September 19, 2014, 04:21:35 AM

Author Topic: 5d3 in coma when in video mode  (Read 860 times)

RobPan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
5d3 in coma when in video mode
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
The 53D in video mode sometimes acts strangely. I presumably had pressed the wrong button when the screen image suddenly froze and could not be resuscitated back to life. There was nothing I could do, the camera was in a deep coma so to say. Even shutting off the camera (with the on-off switch) did not help, all I could to was removing the battery.
After the battery was replaced the camera was back to normal again.
Irritatingly, I could not reproduce the problem, though I tried several times. Therefore I do not know which series of key presses induce a coma-like state like this.
Does anyone recognize this problem?  Any solutions  (where is the WRONG button?)? This has happened twice now; I have had the camera for three month, taken just over 1400 pictures and shot 19 videos.

Thanks for your replies!

Kind regards,

RobPan.

canon rumors FORUM

5d3 in coma when in video mode
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5d3 in coma when in video mode
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
Are you using a CF Card or a SD card?  SD cards write very slowly and might cause a freezeup.  CF cards tend to write much faster.  That probably is not your issue, but its at least one thing to eliminate.  BTW, even a SDHC card rated at 95 MB/sec can write at less than 10MB/sec, so don't get fooled by specs that quote read speeds, or write speeds for blank cards, which only happen with a new card, or with one that was erased (low level format).

RobPan

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
I have a Sandisk Ultra CF card, 16 MB, 30MB/s. That is a lot faster than I can write myself, but perhaps very slow for a modern CF card (I far know too little about memory cards).
Can slow CF cards cause problems?

Kind regards,

RobPan

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »