April 18, 2014, 03:58:17 PM

Author Topic: Thinking of downgrading my 5d3 system  (Read 22707 times)

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of downgrading my 5d3 system
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
I know what you mean about being too much to carry around when on vacation or even just walking around.  I think people who carry big cameras and lenses when they are trying to enjoy a vacation are either crazy or way more manly than I am!  LOL
I don't think people who carry their "big camera & lenses are crazy" and am not sure if they are "more manly or not" ;D ... but I think they might be more passionate about photography than most others. I just returned from a 16 days vacation in December and throughout that period I carried my 5D MK III with 24-105, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and a 600EX-RT speedlite  ... I strapped on the "Lowepro Street & Field Series Modular Carrying system" around my waist, which allowed equal distribution of weight around my body, with almost no fatigue from carrying lenses and it also kept both my hands free.
No need to sell the 5D3.  Your Mark 3 will still be a great camera in five years that will do anything you need.  I suspect that you will regain your interest in high level photography eventually and you will wish you still had your Mark 3.

I agree
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »
I think a 200g difference is a make or break amount

I'd speculate that a lot more people want/would like a lighter camera bodies, amateurs as well as pros that shoot for hours and hours.

It has hasn't been legit to ask for it because just as the 70-200ii the "the" lens to get of course everyone wants a sturdy, full-metal body that is build like a 1d tank - or you probably needed your head checked. But now that Canon has released the 6d suddenly there are lots of people around who very much like the idea (though not the specs) of the 6d.

Disclaimer: its-just-fine-people-buy-expensive-heavy-gear-for-amateur-purposes-but-ymmv

rj79in

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:12 AM »
You may need to consider whether by downgrading, will you actually be shooting more pics?

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 03:12:13 AM »
If it were me, I'd sell the lenses, and get a 24-105 for travel and some primes that'll spark your photography interest; get the 35mm 1.4! Don't sell the body, you won't recoup much money from it. Even a 5d + 35mm setup would be great for all purpose and not too heavy to lug around. Blackrapid + general purpose kit = win.

+1,

I travel with a gripless 5DMkII and 24-105L. The weather sealing has proven its worth on several occasions in India (dust, rain, sweat).

Depending on the destination I usually also take a small fast prime (50mm f/1.8 mkI), light weight wide (17-40L) and a Tamron 70-300 just for the occasional tele-shot. I'm an available light shooter so I never bring a flash, high iso's and wide apertures do the job for me.

I initially bought the 24-105 as a vacation lens only, but as I took it out a few times to get a feel for it I found that it's on my camera body way more than my 24-70L. The 24-105 is sharper and the colors have more 'pop'.

When the light gets dim I prefer to switch over to my Sigma 50 mm f/1.4.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:15:26 AM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, Sony NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: Ʃ19mm f/2.8 EX DN, Ʃ30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 OSS, 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes.

vlim

• EOS M2
  • www.eco-tico-explorer.com
    • View Profile
    • Eco Tico Explorer
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:45 AM »
keep your 5D mark III and go light with so good F/4 lenses  ; the 24-70 f/4 L IS should be a very good one and the ultra light  70-200 f/4 L IS is a great one !

rj79in

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:58 AM »
Considering you are into candids, you can also sell the 70-200 2.8 II and buy the 135L which is a very good portrait lens (I'm planning on getting one myself having used it in the past few days).

If you really need the zoom, I suggest you sell the f/2.8 and get a f/4 (IS or without IS) and comfortably shave off the extra 800 gms or so.

5D2-shooter

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
I’ve owned various EOS models for years and have been using a 5D2 for a while so I can sympathise about weight and bulk.

For  me the obvious recommendation is to get rid of the 70-200L f2.8. These lenses may be great optically but they are ridiculously heavy and bulky. Who wants to walk around on a family holiday, for example, looking like a paparazzi ?   Keep the 5D3 and the other zoom for now. You'll lose too much money if you sell them and the difference compared to a 6D is not worth the trouble. Maybe buy one of the cheaper primes. Buy a Micro 4/3 camera. With CES here and various new models coming out, the old ones will be discontinued and go on sale. Wait for a bargain opportunity and splash out. Last year I bought a new Panasonic GF3 with kit lens for the equivalent of US $300 during a closeout and love it. The image quality is not the same as the 5D3 but it’s almost as good as a 5D. What are you going to do with your images anyway ? M4/3 cameras will produce great 12 by 8 inch prints. If you really need a 36 by 24 inch print get the 5D3 out and buy the 40mm f2.8 or the 100mm f2. The important thing is that because something like the GF3  is so small and light you can have it with you most of the time and you don’t look like a completely twit when you’re walking round a tourist location.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »

fugu82

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »
Consider keeping what you have, and getting a travel camera for casual use and unexpected opportunities. I carry a Fuji X10 in my purse, and it is awesome - small, discrete, cool/retro, and very versatile. For serious photo trips, I drag out the 5D3 with all its inevitable baggage.

criza

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Mmm,…this is a great thread that most likely many of us can relate.  I myself have purchased professional level gear over the past year,….makes me sit back and think if this is practical….but we all enjoy our profession/hobby.  Just my 2 cents,…my opinion,….sell everything except the 5D III.  Keep the 5D III, it’s a great camera and will serve you well for many years.  Next, save the cash and get a 50 f 1.4 and use this exclusively for maybe 6-12 months just as a photography exercise.  Re-evaluate in year and see what direction to go….

+1
I like this as well. Instead of the 50 f/1.4 you could also try the new Sigma 35mm 1.4, if you like it a bit wider!

2trout

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Images In Digital
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »
as has been said before, keep the gear, unless you really need the money, and buy a small point and shoot, there are so many really good models out there now.
We all go through phases with our hobbies, one day we're right into it, the next we don't care either way. Chances are, once you've sold all your gear, there'll come a day when you may really regret that!
5D MKII, 1DS MKII, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 f2.8L Macro, 17-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L, 40 f2.8, 530EX II, Benro c/f tri and mono pods, Manfrotto heads,

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
Keep it up guys, then we'll have another one of those cool geometric quote posts that looks like Bingham Copper mine.

LOL!!  I was thinking the same thing!  Love it!   ;D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »
FWIW, I think all of us question our own sanity from time to time after we think about our photography addiction and expenditures.  As for me, if I didn't shoot tons of stuff for scouts, school and church, I would probably shed a lot of gear.  For me, I feel relevant and necessary when I shoot to benefit others.  If it is just for me, that's fine for a while but I'm not a pro and if I don't have steady "jobs" to help me justify all the expenditures and equipment, I'll start to feel a little silly having all this stuff and just shooting family candids and other stuff for myself.

So I suggest the OP first consider how he can put everything to use and in perspective before he sells.  Can he become more motivated and inspired by shooting for friends, charity, volunteer, etc.  It will be challenging and rewarding.  It will add another layer of purpose to your hobby and you'll be appreciated.

Just a thought...
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

StepBack

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
KCCFamilyMan I'd sleep on it. Before u return anything of the quality u bgt consider what u'd get in return. The AF sys on the 5D3 is worth the dough. The 6D has been reviewed and the best idea I read was for a studio shooter to use it as a backup or a photojournalist to use it as a less expensive backup. The AF tracking if it's as good as advertised is awesome if u have the need.  I don't think family shoots require tracking but if they're teens involved who play sports it would be good. A one cross type focus pt system to me for a full frame is really cheap. I can't use any other word. Not the two grand. But for Canon to try and bait people with that is beyond me. But that's business. Anyway all the good ideas have been mentioned so I'll add something about competitor systems which might allow u to compare what u have already and than rethink what u think u'll get with a trade. In any event don't act impulsively unless u really hate the dang. And believe me there are a lot of amateurs who would pry it out of your hands but unfortunately for a lot less than u paid. Best of luck

First I'd look at the mirrorless for lighter and still functional sets.
Assuming u don't want a film Rangefinder of which there are some Voigts which cost considerably less than your Canon think about an ILC with some small primes. And finally I think a worthy idea is a fixed focal length DSLR. So look at the Olympus, Sony and Fuji sites to start. And than go to the store. Feel the things around. Read about them. Think it over. do your due diligence. And in the end pick something u want not what the rest of us dream about. Good shooting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »
KCCFamilyMan I'd sleep on it. Before u return anything of the quality u bgt consider what u'd get in return. The AF sys on the 5D3 is worth the dough. The 6D has been reviewed and the best idea I read was for a studio shooter to use it as a backup or a photojournalist to use it as a less expensive backup. The AF tracking if it's as good as advertised is awesome if u have the need.  I don't think family shoots require tracking but if they're teens involved who play sports it would be good. A one cross type focus pt system to me for a full frame is really cheap. I can't use any other word. Not the two grand. But for Canon to try and bait people with that is beyond me. But that's business. Anyway all the good ideas have been mentioned so I'll add something about competitor systems which might allow u to compare what u have already and than rethink what u think u'll get with a trade. In any event don't act impulsively unless u really hate the dang. And believe me there are a lot of amateurs who would pry it out of your hands but unfortunately for a lot less than u paid. Best of luck

First I'd look at the mirrorless for lighter and still functional sets.
Assuming u don't want a film Rangefinder of which there are some Voigts which cost considerably less than your Canon think about an ILC with some small primes. And finally I think a worthy idea is a fixed focal length DSLR. So look at the Olympus, Sony and Fuji sites to start. And than go to the store. Feel the things around. Read about them. Think it over. do your due diligence. And in the end pick something u want not what the rest of us dream about. Good shooting.

Thanks

Thats what I plan on doing waiting a few months getting an ilc and deciding which way to go. Really I was planning on adding a 35mm prime then I said do I need all this money sitting here? I decided in about two months it will start to get warmer and I am sure I will get that itch.
2 x 5d iii, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt

K3nt

• EOS M2
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:18 AM »
Dude! That is one sweet setup you got there. I wouldn't sell at all. You're covered. But I like the idea someone already posted that you should get, maybe an EOS M, or the Fuji or Sony mini's for that easy to carry with you bits, but then you'd have that good kit to fall back on once it is appealing again, because it will be. :)
Downgrading to a 6D and selling your lenses will, in the long run, most likely only do you a loss.

Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:18 AM »