November 27, 2014, 06:42:48 PM

Author Topic: EF 24-70 f/4L IS in Stock at B&H Photo  (Read 13906 times)

pharp

Re: EF 24-70 f/4L IS in Stock at B&H Photo
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
I assume this will eventually be a kit lens option for the 6d - we'll see how the price shakes out after that. Current price of $1500? Really? Thats crazy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »

neech7

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EF 24-70 f/4L IS Available January 7, 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
They are only looking at the resolution in center of the lens (my subjects usually aren't right there, are yours?).

When I shoot portraits, yeah, my subjects are usually in the center. Even when I shoot other things, I want the center to be good as well.

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »
I expect this will be an excellent single lens solution for travel & walkabout...@$1000...

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
and calling that one measurement a 'review' is an understatement , IMO.

You didn't mean that :P
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
I'd like it if it was 599$, the market is too saturated with 24-105L's to get the 1500$ price tag.

azizjhn

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
I'am so excited about this lens specially for it is Macro capabilities, Small size regarding the IQ i'am sure it will be better than the 24-105 F4L i don't believe the theory of a new product worse than the old one also i don't care about web sites reviews.
The price is high but for me still cheaper than getting 2 lenses, any way if any body don't like don't buy it there is no need for complaining or whining.  ::)

neech7

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
I'am so excited about this lens specially for it is Macro capabilities,

You may be better off getting the 100L if macro is your thing. I wouldn't get this lens for serious macro work.

Small size regarding the IQ i'am sure it will be better than the 24-105 F4L i don't believe the theory of a new product worse than the old one also i don't care about web sites reviews.

History is littered with examples of companies coming out with products worse than earlier offerings. Not all web site reviews are worth reading, but I wouldn't discount all of them either.

The price is high but for me still cheaper than getting 2 lenses, any way if any body don't like don't buy it there is no need for complaining or whining.  ::)

Well, thanks for your unquestioning support for Canon. Hopefully it means Canon has to ding the rest of us less to please its shareholders.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:21:20 PM by neech7 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

azizjhn

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
I'am so excited about this lens specially for it is Macro capabilities,

You may be better off getting the 100L if macro is your thing. I wouldn't get this lens for serious macro work.

Small size regarding the IQ i'am sure it will be better than the 24-105 F4L i don't believe the theory of a new product worse than the old one also i don't care about web sites reviews.

History is littered with examples of companies coming out with products worse than earlier offerings. Not all web site reviews are worth reading, but I wouldn't discount all of them either.

Well, thanks for your unquestioning support for Canon. Hopefully it means Canon has to ding the rest of us less to please its shareholders.

- I don't have a serious macro work so i am not interested to get a dedicated macros lens.
- I didn't see a product comes out with less specification or less capabilities maybe worse build quality or something like vista has less stability than Windows XP but still newer OS with more features.
- at the End this my opinion & that is yours why should i complain if i don't like it i will regret my purchase then i will  sell it simple as that.
"unquestioning support for Canon" why because i am interested for the lens?

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
It actually isn't that much more expensive than the 24-105 MSRP of $1,149.00 USD

Comparing MSRP to MSRP, the new lens is 30% more expensive than the 24-105.

Comparing current street prices, it is 100% more expensive ($1500 compared to $750).

My point was this lens is new, and it's "life cycle" hasn't even started. Every product that is released doesn't need to be pre-order purchased by every consumer. I don't need this lens, so I wont buy it.

I won't be shocked if I can buy this lens for 1K in 8 years from now. And I won't be shocked if this lens ends up in a kit in the future. That's all I was saying.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

azizjhn

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »
It actually isn't that much more expensive than the 24-105 MSRP of $1,149.00 USD

Comparing MSRP to MSRP, the new lens is 30% more expensive than the 24-105.

Comparing current street prices, it is 100% more expensive ($1500 compared to $750).

My point was this lens is new, and it's "life cycle" hasn't even started. Every product that is released doesn't need to be pre-order purchased by every consumer. I don't need this lens, so I wont buy it.

I won't be shocked if I can buy this lens for 1K in 8 years from now. And I won't be shocked if this lens ends up in a kit in the future. That's all I was saying.

+1

RafaPolit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
...any way if any body don't like don't buy it there is no need for complaining or whining...
This is, precisely, a place to actually discuss and disagree about opinions, ideas and the decisions behind Canon's new products.  Also, many people eagerly await new releases, precisely, because they usually address key downsides or shortcomings of previous products.

That is why several people are complaining about this product (with good reason, IMHO).  Most everyone was expecting that, given the shorter range and identical luminosity of the 24-105, this would be significantly better in IQ to justify both the release of a newer product with shorter range and its at-release higher (MUCH! higher) price tag.

According to initial pre-views, it appears this lens does NOT fill those expectations.  Furthermore, Canon has, as of late, given many mind-baffling products: the very-expensive, very-slow but ISed 24, 28 and 35.  On the other hand, it has delayed what seems like forever the products people actually where looking for, like the 200-400, so many loyal Canon customers are really NOT happy with the trends of late.

I will repeat myself here, but I cannot see who would be seriously (and massively at that) interested in this lens.  Of course there are people here and there, but I can't see lots of people flocking to this lens if you can have the 24-105 for half the price!  Even if the IQ of the 24-70 is a bit better (which still remains to be seen and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt), paying twice as much for half the range and identical luminosity only for the macro option is kind of absurd.

I follow several sites and forums dedicated to photography and this is a general trend.  Incidentally, those other lenses I mentioned 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8 and 35 f2 have received equally bellow-expectation marks, and places like POTN with over 100K members, do not show anyone using those $800 lenses.  I feel this will be the same for this ultra expensive de-buffed 24-105 :( .  So Canon either missed the specs, or missed the price point.  The combo of both makes this lens really not very appealing to anyone other than the people that really need to have the latest for no other reason than being new.

Best regards,
Rafa.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:04:51 PM by RafaPolit »

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
I'am so excited about this lens specially for it is Macro capabilities

i dont know about you guys, but when i shoot macro, shooting distance is a real problem.  with this lens, i'd be straight up against my subject and likely blocking light...
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

azizjhn

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
...any way if any body don't like don't buy it there is no need for complaining or whining...
This is, precisely, a place to actually discuss and disagree about opinions, ideas and the decisions behind Canon's new products.  Also, many people eagerly await new releases, precisely, because they usually address key downsides or shortcomings of previous products.

That is why several people are complaining about this product (with good reason, IMHO).  Most everyone was expecting that, given the shorter range and identical luminosity of the 24-105, this would be significantly better in IQ to justify both the release of a newer product with shorter range and its at-release higher (MUCH! higher) price tag.

According to initial pre-views, it appears this lens does NOT fill those expectations.  Furthermore, Canon has, as of late, given many mind-baffling products: the very-expensive, very-slow but ISed 24, 28 and 35.  On the other hand, it has delayed what seems like forever the products people actually where looking for, like the 200-400, so many loyal Canon customers are really NOT happy with the trends of late.

I will repeat myself here, but I cannot see who would be seriously (and massively at that) interested in this lens.  Of course there are people here and there, but I can't see lots of people flocking to this lens if you can have the 24-105 for half the price!  Even if the IQ of the 24-70 is a bit better (which still remains to be seen and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt), paying twice as much for half the range and identical luminosity only for the macro option is kind of absurd.

I follow several sites and forums dedicated to photography and this is a general trend.  Incidentally, those other lenses I mentioned 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8 and 35 f2 have received equally bellow-expectation marks, and places like POTN with over 100K members, do not show anyone using those $800 lenses.  I feel this will be the same for this ultra expensive de-buffed 24-105 :( .  So Canon either missed the specs, or missed the price point.  The combo of both makes this lens really not very appealing to anyone other than the people that really need to have the latest for no other reason than being new.

Best regards,
Rafa.

A lot complain about 5D MK III and how it is expensive & inferior to Nikon D800 at the end so many people get it and happy with it. So it doesn't matter how bad it is in some people opinion no need to create a huge story of it. IF u don't like Canon strategy or product's there is an alternative solutions & it is good as Canon just no need to stick with it & complain how bad they are.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Who will be buying this?  :P

I'm definitely interested.  Waiting for reviews first, but I like the size/weight/flexibility for travel, walkaround, and it would probably be close to ideal as a single lens solution for my backpacking trips, too.  The buying decision for me will depend mostly on the optics.

first reviews... sharpness worse then 24-105mm f4.

http://i.imgur.com/FD4P3.jpg

That's some crazy schnitt!

Anyway, I'd wait for more reviews!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
Who will be buying this?  :P

I'm definitely interested.  Waiting for reviews first, but I like the size/weight/flexibility for travel, walkaround, and it would probably be close to ideal as a single lens solution for my backpacking trips, too.  The buying decision for me will depend mostly on the optics.

first reviews... sharpness worse then 24-105mm f4.

http://i.imgur.com/FD4P3.jpg

That's some crazy schnitt!

Anyway, I'd wait for more reviews!

+1

...and LOL.  ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »