December 20, 2014, 02:30:43 AM

Author Topic: Oddest kit purchase?  (Read 7825 times)

paul13walnut5

Oddest kit purchase?
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
What object have you bought / used for your photography that specifically has a non-photography purpose?

From my own kit (mainly video biased):

In the first dv days (vx1000a) I used to have a nylon stocking stretched over a filter to combat 'jaggies'

Currently I use corn plasters to conceal the heads of wireless radio mics under clothing

Clothes pegs to fix mic cables

And I use an elastic jar opener as a focus puller

What ingenuous use have you found for non-photo items?

canon rumors FORUM

Oddest kit purchase?
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »

BrandonKing96

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Oddest kit purchase?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »
Smart!  I attempted to use sunglasses as an ND filter.  Worked, but couldn't get the result I wanted (considering I was using it handheld as I didn't bring a tripod and I couldn't support the weight of the 24-70 II as well as usual).

Also this is pretty much the best result I got, but the others were more zoomed in and didn't have the sunglasses' frame in it.  Pretty interesting what people improvise with!
Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22; EF 70-200 f/4L IS; EF 24-70 f/2.8L II; 580EX II.  Soon to add: 50 1.2L, 135 f/2L, 8-15L

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
This could become a great "tips" thread.

I've bought plastic clamps from Lowes for hanging backdrops, etc. Cost a fraction of those sold in photo stores.

I carry a lint roller in my lighting bag to get cat fur, etc., off black backdrops.

Bought a cheap rolling suitcase from Wal-Mart to keep strobes in (yes, I have a problem)

In the old days I used electrical tape to tape two rear lens caps together back to back (very handy for keeping two small primes in the same slot in the camera bag and you never lose the caps, because they are always attached to at least one lens.)

In the category of "you know you've really lost it" – I asked my daughters to buy me a small pop-up deer blind that I put in the backyard next to the bird feeder so I can get closer to the birds.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

paul13walnut5

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
Hahaha!  @unfocused My softbox kit lives in £12 tesco rolling suitcase!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I bought a bolt of bright white drapery lining (translucent) that I drape over my fluorescent tube fixtures to diffuse the light.  Works great, few or no reflections from shiny objects. I use electronic ballasts and 98 CRI  4 ft tubes and get fantastic color.

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
When it comes to darkroom gear people fashion the strangest things into burn and dodge tools. I use a toy dolls arm with stubby fingers and a thumb while holding onto the forearm, works great.

As for digital hmmmm, well I did make a bean bag for macro with a nylon and rice then covered it with a thin sock, tied a tight knot and scissored off the end.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
I made a tri-pod collar for my Zuiko 100-200 f/5 plus 2x teleconverter combo from an exhaust hanger, 2 wing nuts, and electrical tape.  It worked very well.  I used it up until the time I sold my film gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
love that shot @BrandonKing96

All top tips, keep 'em coming!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »
Nothing to fancy.  I use a $2 plastic gold-colored charger (the kind that goes under a dinner plate) as a reflector for macro shooting

On the flip side, I use a Lowepro belt with Sliplock water bottle holders and pouches on outings with the kids, even without camera gear along, and my Christmas tree wouldn't be completely decorated without the SpyderCube that I hang on it an an ornament.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »

Great thread!

I don't have anything very strange, but...

I always have a couple of LED flashlights in my bag. Since I almost never use flash, a good flashlight can sometimes put a spot of light where it will do some good.

The other thing is a water spray bottle. Shoot flowers with a mist of water -- it can add a sheen or a dewy look to the petals. It usually also discourages pesky insects.

Thanks for asking.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:15:51 AM »
How about Beer Koozie's?  You know, the foam things that one puts a can in to keep it cool?  I use them to add a layer of protection to my lenses in my bag.  Very convenient and they fold up to almost nothing and can be stuffed into your pocket or a space in the bag when the lens is out..
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Dark Reality

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »
welding glass as a 13 stop nd filter.   
Photography saved my life.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:13 AM »
black shower curtains for a cheap backdrop

I too have used the jar opener for a cheap follow focus

I use these little silicon bracelets that bands/musicians give out for free at shows to protect my focus rings when I put a follow focus ring around my lenses.  I have the kind with screws

one thing I use a lot... the neighbors white garage door as a really big reflector.  the sun hits it just right through most of the morning and afternoon and I never have to pull out a reflector

I like the idea of using the beer bottle/water bottle holders to protect my lenses.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

Rams_eos

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:55:14 AM »
Some years ago I was visiting Florida and the Everglades.

I did a bike tour in the middle of Alligators, snakes and other funny animals.

All I had was a Canon G9 which was a bit limited to shot the big ones in the pond below.
I was not brave enough to come closer :-\

So I used binoculars that I placed in front of the lens. It is a bit tricky to setup but I got some “decent” picture :D

For a European, it a bit surprising that you are warned that coffee is hot at McDona.. but they let you ride a bike in the middle of alligators and snakes without a word about danger ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:55:14 AM »