September 17, 2014, 12:07:31 AM

Author Topic: Emergency wedding, of sorts.  (Read 14227 times)

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency wedding, of sorts.
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
I think there are a lot of poor and somewhat fair photographers out there working as "professional photographers" because they have a website and price list.  The number of skilled, experienced and talented photographers out there is a much smaller percentage.  Notice I didn't include the word professional the secont time.  IMHO, the word professional only indicates the fact that the photographer charges for their services and hopefully can pull off the job to the clients' satisfaction.  The word professional in no way vouches for the quality of the work.  Today's great (or not so great) professional is merely yesterday's up and coming amateur.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

It's all about the individual.  For example, there are many "photo moms" out there that are "professionals" because they do photography as a part time side business and it helps pay for their gear.  This is how a lot of professionals start out.  It's only after a lot of time and work has been performed that the photographer gets better in all aspects, be it working with subjects, scheduling, billing, delivery of images, whatever.  Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get.  And you only improve at what you do.  If one never ventures outside their comfort zone, they don't grow much, they just improve in that niche they are in.

Like most things, you get what you pay for and mediocre photographers won't get away with charging what highly respected and reputable photographers with a following can charge.  (For good reason.)  It's up to the buyer to be diligent and look at the past work and references of any provider of services.  I look at the wedding pictures we have from our wedding in '95 and I'm blown away.  And of course they shot with film then.  Mostly medium format.  At this point in my photography experience and with the great gear I currently own, I think I *might* be able to duplicate maybe half the shots if I was really lucky.

There is no replacing skill, talent and experience but it can be earned and the photographer doesn't have to be paid to earn/learn it.  So with that said, IMO the only thing that matters is the work.  Some non-pros will easily shoot circles around some pros and vice versa.  And I think Wedding Photography is perhaps the hardest and most demanding photography out there.  It's essentially journalistic photography in all the hardest situations but with a demand of top studio level excellence and quality.  My hat is off to all good and great wedding photographers.  All others have my sympathy.

truer words have rarely ever been said...especially on an internet forum. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
Wow.  Thanks guys.  I appreciate the kind words.  I'm glad I can contribute to many of the other great posts I've read here.  It's my pleasure.

This is likely the longest I've ever kept up posting to an Internet Forum.  In most cases, I would have long ago tired of all the drama and emotional ego driven drivel many other forum threads inevitably sink to.  This forum has fairly consistently kept up a good reputation and the occasional rant or two is just a simple change of pace.

And FWIW, I can't wait to hear how the OP's adventure turns out.  I think it will turn out fine, esp if plenty of practice and planning is done ahead of time.  As another post points out, depending on the individual, jumping in the deep end sometimes generates an epiphany of sorts and we may see some amazing images.  Photography is so subjective and the OP may have untapped natural talent that is capable of overshadowing the lack of experience.

And now that there is more time to prepare, perhaps the OP can assist another exp wedding photographer to get a better idea of what works as a starting point.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
Youre welcome rusty. I think the op will do fine. I am by no means a pro, but as the guy in the group with the "big" camera I'm put in this situation often whether it is friends, co workers, etc. I'm generally very happy to do it especially since folks who are turning to me are generally looking to spend less than $1000 for a photographer for their big day. Seeing the results of that kind of a budget I know I will no only care more than another photographer and will try my best. do I miss things, yes, but I put the time and effort into it to make it a good day for them. Expectations are set low, i inform them id much rather enjoy the day with them, but i also don't want them hiring a hack who doesn't care.  all I ask of the couple is to cover my backup gear rental fees and a nice bottle of wine.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:55:24 PM by robbymack »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »