November 27, 2014, 10:19:51 PM

Author Topic: Anyone still using a 20D?  (Read 7195 times)

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone still using a 20D?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »
I used a 30d until recently, then I got 127 pounds for it on ebay. It was a back up for my 7d.

I always was a good camera, and took good pictures until I sold it. I still sell pictures I took with it.

Up to date cameras will give better results and increase your opportunity to get a shot. Better autofocus,higher iso, more resolution will all mean you can get shots with a 5d3 that the 20d just can't capture to the same standard.

If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »
Was there any 10D users? I feel alone with saying how the 20D was the best thing since sliced bread.

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
The 20D marked a tremendous step forward in it's day for the Canon lineup, a nice improvement on the 10D and not really bettered for it's class in terms of IQ until the 40D came out many years later. I used a pair of them as a professional wedding photographer for many years with complete satisfaction. It's no worse a camera today, just been passed up by the capabilities of newer cameras. Considering it's value on the used market is little more than pocket change (in photographic equipment terms) it's probably worth keeping as a backup/beater camera unless you never anticipate needing such a thing. As noted by someone else, it also makes a great entry camera for a beginner photographer, maybe find a niece or nephew who might be a budding shutter bug and pass on the joy of photography to them, it's value in this respect may far exceed it's market worth.

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
a camera with me everyday is my 30d even though i am owning 7d and 5d mark iii.  i am using 30d to support all my experiments, especially shooting textures.

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »
My trusty 10d was by my side until i got the 6d. I was so use to maxing out at 800 iso, underexposing my shots by a stop, and slow AF. It is still a great camera and will still use for a backup.

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
Never throw away a dear old friend  ;)

I replaced it 4 years ago by two 40D s because the trigger button failed - I resolved the issue a few months ago with isopropanole after web based instructions and it worked. I will (never ?) give it away except to someone who will use (and love) it. It was my re-entry into real photography in 2005: with the great EF-S 60mm Macro.

Now it might be reused for
  * high resolution time lapse
  * as fourth body if I do not want change lenses
  * for projects where I would like to leave the camera position untouched

For you it might serve as 1.6x tele converter. Shure, the sensor crop of a new full frame will have a little better IQ especially at high ISO values. But: File size is much smaller and this might help for stray and pray situations where you shoot a lot of frames but only a few are good.

Avoid lens changes if you have shooting situations where a FF and a CROP body combine to a great combo - for me it will be the situation 10-22 on crop for overview shots and the 100mm Macro on FF for detail photographs.

And, as others said: It is a valuable backup body.

Best - Michael
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
The 20D marked a tremendous step forward in it's day for the Canon lineup, a nice improvement on the 10D and not really bettered for it's class in terms of IQ until the 40D came out many years later. I used a pair of them as a professional wedding photographer for many years with complete satisfaction. It's no worse a camera today, just been passed up by the capabilities of newer cameras. Considering it's value on the used market is little more than pocket change (in photographic equipment terms) it's probably worth keeping as a backup/beater camera unless you never anticipate needing such a thing. As noted by someone else, it also makes a great entry camera for a beginner photographer, maybe find a niece or nephew who might be a budding shutter bug and pass on the joy of photography to them, it's value in this respect may far exceed it's market worth.

Well said. Just in case someone has a shutter release button problem, the alcohol treatment really works. I used it to fix my 20D a few months back. now I have my back up body again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
@RLPhoto
The 10D was a little usurped by the original rebel, which could do most of the same things (with the hack) and a little bit more (EF-s) for a lot less.  It was also still quite an early camera before mass digital adoption.

My pal was looking for a cheap DSLR to fit his canon lenses so I sourced a good used one for him which was cheap as chips.  He didn't mind using a card reader and didn't have any EF-s lenses, so it was a perfect fit.

All of these cameras, the 10D, 20D, 300D can still make as good images as they did when new, that is, very good in -as with any camera- the right hands.

I would still be using my 400D quite happily had it not been for the advent of video on DSLRs, which made it a no-brainer for work.

Things may move on, and a 'classic' DSLR might not have as much novelty appeal as say a canon rangefinder, or nikon fm2, but as others have said, for those on a budget, students, folks starting out, or folks without excess disposable income, a lot of these 'obselete' cameras will work just fine.

awair

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
I have the 20D & just upgraded to the 7D. I was hoping to sell it, but no takers at any sensible price.

Over the years, I've had a few really good shots that I'm exceptionally happy with from the 20D, and I know its limitations (hence why I upgraded).

I'm keeping mine, but will try to use it more wisely:
* no cropping
* good lighting (avoid high ISO)
* simple composition/focussing

With a couple of decent lens, its better (for me) to have a 2nd camera ready to shoot, rather than miss something by having the 'wrong' lens on my 'good' camera.

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »
I have to say that the 30D I had is one rugged body (I know this is a 20D thread but same camera basically). I was at a graduation party I got hired to photograph and the client got a bit too drunk and accidentally threw up on me and my 30D while trying to get me to get a picture of their son. Ruined the lens but the body survived with no damage other then a good cleaning. I just recently gave it to my mother as a retirement gift and she jokes about it being "the camera that will never die". Has close to 200k shutter actuations.

Damon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Still using mine along with a 5Dc. I am still happy with both even with their limitations. :P The second I bother to check out something like the 5D markIII I will probably be like "whoa" what the blazes have I been doing? Check out the forum "survival of the fittest/luckiest" and you can laugh at my 20D (still going).
Funny thing is--I still am getting great images from both. They don't take video, open my beer, or mute my wife like the new ones do. Someday the latest camera will be in my hands but for now, I guess ignorance is bliss.

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
Ok, seeing as others have chimed in with their other 'older DSLR camera' input, here's mine.

I bought the Canon 350D (2nd 'entry level' Canon DSLR - aka 'Rebel XT' in some parts of the world) back in 2005.  I had a few digital P&S cameras before that, and was deciding between a 20D and 350D.

The 350D was slightly newer, cheaper - but didn't have all the same features of the 20D (eg real dial, as many Custom Functions, etc). I decided on the 350D, mainly due to price and size.  I was happy with it - and have taken many photos over the years (probably over 100k photos now).

In 2009 I bought the 7D... it was a definite step up for the 350D, and soon after the 7D had been announced I 'knew' this was the 'upgrade I was waiting for' (the 30D, 40D, didn't cut it for me). The 7D has been my workhorse since.  The improved AF, handling, LiveView, higher ISO capabilties, bigger, brighter OVF and screen all really made the photographic experience more pleasurable.  With my 7D I usually use my Canon 15-85mm USM IS lens.

Having said that, I still do use my 350D for the following:
- time lapse photography (either macro - with Canon 100mm USM macro or landscape usually with my Sigma 10-20mm), and my Hahnel Gigapro timer
- teaching friends / relatives aspects of DSLR photography (I give them the 350D to use / practice with often with the kit lens 18-55 attached)
- outings where I want the lightest / smallest travel package, again using 18-55 kit lens
- back up (eg when I have had my flash on my 7D serviced, under warrantee).

I hope to always keep my 350D as a backup, particularly as I have 3 well functioning batteries for it... (I have 2 for the 7D - which do last longer, but that's another story), and the 350D uses CF cards (win!)  When I run my 350D photos through DxO Optics Pro, I do find I need to adjust the settings a bit more than I do with the 7D (ie for more saturation, sharpness) to get the same results that I'm looking for.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers.
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

kritanat

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »
my 10d is still working well, it goes with me everywhere since summer '03, just got new shutter for 86 bucks. other than that, it still a great camera !!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »