August 29, 2014, 02:43:01 PM

Author Topic: for those who snub the 6D AF...  (Read 23294 times)

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: for those who snub the 6D AF...
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »
Yeah, definitely easier than oncoming traffic, but still doable.  I have a few, no idea where though, too big of a unorganized hard drive...  Use a higher ISO, stop the lens down, don't zoom in so much and later crop in a bit.

The best shot I ever missed was being passed by a Concorde above us.  Felt like we were standing still.  Way too quick to grab a film camera.

I have a ton of ground to air shots too.  Have given up standing by airports though.  No more fun since 9-11.  Although St. Maarten is still a blast.  And it does sporadically rain there on occasion, that would be a great place for planes and rain and rainbows and so on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Good idea, i've seen quite a few youtube vids of St. Maarten.  Alas, I have yet to travel there.

300 f/4 IS + 2.0x ii, handheld standing in my front yard, 1D Mark IV, cropped to 100%, ISO 1250, a bit of NR in ACR and PS, opened as a 16 bit file.  Center point-only AF, effectively an f/8 lens...shot at f/10...about 40 minutes before sunset.  This is one of the sharper shots I got with this combo (of planes or otherwise).  The 2.0x ii is fussy, and so was this lens.  But renting the 1D IV was (I imagine) about as fun as visiting the bunny ranch...ahahahah.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »
Uncropped version, scaled down.

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 05:24:19 AM »
Something recent, A340 rwy 10 CCS
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »
Very nice!

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
Nothing at all special about this other than it is 6D handheld and shows what I got with the 300 2.8 II and the 2X III  AI focus AF, in case anyone might wonder.

Looking at the displayed AF points, I had  moved way off target.

6D  600mm 1250th F6.3  ISO 250

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 04:17:53 AM »
Jack, that looks decent, but perhaps it should have been sharper.  I'm not sure why you weren't in single shot autofocus.  For a shot like this, you need to refine infinity focus by a couple of half presses of the shutter in single shot mode...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 04:17:53 AM »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 01:08:48 AM »
Thanks CarlTN,

The answer.  I don't think I gave it any thought since I was still in learning mode not having used the camera very much.  I'll take your advice for this and some other situations.  I think I just happened to see the plane and swung the camera up like a point and shoot dummy!

Actually, I'm suffering from chronic severe headaches after getting hit on the head some months back and most days I just go out in nature to try to engage my mind in something not very demanding.  Hope that changes because I really wan't to improve my technique.

It's over three weeks now and where's my 6D?!  :'(

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »
Jack, very sorry to hear of your injury, I hope you improve and have fewer headaches!  I also hope you get your camera back soon.

jon_charron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »
Didn't read the whole thread, but I will say this:  I HAD a 7D, which I loved.  It was stolen and replaced it with a 6D with 24-105 lens at $2329.  So you can guys can figure out what that equates to price wise for the body.

Once you get used to the 7D for sports, birds, or whatever, you will be very frustrated with the 6D focusing ability on moving subjects.  Sigh.  The wifi is not a great solution for studio work like I thought it would be, and I never use GPS because it ALWAYS stays on even when the camera is turned off and it's easy to kill your battery accidentally.  I still shoot portraits tethered via USB, and the images straight of the camera are 5DIIish = pretty good and perhaps slightly nicer than the 7D, which would usually need a bit of PP to make them their best.

I planned to get a 7D II when it came out, but got tired of waiting.  What I probably should have done was get a 7D right away and sell it later when the 7D II came out.  The 6D is just...meh.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »

I planned to get a 7D II when it came out, but got tired of waiting.  What I probably should have done was get a 7D right away and sell it later when the 7D II came out.  The 6D is just...meh.

yeah hard decision.. 7D ugly noise... or the 6D AF.
well, it depends what you shoot.

for my kind of work today i take the 6D all day over a 7D.

i bought a 7D for action shots.. but the IQ never really impressed me.
and i don´t use it very often.

the 6D on the other hand .. you can´t get better IQ with a canon today.
i even compared it to the 1D X and they are so close.

i ended up buying one (after my 5D MK2 shutter finaly died i needed a new camera fast).
even when i think the 6D AF is kind of a shame for a canon camera in 2013.
but hey you have to know what you will use it for.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:32:44 PM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

babiesphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
How about subjects moving towards the camera, off-center, shooting sub f/2.8 and that will make the 5d2/6D sweat.

+1 ... Try shooting a two year old kid running about ... The shots in focus will be great, but they'll be a minor percentage of the total shots made.

Yeah, I do that all the time.
I found that percentage of fails was very high with 5d mark III.
Of course 6D is a bit worse, but for all practical purposes I could use either one and expect similar low percentage of in focus pics, and few keepers per each session...

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
How about subjects moving towards the camera, off-center, shooting sub f/2.8 and that will make the 5d2/6D sweat.

+1 ... Try shooting a two year old kid running about ... The shots in focus will be great, but they'll be a minor percentage of the total shots made.

Yeah, I do that all the time.
I found that percentage of fails was very high with 5d mark III.
Of course 6D is a bit worse, but for all practical purposes I could use either one and expect similar low percentage of in focus pics, and few keepers per each session...

Then you must be using the MK3 wrong, Its been atleast 70% hit rate with the 50L in the situation I mentioned. You'd be lucky to get a 30% hit rate with a 6D/5D2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
Didn't read the whole thread, but I will say this:  I HAD a 7D, which I loved.  It was stolen and replaced it with a 6D with 24-105 lens at $2329.  So you can guys can figure out what that equates to price wise for the body.

Once you get used to the 7D for sports, birds, or whatever, you will be very frustrated with the 6D focusing ability on moving subjects.  Sigh.  The wifi is not a great solution for studio work like I thought it would be, and I never use GPS because it ALWAYS stays on even when the camera is turned off and it's easy to kill your battery accidentally.  I still shoot portraits tethered via USB, and the images straight of the camera are 5DIIish = pretty good and perhaps slightly nicer than the 7D, which would usually need a bit of PP to make them their best.

I still wonder if people who have had a similar experience to you, just left the AF adjustments at their factory default?  I changed mine some, and it is very responsive for servo autofocus.  I have yet to miss one shot.

The 7D is highly inferior, regarding IQ, to the 6D.  It just is.  Far from "slightly nicer"...the 7D is rubbish above IS0 640, at least compared to the 6D.  The 6D's files are even better than the 5D3's...between ISO 1000 and 16,000.  To say otherwise is to not directly compare the two, which I have...or to be overly biased or dishonest.

sarakoth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2013, 01:35:02 AM »
I still wonder if people who have had a similar experience to you, just left the AF adjustments at their factory default?  I changed mine some, and it is very responsive for servo autofocus.  I have yet to miss one shot.

Might have missed this, but can you expand on what you did?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2013, 01:35:02 AM »