October 01, 2014, 08:30:53 PM

Author Topic: Which is better? 5D MKII or 6D?  (Read 18642 times)

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Which is better? 5D MKII or 6D?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
Oh yeah.. the 6D is way better camera than the 5d MKII..
and has better AF center point and high ISO compared with 5D MKIII...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
Oh yeah.. the 6D is way better camera than the 5d MKII..
and has better AF center point and high ISO compared with 5D MKIII...

Against 5D2....yeah...

But, against 5D3, not even playing on the same field.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

stephr

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
I just sold my 5D2 and replaced it with a 6D last month. I can without hesitation say that the 6D is hands down a better camera than the 5D2 in every way except price.

It's smaller, lighter, has silent shutter, useable 12800 ISO, better controls (lack of joystick aside), similar or better build quality, similar or better image quality at low ISO, far superior image quality at high ISO, superior AF performance (especially the center point in low light) and the list goes on.

I would never go back to a 5D2. I would, however, go up to a 5D3  :P

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention the Wi-fi and GPS. Two features I don't really care about but they are actually pretty awesome if you plan on using them!

What about  shutter speed, sync speed, build, size (try a 85 1.2 with a 6D and you'll know what I'm talking about), all that with the same picture quality at iso under 1600 for 1000$ less. I don't think it's an easy decision between the two.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:41:13 PM by stephr »

killerBEEcamaro

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:39 AM »
i know the 6D is very new, but the pictures i have seen so far has not awed me as the pictures for the 5DII have. new tech is always better, but sometimes the older stuff may be better.
CANON 60D | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM| EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS| EF 50mm f/1.8 II

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
The video on the 5D2 is better than the 6D. In certain conditions it's better than the 5D3 too(because Canon didn't have a cinema line to protect then), but it does suffer from worse moire.

Unless you really need the improved AF, I think the 5D2 beats the 6D hands down.

Although i think the wiFi is an underrated feature.

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
The 6D is better in low light for sure and the images in general look slightly better. For just about everything else, the 5D mark II is better. The 6D is definitely not a 5D replacement. It is more of a 60D upgrade.
More information in this review: http://learningcameras.com/reviews/4-dslrs/91-canon-6d-review

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
I just sold my 5D2 and replaced it with a 6D last month. I can without hesitation say that the 6D is hands down a better camera than the 5D2 in every way except price.

+1  - though the 6d is missing platinum cps in europe, 1/8000s, 1/200 x-sync, 150k shutter

The 6D is better in low light for sure and the images in general look slightly better. For just about everything else, the 5D mark II is better. The 6D is definitely not a 5D replacement. It is more of a 60D upgrade.

Absolutely not - it may be a 60d-like body, but has numerous small but very convenient advantages over the 4+ year old 5d2, and even the 5d2-style af on the 6d has more precision than the predecessor - look at the list here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11309.0

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »

hemidesign

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
More information in this review: http://learningcameras.com/reviews/4-dslrs/91-canon-6d-review

I disagree with you...6D blow away the 5D mk2 in every aspect.. don't even compare old camera with the new ones.. looks the center point AF, -3ev and high quality image in high ISO.. plus a buch of other stuff..

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
I disagree with you...6D blow away the 5D mk2 in every aspect.. don't even compare old camera with the new ones.. looks the center point AF, -3ev and high quality image in high ISO.. plus a buch of other stuff..
I agree the high ISO image quality on the 6D was amazing...even slightly better than my 5D3. The -3ev is more of a spec than anything else. In practice, the center 6D focus point, even in pitch black performed about equally to the 5D3 cross type points but the other points on the 6D failed. I will admit that the 6D is slightly better than the 5D2 in AF but only slightly. I wish the 6D was better. Of course you do get wifi & GPS and while I don't like GPS, there are some uses for Wifi.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
6D is an "updated" 5D2... with tweaks and goodies to bring 5D2 into the expectations of 2012.
If budget is not an issue, 6D is the clear choice between the two bodies. It is more contentious comparison if one starts dragging in 5D3... just the AF makes it a different animal.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
here is what happening" since 2008" sensor  and  todays 6D sensor
improved  QE, higher FWC, but still a lot of read out noise  and low DR at base iso,
improved high iso, and less banding at base iso

+1
however, the slight reduction in 6D's read noise figure does not tell the whole story.

We don't know HOW the read noise is calculated.  To me it seems they're taking an AVERAGE read noise value instead of a peak-to-peak read noise value.

The difference being you can have 2 levels of average read noise that are very similar, as in the 5d2 and 6d, but they can have different peak-to-peak values.
The peak-to-peak read noise levels are more relevant because the peaks are what become more visible in shadow areas.
In the case of the 5d2 the peak read noise occurs repetitively when going across the sensor horizontally, which results in a pattern of vertical noise stripes visible at lower ISO settings.  These stripes get obscurred by larger amounts of relative random noise as you increase ISO.
The 6d's low ISO readout noise is much more uniform from pixel to pixel, resulting in a smoother looking tone in the shadow areas.  This sort of noise also responds better to NR software so you lose less actual image detail because you don't need to smear the image so much to obscure the banding structures.

In this respect alone, the 6D is quite far improved over the 5d2 and even the 5d3.

As an overall package, I'd still consider the other improvements and refinements of the 6D over the 5d2 as significant.
I'm selling my 5d2 to fund a 6d. The 6d is Canon's best IQ per cost FF camera and if you don't need the performance features of the 5d3 or 1dx it's a no-brainer.
I don't care about video so haven't compared it.

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »

Completely disagree with you. I sold my 5D2 for a 6D and I can confirm that the 6D is better than the 5D2 in every way.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
I agree the high ISO image quality on the 6D was amazing...even slightly better than my 5D3. The -3ev is more of a spec than anything else. In practice, the center 6D focus point, even in pitch black performed about equally to the 5D3 cross type points but the other points on the 6D failed. I will admit that the 6D is slightly better than the 5D2 in AF but only slightly. I wish the 6D was better. Of course you do get wifi & GPS and while I don't like GPS, there are some uses for Wifi.

Have you shot a 6D in an actual event? Just wondering :) I owned a 5D mark II for at least 3 years and the 6D is just slightly better than the 5D mark II in almost everything with the AF being the most noticeable. It's also "snappier" with the updated Digic 5+ chip. No one knew how sluggish the 5D mark II was until the next generation of full frame cameras came out, including the 6D. I don't care much for the GPS, and got bored of the WiFi feature over time. No big deal. But after shooting 4 events with a 6D already I can even go as far as saying that the video quality better. Not miles better, but I see stronger moire in my old 5D mark II footage. I can also attest that my 6D's center focus point is better than my 5D mark IIIs center points depending on the situation. I can get crowd reactions at a venue where only the stage is lit easier with the 6D's center point when my 5D3s would just hunt at center with the same lens. I'm not sure how you got your results in pitch black, but honestly... pitch black testing? How did you see your subject in pitch black? =P Anyways, I wouldn't call it just a spec, I'd rather call it getting the shot when another camera can't, especially against the 5D mark II. I admit, moving subjects are a different story with the 5D3 but you might want to get your 6D checked by Canon support. I wouldn't underestimate the center point.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
This is symantics, because the 6D is the closest thing to the 5D2 and the comparisons are valid, but I want to point out that the 6D is more of a full-frame rendition of the 60D and less of a 5D2 replacement.

The 6D has more gadgets and and a shrank footprint, at the expense of ergonomics (button layout) and ruggedness, meaning they're choosing marketing over robustness, like they would normally for a Rebel or xxD line.

The difference in size alone should be a clear indicator, along with the slower, laggier shutter (which is just pure crippling??) and the required plastic top for the wifi/gps.

None of this doesn't mean it's a great camera, I'm sure it is, but it wasn't designed as a professional's tool, the 5D2 is.  I went with the 5D2 and am still happy with that choice.

Plus, I'm 6'0" with big hands, so that made it an easy choice :D
gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
Read noise and fixed patter noise   can easily been level out / removed with black frames,..
true, but that's more PP work than I want, or any of us should have, to do to get a decent low ISO image

There are also banding  where  the read out levels are  uneven calibrated  to the ADC , like the  problem with the first 7d.
Sold my 7D because of that, tired of those 8 pixel wide strips in the shadows because the dual readout channels were not properly matched

If Canon would  they can limit the read-out noise, others with the same type of readout and signal path to the ADC can do it. ..
That's what I'm thinking. There are other sensor systems out there that are made more like Canon's than Sony's and they still perform better than Canon.  Obviously the technology exists for Canon to improve their read noise, and their read noise variation, even without spending a lot on developing a sensor as good as Sony's, etc.

The 6D is the best for reduced low ISO pattern noise I've seen since the 50D came out.  Their earlier cameras did not seem to suffer from FPN nearly as much.  Seems that when they added video capability, that's when things started to go sour.  Even the live-view capable 40D and 400D didn't have the FPN isssues as bad as later models like the 7D, 5D2, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »