September 19, 2014, 02:02:58 AM

Author Topic: Oddest kit purchase?  (Read 7130 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: Oddest kit purchase?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 05:02:09 AM »
I think it's just the snakes you have to watch now, as they've eaten everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 05:02:09 AM »

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 05:10:44 AM »
welding glass as a 13 stop nd filter.
What 'shade'? As in what shade to ask for at a welding supply shop, those guys don't speak in stops. Arc welding glass is available in a range from 6 through 13 (maybe more), the 'shade' is selected according to the amperage used while welding.
Oxy/acetylene glass is typically shade 3 or 5, 3 being similar to sunglasses, 5 similar to pretty dark sunglasses.

40 on 6

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »
I keep 4 sun shades (five different colors) in my car all the time ... these are used both to protect my car interior from the desert heat (131 Farenheit / 55 Celsius) as well as bounce the sun light and/or speedlites to achieve the desired color balance to the photos ... total cost less than $7.
When they are used as reflectors, one end is tied to the car and the other end is tied to my tripod or mono pod or sometimes to a tree, wall or another vehicle ... pretty much anything that is available/convenient.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:12:34 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

jsexton

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Raw Light Photos
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
I used a black beer coozie, black straws and thin cardboard to make a grid for my flash.  Crunches down pretty well in my camera bag and it was basically free.
4 Canon bodies and a bunch of lenses.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
In a jewelry shoot, I used my white T shirt as a bounce card.  :P

SteveCSmith

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »

LOL - I wonder if the flash would trigger my auto-darkening helmet?

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »
Great Minds Think Alike!

I have also done the following (like many of you)...

-  Can Coozy Neoprene Lens Cover (esp for my 15mm FishEye, then I finally got a Op/Tech version)
-  SunShade Reflectors (I use the collapsible circular ones but I'll look for those colored ones)
-  Semi-Transparent diffused plastic shower curtain to use in front of harsh window light, etc for portraits
-  Multiple things for flash reflectors/diffusers like cards, toilet paper, napkins, cloth, foil, etc.
-  I keep a large rubber band with my B+W Polarizer because it will always "lock" on a lens.

There's gotta be more I've done that's similar but it's still early and I'm only on coffee cup #1...   ;)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »

yogi

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
Some years ago I was visiting Florida and the Everglades.

I did a bike tour in the middle of Alligators, snakes and other funny animals.

All I had was a Canon G9 which was a bit limited to shot the big ones in the pond below.
I was not brave enough to come closer :-\

So I used binoculars that I placed in front of the lens. It is a bit tricky to setup but I got some “decent” picture :D

For a European, it a bit surprising that you are warned that coffee is hot at McDona.. but they let you ride a bike in the middle of alligators and snakes without a word about danger ???

yogi

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
The Mcdonalds warning is a result of a customer spilling hot coffee on their lap and winning bunches of money from a lawsuit.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »
My Camera Holder Techniques...

I haven't used a neck strap for carrying a camera in over 5 years.  (More than that really.)  I never liked neck straps and I love the diagonal strap method (Black Rapid, et al.) where the camera hangs at your hip.  However, sometimes having a strap at all is too much.  Carrying a DSLR pretty much brands you as a Geek no matter what but I still try to minimize it when possible.  So I came up with a way to have the camera at my hip without a strap at all.  It's hard to eat and drink when you can't put down your camera.  I use a true climbing carabiner on my belt.  It's large, precise and sticks out just enough.  I tried this with the cheap smaller carabiners (which I use for a million other things) but they aren't big enough to manipulate on my belt.  This is exactly what I purchased so I would have two and the bent style works best...
http://www.rei.com/product/809731/black-diamond-positron-quickdraw-set

This evolved from what I do when on campouts.  I have a simple rule when in dirty environments or where lots of kids are running around knocking things off tables, spilling things, etc.  I never set my camera down on anything.  It's either hanging off me somehow, or it's hanging off something else (preferably at eye level or above) like a tree, a tall branch or a structure beam.  To do this I simply use bungee cords or whatever to allow the use of a carabiner to connect the loop that is screwed into the 1/4-20 socket on the bottom of the camera.  I also will hang a camera(s) from a secure carabiner attached to the head rest in the car because I know the camera will not fall, fly or otherwise be damaged while driving.  This is faster than stowing it in a case, esp if I want to leave a flash, etc on it.  I also hang a camera(s) from baker's rack shelving in my office sometimes to get them out of the way.

Bonus...
I also use a Nikon AH-4 Leather Hand Grip on all my cameras.  As a result, the plate on the bottom gives me another place to attach a standard 1" steel keyring which hangs over the bottom corner a bit because I reverse the plate when I install the grip on the camera.  My strapless carabiner on belt carry method can be used with or without the AH-4 but it's easier with the AH-4 + keyring and I think it hangs better as well.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Nikon-AH-4-Leather-Hand-Grip-Review.aspx

So to summarize - bungee straps, belts, carabiners of all kinds and 1/4-20 screw in loop devices to hang from are all very handy to secure the camera in many different situations...

Dark Reality

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
What 'shade'? As in what shade to ask for at a welding supply shop, those guys don't speak in stops. Arc welding glass is available in a range from 6 through 13 (maybe more), the 'shade' is selected according to the amperage used while welding.
Oxy/acetylene glass is typically shade 3 or 5, 3 being similar to sunglasses, 5 similar to pretty dark sunglasses.

The one i use is shade 10. Picked it up from home depot.  I attached it to a broken filter to use on my lens. Its mostly only good for black and white images because of the extreme green tint it gives everything, but ive heard of people being able to color correct for it.
Photography saved my life.

AdamJ

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
I carry my lighting stands, etc. in a field hockey stick bag, bought new for £5 on Ebay.

Within my tripod bag, the optional short centre column is stored in a cyclist's 700ml plastic tool bottle (£3).

My filters are stored in an Otterbox 3500 - like a miniature Peli case, complete with pluck foam. On the whole, I seem to have an unusually strong liking for storage solutions!

I previously used cut-down Pringles tubes as snoots on my flashes but now I have one of these which I can recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Stacking-Modifier-System-Speedlite/dp/B008OILV3A

Finally, I use clear plastic name badge holders as gel flash filter holders.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
I find it amazing how consistently the light doesn't seem to know how much you paid for the modifier in question!  Good 'ole Cowboy Ingenuity (or Cowboy Studio, or Chinese Imports) strikes again!!   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
This is what a dollar's worth of posterboard can do as a reflector:

Heidy by Rick.Scheibner, on Flickr
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

crasher8

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »
I can't stop thinking about the two rear lens caps glued together trick….I'm thinking 50 1.4-40 2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »