September 22, 2014, 02:40:06 AM

Author Topic: EF 24-70 f/4L IS in Stock at B&H Photo  (Read 12850 times)

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: EF 24-70 f/4L IS in Stock at B&H Photo
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »
I'll pick it up in a few years when it is the kit lens for the 5D5 or the 6d3 or something, and it only adds $600.00 to the cost vx. body-only price.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »
...IF u don't like Canon strategy or product's there is an alternative solutions & it is good as Canon just no need to stick with it & complain how bad they are.
I can complain all I want... and I will give my opinion, and my opinion of your opinion.  And I will stick with Canon and the products that make sense and are relatively well priced.  This is not it, and I will, as I see fit, complain about it wherever I want!

If you don't want to read my complaints, don't read them, but don't tell me not to complain.
Rafa.

Yes Rafa. Go for it.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:23 AM »
those who say canon L glass holds value better... I dont think that is true for new lenses.

when 24-70 II was launched, it was going for around 19K HKD (here in hong kong)
Now, it is around 16K HKD
Difference is around 390 USD

Difference between launched price and current price of tamron 24-70 is less than 1000 HKD (one third)

Someone who bought new tamron and is not happy and want to switch to canon version now or few months down the road... is better off compared to those who bought new canon after launch.

I wonder how much this one will drop in price and how soon...

True, I already see 24-70 2.8 II used sitting for sale at $1900 which is $500 off the intro price of just two months ago and not selling at even that. Early adopters can expect substantial losses in value with the new products in just a few months. It's not like it used to be.

azizjhn

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 03:56:13 AM »
...IF u don't like Canon strategy or product's there is an alternative solutions & it is good as Canon just no need to stick with it & complain how bad they are.
I can complain all I want... and I will give my opinion, and my opinion of your opinion.  And I will stick with Canon and the products that make sense and are relatively well priced.  This is not it, and I will, as I see fit, complain about it wherever I want!

If you don't want to read my complaints, don't read them, but don't tell me not to complain.
Rafa.

Apparently you are a complainer & you like the useless debates, Complain whatever you want about Canon, me, my comments with yourself but please stop filling the forums with you moaning posts. 

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:22 AM »
Wait a month: $1100.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 06:20:22 AM »
I assume this will eventually be a kit lens option for the 6d - we'll see how the price shakes out after that. Current price of $1500? Really? Thats crazy.
Just because you cannot afford it or not willing to buy it at that price now does not mean it is "crazy" ... many of us bought 5DMK III at $3499 ... now the price has dropped, but we bought the camera when we wanted/needed it, so those who bought it at that price are not crazy ... 24-70 f/4 IS too will have many takers who need such a lens now ... generally people who wait for several months or years for the price to drop are the ones who do not really need that product. 
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

minim2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:15 AM »
Just because you cannot afford it or not willing to buy it at that price now does not mean it is "crazy" ... many of us bought 5DMK III at $3499 ... now the price has dropped, but we bought the camera when we wanted/needed it, so those who bought it at that price are not crazy ... 24-70 f/4 IS too will have many takers who need such a lens now ... generally people who wait for several months or years for the price to drop are the ones who do not really need that product.

I think he is just trying to express himself so no point criticizing him and I feel camera body price drops are not comparable to lens price drop...

I, myself, have bought many products just after release but I think that generally people who wait for whatever reasons (except some constraints due to which they cannot buy)
1. may have more patience than me
2. they are better placed than me to buy product with wide reviews/real-life-feedback
3. they may even get other options to select from
4. price drop is always welcome

btw, there are many who have a product but don't really need it.

6D, 24-70 II, 85 1.8, 135L, EOS-M, EFM 11-22, EFM 22

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:15 AM »

neech7

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »

Rafa.

Apparently you are a complainer & you like the useless debates, Complain whatever you want about Canon, me, my comments with yourself but please stop filling the forums with you moaning posts.

I think his point is that he has every right to post on this forum as you do. But you seem to want to dictate that only posts favourable to Canon and its products and pricing strategy are sanctioned here.

It always amazes me when people would do and say things that are against their best interest. Now, don't we all want high quality, innovative Canon products at the lowest possible prices? Unless you are a Canon employee or shareholder, we should all be on the same side. But think about what you're doing, Canon introduces a lens twice as expensive (current street price) as a similar lens, with less focal length and as yet undetermined quality. When enough people rush in to pay what Canon demands, the bean counters are going to say to themselves: "Hey, we price this thing $400 more than we should, but people buy them anyway. Guess we should price all future lenses really, really high!" On the other hand, if all Canon hears is, as you call it, moans and complains, maybe, just maybe, they will be more realistic next time they try to price their products into the stratosphere.

roguewave

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »

Rafa.

So, if someone does not share your unconditional love for Canon products and provides some valid critique, it makes him a complainer?

Having seen Rafa's contributions in other forums, I can testify that he def is not one. He has just as much right to be skeptical about the lens as you may be excited about it. I personally tend to agree with Rafa on his points. Telling him to "stop filling the forums with you moaning posts" is rude, to say the least. I mean, you wouldn't want to be told to "stop your extolling drivel", would you?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: EF 24-70 f/4L IS Available January 7, 2013
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
first reviews... sharpness worse then 24-105mm f4.

http://i.imgur.com/FD4P3.jpg

That's some crazy schnitt!

Anyway, I'd wait for more reviews!

From a reliable source - Roger Cicala (lensrentals.com) tests 22 copies, concludes for sharpness the 24-70/4L IS is second to the 24-70/2.8L II of 5 lenses covering that range, and better than the 24-105L, entirely consistent with the MTF charts of the lenses.

He also concludes that the Tamron 24-70 VC makes a lot of sense...

As for the German review site's conclusion, well, their data seem like a steaming pile of...schnitt.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RafaPolit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
...Canon introduces a lens twice as expensive (current street price) as a similar lens, with less focal length and as yet undetermined quality. When enough people rush in to pay what Canon demands, the bean counters are going to say to themselves: "Hey, we price this thing $400 more than we should, but people buy them anyway. Guess we should price all future lenses really, really high!" On the other hand, if all Canon hears is, as you call it, moans and complains, maybe, just maybe, they will be more realistic next time they try to price their products into the stratosphere.
Yes! +1 ... the market suffers a lot from the unconditional early adopters that will pay whichever price.  Mind it, I don't consider early adopters that (as correctly depicted by Rienzphotoz) either want or actually NEED the product (I'm sure it was the case for many with the 5DmIII!) 'crazy', at all!.  Every one has their reasons behind their purchases... many would be working photographers that can pay off the higher price tag with a few jobs, others may be really wealthy and price is not an issue at all.  But I believe its a fact that introductory prices are over-inflated because of those type of buyers which affects the overall price of the product (and, in some degree, allows for lesser innovation or poorer design as a product will still make a profit and sell like hotcake, be it the next wonder or not).

Thanks friends for all the support!  Thanks specially @roguewave ... and, by the way: who are you? :) (I couldn't find a PM system here to ask privately!)

Best regards,
Rafa.
ps.  It appears the resolution quality of the lens is a bit bellow the f2.8 mII and a good 10% above the 24-105, lets see how it fares in real life pictures, but these early tests do show an improvement.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
Thanks for the link. They are only looking at the resolution in center of the lens (my subjects usually aren't right there, are yours?).

no they donĀ“t.
they use an average (thought i think weighted for center resolution).

Either way, a single-number representation isn't optimal, especially if the method is not disclosed (although it may well be described on the site).

Regardless, Rogers's data tend to be thorough and reliable.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Canon-F1

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Either way, a single-number representation isn't optimal, especially if the method is not disclosed (although it may well be described on the site).

i see not only a single number for their tests.

i see three numbers for a tested focal lenght : border, center, extended center.
and an averaged lines/mm number.

http://i46.tinypic.com/122p6x3.jpg

to be honest 90% of all reviewers like to give a single number as fast performance "overview".
no matter if that makes sense or not.. DXO anyone?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:12:22 PM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »