July 30, 2014, 09:10:56 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces EOS 60D  (Read 60330 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces EOS 60D
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »

CF isn't dead yet, check-out the press release from CFA on the new CF5.0 spec.  http://www.compactflash.org/pr/100222cf5prs.pdf

It may not be dead, but the CF5.0 ("CFast") will require completely new cards, cameras and readers.  They are not interchangeable.   The switch to CF5.0 is no different from the switch to SD from the standpoint of new equipment requirements.

Ah, that I didn't notice! Excellent! CFast/CF5.0 is going to make a lot of CF camera users happy :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »

joey12345

Whiny cry babies
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
If you don't like the new camera don't buy it. Jeez people, get a life. There are plenty of other cameras to choose from if you have some problem with plastic, or lack of this or that. Quit whining and complaining.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »

What do I need a camera to do? Focus a lens, open its shutter and capture light.

I started shooting with a Nikon F back in the day when it was a current model. And I've been using an incident meter since the 1970s. I don't need a stinkin' histogram or a screen for chimping. But most people do, so I don't complain.

I too used to worry about the features of Canon vs Nikon but then I realised what I wanted the camera to do and that the easier it made it for me to do the basics, the easier it was for me. Canon might not have had (or still not have) as many features, but if pro's are willing to pay $10k+ for cameras that do movements and three times that just for a back but don't have all of these fancy features like 51 AF points, etc, then how important are "features"?

I've shot medium format starting in the late 1960s. I have a 4x5 Toyo technical camera that doesn't have even one focusing point, but I have no trouble focusing it using a loupe.

But I'm sure most spots shooter wouldn't like to go back to one focusing point. BTW in case you haven't noticed some of the people that shoot team sports use 40D/50D. Not everyone has a 1D or D3.

Sooner or later CF cards will no longer be supported in high end digital cameras as they all move to support CFast:
http://www.compactflash.org/080414_evolution_of_the_compactflash_interface.pdf

... so don't get too attached to those CF cards.

Phase One and Hasselblad have both released Medium Format Digital Cameras this year that use CF cards. They may know more about high end cameras than you do.

Have a nice day.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Golly, this kinda takes back to the days where the rule of thumb was to buy lenses 2x the cost of the camera because "it was the lens that created the image and the body was a universal capture device". That was also when you were limited on film or now thought as the sensor and now cameras have turned into computers with a lens mount attached... People got essentially what they always complained about with this series and to be honest 10d-20d-40d aren't really "upgrades" as much as it's just advancing technology... Upgrades in canon's minds and Nikons and every other manufacturer would be from a rebel to a 50d (or 60d) then 7d or 5d then 1d... That's the crutch of the customer upgrades they want, that's what they seek... Once you move up so far it gets harder to jump ship when you've invested so much... That's why they have cps (canon professional services). To keep the upgraders and the true professional customer base happy... Because that's where their profits come from.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2010, 02:33:47 AM »
Sooner or later CF cards will no longer be supported in high end digital cameras as they all move to support CFast:
http://www.compactflash.org/080414_evolution_of_the_compactflash_interface.pdf

... so don't get too attached to those CF cards.

Phase One and Hasselblad have both released Medium Format Digital Cameras this year that use CF cards. They may know more about high end cameras than you do.

Have a nice day.

It's not a question about high end cameras, they have to make cameras for which you can buy storage for.

CFast (CF5.0) is not yet commonly available but when it is, I'm sure all of the high end manufacturers will jump. But this might be a chicken-egg scenario.

The problem is that we're nearing the limit of CF performance.

SanDisk's fastest CF device is 90MB/s for $340 card that holds 16GB. That was announced almost a year ago. If you're using a P65 back with 60MP images, you're writing less than 2 frames per second to the fastest CF cards. Their next sensor is likely to be 80+MP.

The theoretical maximum for CF is 133MB/s.

The first CFast devices made by Pretec were 160MB/s.

The theoretical maximum for CFast is 375MB/s.

Thomas OMalley

« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2010, 08:52:39 AM »
I am very disappointed over Canon. Why must they lie behind Nikon (always).
I had expected HD Video with Autofocus!
And I have situations where I need video with at nice piece of glass in front.
Why make af Tilt and swivel screen, when you don't have a decent Live View and don't have OLED 1MP screen (can’t se af thing I sunshine with LCD)?
Now the 60D is a plastic toy camera, I must wait for the next 7D.
Here is a list over what the 7D mrk II should be like :

Must have
More sensitive CMOS not more pixels (better ISO)
ISO  50 – 25600
DIGIC 5 (perhaps two of them)
HD Video mode with 30fps with Live Autofocus
A decent Live View with perfect autofocus
Continuous shooting  9 fps
Water resistant (Weather sealing) still
Magnesium body still

Nice to have
A focusing screen departed in to 9 squares (Rules of Thirds) (at least as sparepart!!)
More than 9 AF points
Both SD and CF cards (rather than smaller and/or lighter camera)
Wireless File Transfer

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
Golly, this kinda takes back to the days where the rule of thumb was to buy lenses 2x the cost of the camera because "it was the lens that created the image and the body was a universal capture device". That was also when you were limited on film or now thought as the sensor and now cameras have turned into computers with a lens mount attached... People got essentially what they always complained about with this series and to be honest 10d-20d-40d aren't really "upgrades" as much as it's just advancing technology... Upgrades in canon's minds and Nikons and every other manufacturer would be from a rebel to a 50d (or 60d) then 7d or 5d then 1d... That's the crutch of the customer upgrades they want, that's what they seek... Once you move up so far it gets harder to jump ship when you've invested so much... That's why they have cps (canon professional services). To keep the upgraders and the true professional customer base happy... Because that's where their profits come from.
Yep, i was all but ready to jump from my rebel 400D to the 60D, but whilst its a spec jump its nothing more than the 3rd re-packaging of the 7D/550D - so i'm now not an upgrader. But am very interested in the reviews on the Sony α55 with 10fps &  full time AF movie
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »

unexposure

« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
The theoretical maximum for CF is 133MB/s.

The first CFast devices made by Pretec were 160MB/s.

The theoretical maximum for CFast is 375MB/s.
Definded Spec for SDHC/SDXC is 106MB/s max which is pretty compareable to actual CF. The difference is: SDHC/XC are pretty wide spread and loads of notebooks/netbooks that were build in the last year already have readers for those.

But the Point for 60D having SD instead of CF is Eye-Fi. This feature is, at a closer look, the most impressive step canon took. They kill the need of buying an expensive wft and indirectly include Geotagging by just giving the User access to use Eye-Fi-Cards. So you can choose to buy a wft-grip for about 500$ or buy a battery-grip for 200$+150$ for an eye-fi pro.
In my opinion this gives 60D a (or even two) feature(s), 7D is missing: Cheapo-wft and Memorycard and Battery-Grip together for about two thirds of the original-wft solution. (without having the need of a battery-grip at all to use this feature). And another 100$ savings when using the geotagging-feature.

Comparing the prices of 60D and 7D considering these aspects, gives another 250$ savings by buying the 60D.

Neuron

« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »
Anyone notice that since the release of the 60D, 7D prices have gone up? Before the release I could find a 7D in pretty much any store for 1699 or 1650, now it's no less than 1750.

Edwin Herdman

« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2010, 02:19:58 AM »
Most of my second post on the microadjustment thread is probably more relevant here, so here's a link.

When I first saw the 60D specs, it's true that I also felt a bit of shock:  Even though I wanted to be smug about how poorly some people were reacting, I felt somewhat the same way.  But I guess that's what happens when you take a well-respected line (the x0 line) and essentially gut the expensive bits from the build - like the

To Canon's credit they have positioned the model pretty well on price; it's fair to think of it as letting more people in the door over the $200 more at launch the 50D went for.  However, you now have to pay $600 more to get back to roughly where the 50D was (plus video features which are not adding price onto the new cameras as the T1i / T2i are the basic models demonstrate).

mivaho

« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »
Anyone notice that since the release of the 60D, 7D prices have gone up? Before the release I could find a 7D in pretty much any store for 1699 or 1650, now it's no less than 1750.

Yep, seeing something similar with the 50D body it went from Euro 679 a week ago to Euro 695. Not as big a rise but it's going up instead of down. :) Kit price stayed the same though.

Michel

that1guy

« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »

Here you go...Adorama still has for around $1,500: http://www.adorama.com/ICA7D.html

ELK

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Although joystick removal from 60D deserves some criticism and the previews mention that new multi-way controller is not so convenient, but it has one advantage when shooting with grip - it's easily reachable in both portrait and landscape orientation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »

mivaho

« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2010, 08:15:45 AM »
Hi,

60D just arrived in a web store for 1199 Euro (status in back order), 7D sells for just 40 Euro more (1239 Euro) at the same store.
Choices, choices, choices.

Well not for me, just having bought a 50D for half the price.

Michel

unruled

« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »
Hi,

60D just arrived in a web store for 1199 Euro (status in back order), 7D sells for just 40 Euro more (1239 Euro) at the same store.
Choices, choices, choices.

Well not for me, just having bought a 50D for half the price.

Michel

7d 40 euro more? wow. What bad price positioning. :/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »