December 28, 2014, 08:02:56 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces EOS 60D  (Read 64551 times)

mivaho

Re: Canon Announces EOS 60D
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »
Hi,

Just to put in my thoughts on the matter, first post and all. :)

I'm in the market for a new camera and was looking at the 50D when I read the rumors about the 60D coming about. Knowing the price would be much higher then the 50D at the present time it would need to be a BIG improvement.

Looking at the price € 1,149 as preferred selling price (will drop about a 100 in the store I guess) it's only 100 to 200 euro's less then a 7D over here in Holland (1269 euro). So if I had to make a decision between those I would go for the extra euros and get myself an  7D. But seeing that I need pre sets on the dial because my GF wants to use the cam as well the 7D is not an option even if I had the money.

Not needing video I find the 50D overall a better choice if you look at the price/feature ratio, a 50D sells for about 679 euro at the moment.

So my mind is made up, thanks Canon for helping me out. :) I'll get that 50D body with a nice lens on it and wait another 3 to 4 years to see what you come with. Or sooner, who knows?

Michel

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »
I still say the 60D is correct for what it is in Canon's new line-up.

It might be correct, but its released on wrong date. Its like releasing 500D after 550D

No, the 60D is a "fresh start" for this position in the model line. The 550D is clearly a lesser camera. The 7D is the true successor to the 50D and is clearly a superior camera. The 60D is almost exactly in between in capabilities and price, but also has a few "new" features (e.g. the swivel back) representative of its later development. I don't think we'll see more than 18MP coming from Canon in the APS C range any time soon. That is effectively their line in the quality sands, and what they feel is the best compromise (with current technology) between resolution, noise, and dynamic range.

Idahophoto

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
I agree this camera is a joke. Why someone would pick a 60D over a 50D is beyond me. No PC sync, No metal body, slower FPS to name a few and it uses SD rather than CF cards Where is the Rebel tag in front of the name?. Cool they added a speedlight commander but I had that on my Nikon D90 so all I can say there is it's about time it was added , The tilt screen is a nice feature but thats all I could see on the specs that look any good everything else is a serious downgrade. WTF Canon, this is a huge disappointment!!!

Peerke

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:41 AM »
 ::)One positive thing about the 60D just poped up in my mind. This camera won't produce much buyer remorse for people who bought any Canon camera in the past 2 years I guess.  :P
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »
While I bought the 7D shortly after it's arrival last year and have no budget to personally acquire this camera, I think this was a smart move by Canon.  Now before you start to get your defenses up, let me state my 2 cents... There are 2 things i have heard (not agreed with, but read on this site and DPR) is that they contastly want comparisons, such as the 7D vs the D300 nokin, 50D vs the D90, etc... since the 50D wasn't directly aimed at the D90 or D300, I can count numerous comparisons, complaints, etc.... Secondly, the 2nd biggest gripe I read over the years with the X0D series, especially in the last few models when this turned more into a prosumer and consumer based camera, "It's too heavy/uncomfortable/awkward/CF cards are too expensive compared to SD, etc..."... well guess what guys... all your complaints HAVE BEEN HEARD... (Minus the sensor) issue... You complained, they listened... they aimed this squarely at the D90 just like they did with the 7D and the D300 and made is lighter, more compact, SD friendly, and threw in a swivel screen for shits and giggles.  Seriously they're screwed if they do and screwed if they dont.  Now while, it's slighly a let down from what we're expecting... it's what people griped for, it's what they delivered.  It is a shame continuous FPS dropped, the body degraded slightly, and seriously, no Micro AF?!?  But then again as in photography, as most pro's no the quality of the pictures are the lenses and if you had it in your budget for $1000 for a body and cant squeeze out another couple hundred for a 7D which may have more features than you need or want, but is one superior camera in it's own right, then you get what you pay for.  Buy some lenses, be happy they replaced many lenses today and brought some new ones into the line up like that fisheye and the 70-300 L which sounds interesting if it's up to par optically with the 70-200L's... and take pictures...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

ELK

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
We really don't notice obvious things just because we hoped to have much different 60D!
Let's look at the prices.
At this moment on usa.canon.com 50D and 60 are set to equal Estimated Retail Price: $1,099.00 for body only.

This price corresponds to Canon's 60D announcement.
The kit version of 60D with 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is $1,399.00.

I found a 50D annoucement by Canon, which says "the Canon EOS 50D will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated selling price of $1400. It will additionally be offered in a kit version with Canon's EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens at an estimated selling price of $1600." Here it is: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/9704.html
Thanks to pricewatch http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/02665/Canon-EOS-50D-price.html we have the full story.
The announced $1400 was too abstract and held only month or two then it was around $1100-1200 first year. After 2 years it lost another $200.

The game changer for Canon was 7D - an attempt of direct competition to Nikon DXXX series. Before 7D Canon's top APS-C models was XXD, which had one main idea - "to be right between Nikon DXX and DXXX, to avoid direct competition and have more free space for prices, feature set, upgrade schedules design, marketing and all". Canon deliberately killed XXD idea and complicated their own life, so we can't expect a 7D-like XXD series anymore. Pity.
Now Canon designs Rebel-like XXD series. Otherwise XXD will become both too expensive (again compare announcements prices).

What is most interesting is that Nikon seems to take old Canon XXD place with the D7000 (if it's expected feature set comes true and if it's not a D300s successor).
An agreement between Nikon and Canon?

Daviii

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
Yeah go buy a nikon D90 which is essentially the same plastic body but with much worse specification. Quite clever.

Many people here is overreacting. This is a very nice camera, way better than 50D in almost any aspect besides burst rate and skeleton, and an absolute seller this christmas.

Not everyone wants a kilogram camera like a tank (7D), nor needs it. 60D is specced right where most DSLR advanced amateurs want to be (Including me), and that's what matters for sales, not the very few 1D owners who hate plastic.

Please people, NOBODY CARES about magnesium in shell construction. In engadget is NOT EVEN MENTIONED. The same way people doesn't even know there's a difference between pentaprism and pentamirror (Pentawhat?)

60D is going to sell like hotcakes, and everybody here will be surprisingly surprised.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »

that1guy

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
I think they probably should have done away w/ the XXD name.  Then expectations would have been different.  I just look at it as a Rebel upgrade, and I'm not dissapointed because it is a rebel upgrade (flipscreen, larger body, top LCD, better AF)...as I have said before, if I had a Rebel, that would be enough for me to pay a bit more. 

I do see where some of you waiting for a true 50D successor might be upset though.

Sorry for those of you in Europe, sounds like the pricing thing is rediculous.  In the US it at least makes a bit more sense (pricing wise).  $300 over T2i and $400 under 7D.

And could someone please post a link to the rumored Nikon D7000?  I'm curious on the specs.  Thanks :)

Thomas OMalley

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »
I am incredible disappointed. Actually my disappointment is huge.

I sold my EOS 20D in April 1½ ago to acquire a DSLR camera with high burst still picture and
HD Video Autofocus features.

When you released the EOS 7D, I had clearly expected HD Video with Autofocus.
Ok ok, then I’ll wait for the “real” EOS 60D, because naturally it will have HD Video with Autofocus.

But now I experience that the Canon EOS 60D do not has HD Video with Autofocus ! !

And then the EOS 60D only have 5,3 fps. The 40D and 50D have 6,5 and 6,3 fps.

What did go wrong?

We must go back to the EOS 20D to find 5 fps.

Why go the wrong way?

Don’t you read specs on your competitors products.
Try and look at Panasonic, Sony and Nikon.

Dam Canon, you can do better than that !

Some of my friends are asking me for advice of what kind and brand of camera to buy.
And many of my colleagues are asking me for advice of what kind and brand of camera to buy.

Now I honestly rather will recommend a Nikon or Sony !

A friend told me that Nikon has gain ground on Canon.

If it is true, I now understand why.

Canon this will cost to Nilon

kawasakiguy37

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
As a Nikon guy, these comments really make me laugh. Number 1, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ALL SO OBSESSED WITH AF IN VIDEO? Obviously this means you come from a photography background and do not understand that 99 percent of the time WITH VIDEO you want to use MF.  Even a good AF would only be good for tracking fast moving subjects. Get better at follow focus, its one of the things that separates video from photography.....

gkreis

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
Microadjustment is pretty useless and will do more harm than good. So I can understand why they removed it.
Then why is it in the higher priced models?  Are you predicting it will be removed from all future Canon models?

Does anyone know if the focus tuning that Canon does when you send in a lens and body (say a 40D) is essentially the same thing as micro focus adjustment in the 7D, 50D, etc.?  If it is essentially the same then it is NOT useless.  I am amazed at what they tuning of my lenses with my 40D.  It went from I didn't want to take pictures to me marveling at their sharpness.

ELK

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
Microadjustment is pretty useless and will do more harm than good. So I can understand why they removed it.
Then why is it in the higher priced models?  Are you predicting it will be removed from all future Canon models?

Does anyone know if the focus tuning that Canon does when you send in a lens and body (say a 40D) is essentially the same thing as micro focus adjustment in the 7D, 50D, etc.?  If it is essentially the same then it is NOT useless.  I am amazed at what they tuning of my lenses with my 40D.  It went from I didn't want to take pictures to me marveling at their sharpness.

O dear! Why bother reading useless comments and moreover answering those? Of course microadjustment is useless because...hmmm... just because I have a tremendous need just to say something!!!!

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
somehow I think that the release of the 60D will sell a lot of 7Ds...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »

gkreis

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
even the 50D has micro adjustment! this is why i want to upgrade my 40d and of course for a better LCD. but with these specs, im better off with my 40d and save a lot of money.

i dont know with canon but aren't you suppose to upgrade a model and not degrade it???
magnesium to plastic
6+fps to 5+ fps
microadjustment to NONE

oh yeah lets not forget the latest innovation in DSLR technology, the built in post processing sh*t. whats next? maybe embed DPP? congratulations canon this is really something! and canon was the 1st to achieve it!

+++++1

These are my feelings exactly, though I was ready to live with plastic.  But when I saw no microadjustment my heart sank. Sad...  I could have lived with slower frame rate.

Maybe I will look for a 7D rebate...  I don't know....  oiy.....  I was so hoping this camera was going to be a no-brainer purchase...

unruled

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
Hi,

Just to put in my thoughts on the matter, first post and all. :)

I'm in the market for a new camera and was looking at the 50D when I read the rumors about the 60D coming about. Knowing the price would be much higher then the 50D at the present time it would need to be a BIG improvement.

Looking at the price € 1,149 as preferred selling price (will drop about a 100 in the store I guess) it's only 100 to 200 euro's less then a 7D over here in Holland (126 So if I had to make a decision between those I would go for the extra euros and get myself an  7D. But seeing that I need pre sets on9 euro). the dial because my GF wants to use the cam as well the 7D is not an option even if I had the money.

Not needing video I find the 50D overall a better choice if you look at the price/feature ratio, a 50D sells for about 679 euro at the moment.

So my mind is made up, thanks Canon for helping me out. :) I'll get that 50D body with a nice lens on it and wait another 3 to 4 years to see what you come with. Or sooner, who knows?

Michel

About the presets, the 7d still has the [green=full auto] [P=program] mode and [CA=creative auto] modes. Trust me that those would suffice for her. I've never ventured into the presets as I find they don't do anything special whatsoever. Personally I'd say set it to full auto or program mode with auto iso, done.

That said, the 50d is a great cam and maybe you can even get it a little cheaper now that the 60d will be coming out. I myself have the 40d and love it.
(ook nederlander btw :p)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »