October 21, 2014, 01:01:41 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces EOS 60D  (Read 62293 times)

trulandphoto

Re: Canon Announces EOS 60D
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 06:46:35 AM »
i think, this camera are intended for rebel users who want a bit larger and better body but don't want the bulk of 7d. as for 40d/50d owners its a disappointment, canon is pushing them to go to 7d route. i think thats their strategy.

I agree totally. Glad I picked up an extra 50D body recently. IMO, the 60D sits at the top of the rebel lineup and the 7D is the real successor to the 50D. When I wear out my 50Ds I expect i will go with whatever is the then current 7D successor.

In a lot of ways, people who were saying there would be no 60D and the 7D is the replacement were right all along.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 06:46:35 AM »

ELK

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 06:53:41 AM »
I think 60D will be sold only in limited quantities, about 1000 samples or so. Signed and sealed by Canon CEO and Head of Marketing. I think 1 year is the  maximum life cycle for all 3 of them :)
So grab the 60D as long as you can, because it'll become very rare soon and available only via Sotheby's!

angularvelocity

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 07:01:23 AM »
I am so happy that canon _FINALY_ chose to fix the damn AGC.

Thousands of people signed for petition to disable the agc control in the 550d model. However, canon never fixed the agc issue in 550d by firmware update. They did fix the agc issue for 5dmkII though.

Will get the 60D just for the rotating screen and the manual audio gain feature :) It's a really nice camera for people who are interested in making videos :)

I hope that magic lantern guy would fix the agc issue for 550d too :)

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »
I don't get why everyone is so disappointed. When the 7D was introduced, the buzz was that it was "the" true successor to the 50D, and that the XXD series was actually going to go away. It is a great step up from the 50D, and is still much cheaper in real terms than most of the preceding XXD line was when introduced.

Then the 550D/T2i came out, with one "shortcoming" compared to the D5000 - no articulating screen - and everyone wondered why. But still bought them in droves. They also noticed the gap in price, and thought, maybe there could be a middle ground camera. But what features could a middle child have to fill the gap without significantly cannibalizing its bigger and smaller brothers?

Now we have that middle ground, and people are complaining that there isn't some massive improvement over the model that is still a few hundred (insert favorite currency) higher, while discounting the fact that most of the major operational pieces are significantly nicer than the body that is a few hundred lower.

My take is, the 60D is exactly what it needs to be. Heck, I might even buy one!

editreject

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 07:21:56 AM »
While I may be a bit disappointed, I do not understand all the hostility toward Canon on here.  You would have thought they just shot your dog or something.  If I did not already own the 550D then this would be a serious option for me.  It is roughly $500 less that the 7D for the body with some very nice specs plus it is lighter too.  I would like to get my hands on one to test it out.  That is when I would ultimately make my decision, not on some press release.

HilaryC

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »
Once again Canon Management Dept listened to their Marketing Dept and came up with a loser.
The 60D is an upgraded rebel series camera. I guess all the soccer moms will be running to their local Camera market in September to pick up this useless product.
Hilary

canonguy

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »
Sounds like Nikon looked at what Canon had (Canon EOS 7D) and designed the D7000, and Canon looked at what Nikon had (Nikon D90) and designed the EOS 60D.

But Canon was probably not anticipating that the D7000 by the looks of it is actually replacing the D300s and going to compete with the Canon EOS 7D and now Canon EOS 60D aswell!

That said, as many others, I am dissapointed but not entirely surprised by this 60D.

Lowering the fps is probably due to that a single Digic IV can't do better than this with that amount of data.
Microadjustment is pretty useless and will do more harm than good. So I can understand why they removed it.
Plastic body, they looked at D90 I would think and got rid of the Mg body. BIg dissapointment unless the plastic quality is phenomenal, which the T2i is far from and reaches poor quality IMO.

By the way, I have been a bit out of the loop regarding Nikon, but we know for sure that AF in video mode is much faster now? And how did they fix that issue? no Contrast detection AF anymore? I understand how SONY did it with their extra sensor part for AF, did Nikon do the same?

MICROADJUSTMENT is one of the best improvements of a DSLR camera. Guess you really dont have an idea on how to make the most out of it

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »

ELK

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »
I don't get why everyone is so disappointed...
My take is, the 60D is exactly what it needs to be....

I would absolutely agree with you, in case if Canon was the only player in DSLR market.
In reality though giving out products which are exactly what they need to be, means losing competition. Because competition HAS ALREADY introduced products of lower grade which ARE mode than they need to be. Now really, what will happen to 60D sales if D7000 comes at a same price and with expected feature set?
1. First-timers: no single semi-pro body seeker will choose 60D over D7000.
2. First-timers: no single lower grade body seeker will choose Canon over Nikon, because a) they won't see which significanlty better body they can upgrade to for reasonable price; b) all the internet is already full of frustrated 60D waiting list;
3. Nikon users - no single Nikon advanced or lower user will switch to Canon for same reasons.
4. Scenario for people that have Canon already is same as always - a) Mostly high-end photographers - keep on going Canon for many reasons (body sucks - lens rules, switch is expensive and the difference doesn't matter in real life, this Nikon-Canon win&lose game will never end etc); b) Mostly below high-end photographers - switch to Nikon, because a) I want it all and I want it now! (I follow the trends, I need low light performance etc); b) I am studio photographer Canon again proves to be concentrated on sports/wildlife lenses only; c) d) e) many different reasons and different scenarios.
5. Videographers. I beleive those who are not in hurry they'll wait for D7000 to decide, but most obviously it's video will be en par with 7D, so Canon's benefit in video will be only in FF, until Nikon comes with it's version.

I beleive 60D is perfectly good camera on it's own. And it's exactly what it needs to be, unless we consider the above.

canonguy

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
even the 50D has micro adjustment! this is why i want to upgrade my 40d and of course for a better LCD. but with these specs, im better off with my 40d and save a lot of money.

i dont know with canon but aren't you suppose to upgrade a model and not degrade it???
magnesium to plastic
6+fps to 5+ fps
microadjustment to NONE

oh yeah lets not forget the latest innovation in DSLR technology, the built in post processing sh*t. whats next? maybe embed DPP? congratulations canon this is really something! and canon was the 1st to achieve it!

unruled

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:56 AM »
I like mg bodies, but a bigger body than 550d, but remaining light.... I can get with it... given the right circumstances.

however the real dealbreaker is the price. The price is way too close to the 7d.

The 60d really does seem like an entry level 550d with a bigger body. Thats a big bummer.

ravenhair

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
Hello Guys, 60D is a great dissapointment for me to...but lets wait a little longer untile they will test it on DXO... this is where we shall focus and whats important in camera too, not only if the body is plastic, but parameters like dynamic range which canon sucks in big time, tonal range, color and so on.

For exaple check this one: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/619|0/%28appareil2%29/439|0/%28appareil3%29/272|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28br...and3%29/Canon

Go to the dynamic range panel and look how nikon overpissed Canon...this is what sucks for me at canon the most, this is where i am waiting for improvement. If canon can deliver better quality sensor all other stuff can be forgiven. At least by me.

I was waiting on 60D like little boy on his first toy car, but now i see that 7D it will be. If i handt be so packed up with Canon gear i would seriously think of moving to nikon too...because the sensor, not by anger that 60D is a piece of...

trulandphoto

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
[...] It is a great step up from the 50D, and is still much cheaper in real terms than most of the preceding XXD line was when introduced.

[...]
My take is, the 60D is exactly what it needs to be. Heck, I might even buy one!

Hogwash. This is no step up from 50D, unless you want video, which I do not. Smaller body, SD cards, no microadjust, plastic body... I always thought I'd like an articulating screen but the one on my G11 is a pain in the butt. Just another thing to mess with when getting the camera ready.

Rebel owners will love it. People for whom the 7d and XXd lines are not too much camera will probably pass.

DVSdan

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
Disappointing. Canon is clearly trying to drive people towards the 7D and get an extra $600 out of them.

I was looking to buy the 60D anyways, but it still seems like bs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2010, 09:55:36 AM »

Hogwash. This is no step up from 50D, unless you want video, which I do not. Smaller body, SD cards, no microadjust, plastic body... I always thought I'd like an articulating screen but the one on my G11 is a pain in the butt. Just another thing to mess with when getting the camera ready.

Rebel owners will love it. People for whom the 7d and XXd lines are not too much camera will probably pass.

Re-read the part you quoted first - that was referring to the 7D as the "great step up" from the 50D, not the 60D.

I still say the 60D is correct for what it is in Canon's new line-up.

ravenhair

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
I still say the 60D is correct for what it is in Canon's new line-up.

It might be correct, but its released on wrong date. Its like releasing 500D after 550D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »