December 22, 2014, 03:42:58 PM

Author Topic: 600 ex -rt sticky wheel syndrome  (Read 1953 times)

thelonelyphotographer

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
600 ex -rt sticky wheel syndrome
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
I have 3 of the 600 ex rt  speedlites.  last night as I was gearing up one of the units the adjustment wheel became really stuck  almost impossible to move I had to jam my fingernails into the grooves to rotate it.
the other 2 units units seemed stiffer than usual. I took them to Canon service in Irvine 53 miles away,
the intake receptionist took the bad one back to repair  and came back  said it was normal.   Well  that  made my day,  I told the girl to try the  other unit.  duh...
A speedlite you can't adjust is useless.  I think the lube used is  gumming up the wheel  as it was really cold here   and  maybe the heat from the flashing   degraded the  lube.   either way   its a problem  especially for a $550 speedlite.  My other two units are exhibiting bad behavior as well..  I really think the cold weather is affecting  them..

canon rumors FORUM

600 ex -rt sticky wheel syndrome
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 600 ex -rt sticky wheel syndrome
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
I really think the cold weather is affecting  them..

I've had the same experience, the wheel on my 600rt some time became nearly impossible to move and I was near taking it to Canon (and waiting a couple of weeks since I don't have cps). But it loosened itsself again, and right now indoors it's 100% ok.

It really might be cold weather and thus the problem probably is non-serviceable. Maybe Canon will change the lubrication on the next bunch of flashes if they get too many reports, the usual effect of being an early adopter...

Dekaner

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
I'm having this same problem with one of my flashes - out of curiosity, what did Canon charge to fix it?  No other issues with the flash and no damage.  It adjusts fine if I change the settings in-camera or via their wireless remote.

jheez

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
I have the same issue on all five of my flashes. I've had to send some flashes to Canon for non-related repairs and they always came back with a smooth wheel. Wonder if this is a fix we could do ourselves.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
One of my 600EX-RT's has a smooth wheel and the other is a dog....hot or cold weather.
It's seriously annoying.

-pw

jheez

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
Fyi I sent one of my flashes into Canon to fix this problem. $169 repair minus CPS discount.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »