August 30, 2014, 06:13:06 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of downgrading my 5d3 system  (Read 24931 times)

knifez

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of downgrading my 5d3 system
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:47:01 AM »
+1 on a 35mm lens. It was one of the first primes I purchased which got me back into enjoying photography. Before that I used zooms and they lacked the magic of a prime. Maybe changing the zooms for other zooms isn't the solution :-\ But it's a matter or personal choice and style. Good luck with your decision
5D3, 60D, 35L, 85L, 100L, 50 1.4, 11-16, 17-55, 8mm fisheye, + lights & video gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:47:01 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 04:05:17 AM »
A lot of people buy professional gear, but don´t really need it.

If you have a lot of expensive CF cards and want to track subjects, stay with the 5D Mark III.

For private use you don´t need the 600 flash or the EF 70-200 2.8 II. Sell it and get the EF 70-300L if you don´t want to shoot portraits with it.

I highly recommend the EF 24-70 2.8 II. You are more flexible in low light conditions with this lens.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 04:53:38 AM »
I have been considering selling my setup

Interesting and refreshing anti "just get the best" post :-) ... the cf/sd card problem has been mentioned, but I also think that the 70-200is2 is over the top (price, size, weight) for many people and applications (look at your stats how often you needed f2.8 @200mm).

Personally, for the current price difference I'd keep the 24-70ii, except if you want the semi-macro capability that badly - but you can also do large magnifications with the tele zoom. As written above, you might loose some low light capability with the 70-300L, so it might be smart to keep f2.8 @70mm. If you want to replace your expensive standard zoom and save money, rather look at the Tamron.

I wouldn't recommend dumping your large flash, just get an additional one (maybe the 430ex2 replacement) because two real flashes allow for so much more creativity and the larger flash makes a big difference in reach outdoors (more power, 200mm reflector) and recycling time when bouncing. The on-flash menu system is also a big plus since you don't need to wade through the camera's flash menu.

The AF system with 61 af points is enough a reason to never go back to a 9 or 11 point af system
less re-compositing = more pics in focus.

... that is if you're not the focus & recompose type, the op will know. But the main advantage of the 5d3 is that the af is more precise with current lenses than the 6d, no matter how many af points are used.

I don't think you'd really save that much by switching now anyway, the 5D price has dropped quite a bit, while the 6D hasn't.

However, the 6d won't drop as much as the 5d3 because a) it isn't as overpriced to begin with and b) it is simply cheaper in absolute terms, so personally I plan to buy a 6d after the early adopters fee has been cut.

MintMark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 04:55:59 AM »
Nobody else has suggested it yet... how about the 40mm pancake lens?

It's cheap, sharp and changes any DSLR into something more portable.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:49 AM »
I think what you haven't mentioned, which has a lot of implications, is when you bought all that kit, what did you intend to do with it? What style of photography and where? And why do you feel you are not able to do it? Is it solely the weight?

When I do vacations with family I tend to do sunrise & sunset by myself, and during the day stay with family (while scouting locations for sunset / sunrise).

Before you change anything, I think you need to look at what is preventing you from achieving your original aims with the MK III
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

madmailman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 05:29:16 AM »
My old kit was the 7D with 17-55 and then my wife got me the 5D3 with the 24-105. I also have a G12 as my "point & shoot" for things like dinner parties and other times I don't want to lug the SLR. Well since getting the 5D3 I never want to go back to the 7D af again. I also don't know exactly where my G12 is anymore. The 5D3 with either the 40mm pancake or my nifty fifty is my new point and shoot.

Don't get rid of the 5D3 you will always regret this. Take some of the other advice here, especially with regards to the telephoto end. Get yourself one of the smaller primes, they are not expensive and more versatile than you think.
5D3, 16-35mm f2.8mkii 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 40mm STM, 70-200 f2.8mkii

markhbfindlay

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:32 AM »
I have just upgraded to a 5diii (I already had the 24-105) from 7d, which I sold, but kept my 550d (t2i)  + 15-85 as it's good for going away with, also 60 2.8 macro and 55-250 zoom as these are light and good quality. I also have (boo hiss) a panasonic g3 which great when cycling.  All my L lenses where bought used (and the pany with 14-140 lens). So I have 3 kits. I think you're better off getting a cheaper lightweight kit rather than selling your fabulous 5d3 and lenses, which are unequaled in quality. Any of the lightweight option suggested by others could be good. Have a great time whatever you decide...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:32 AM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:22 AM »
I think what you haven't mentioned, which has a lot of implications, is when you bought all that kit, what did you intend to do with it? What style of photography and where? And why do you feel you are not able to do it? Is it solely the weight?
+1.  This is what I'd like to know too.  Was it just a situation where the OP had a lot of money and just wanted to own a pro camera, or was there a creative objective and the 5D3 was the best tool for the job?
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

christianronnel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »
Classic case of buyer's remorse.  You've already spent the money, just try to be happy with the decision.  I don't wait for something t go on sale nor I'm a professional and can claim all my purchase as business expense.  So I can empathize with you, but what's done is done.  Depending on when you purchased each of the items, you may just end up getting the same amount of money to buy the said "downgrade" gear.

IMO, all the advice here regarding selling the 70-200 and the flash makes sense and you'll be able to get almost the same amount you paid for them.  I agree with you about the 70-200 not being travel friendly.  It's not a lens I would use unless I'm getting paid to get the shots.  I don't feel very creative with it.  After you sold the 70-200, try sitting on your hand before pulling the trigger on 70-300L.  See if you need anything else other than your 24-70. 

Buy one or a couple of $50 Yongnuo 560 to replae the 600RT.  They are manual only but the challenge to think about adding speedlights as your key lights would get you back on the creative process.

I added the EF85mm lens to my system so I don't have to lug the 70-200 around for portrait shoots but I still kept it for the occasional event jobs.  I'm thinking about selling it to get a couple if tele primes like the 135L or the 85L.
Don't take life too seriously; no one makes it out alive anyway

EOS 5D mark III | EOS 7D | EF16-35mm f2.8L II | EF24-70mm f2.8L II | EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II | EF70-300mm f4-5.6L IS | EF40mm f2.8 STM | EF50mm f1.4 | EF85mm f1.8

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:41 AM »
Don't even think about a 6D.  It's just as heavy.

Sell all your stuff.  Get a T4i, 15-85 IS and 100/2 or 100/2.8 IS.

Simplify.  Enjoy the lightweight and great IQ.

nismohks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
keep the 5d3 and keep the 24-70II

however, downgrade the 70-200 2.8 IS II to the 70-200 4IS to save a significant amount of weight and the 1 stop difference is often easily afforded by the 5d3 with an ISO bump and/or noise reduction in post. this is precisely why i havent gotten the 70-200 2.8 IS II as i go overseas a bit and dont want to lug heavy gear around. my 70-200 4IS does the job perfectly whilst remaining relatively discrete and in a very manageable packaging and is still weather proof

600 you can also change for a used 430 if you dont need the power, or a yongnuo ttl flash if you wanna save on cash but dont mind the size.

40 pancake with the 5d3 is actually a pretty powerful combo for street shooting and are really quite cheap now. if you can find a used one, then even better and if you dont like it, you can sell it for as much as you paid used for it too :)

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Keep it all.  In my opinion, photography is purpose built.  Meaning I use the gear I need to for the shots I'm taking.  For example, if I'm shooting wildlife, I prefer the long lens and the 5DIII.  For skiing, I use a pocket camera, mainly a panasonic.  Sometimes my macro gear sits in the bag for a year but I'm glad I have it when spring comes around.

So my point is, as soon as you unload your gear, you will certainly find yourself missing that equipment.  I wouldnt sell, trade in, just because you find yourself too busy at this time to make good use of it.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
I've thought the same as you periodically*. Usually it's a sign that I haven't been shooting. I mean, what happens is I take the gear out and shoot, have a wonderful time, then forget about it until the next time I neglect the photography.

Something I've done to alleviate the problem is to have a couple of side setups, so I have a S100 and a Fuji X100. I don't like having this much gear, I'd much prefer having one setup, but this way I've got a setup for every circumstance, with the benefit that while the big DSLR doesn't get out all the time, at least I'm cycling through my gear and keeping it going.

* Ironically enough I consider going on this board and asking the same question!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
The mk3 is not the problem, the problem is those heavy 2.8 zooms which the 70-200L weights about 4LBs.

That's one reason I've come to love small, light primes. 24L + 50 1.4 + 135L are fantastic to carry. If you want mobility and lens speed, try some small primes.

EvilTed

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
The 24L II is almost as heavy as the 24-70 II :(
I have sold all my primes because most of them are not as sharp or focus as accurately as either the 24-70II or the 70-200II (I have both).
As I recommended, keep everything and maybe invest in a good tripod system and use the MK3 primarily with this.

As FunPhotons said (and I'll reiterate), maybe it's just the big DSLR thing that bugs you (I know it bugs me).
I have a 40mm pancake, but I still don't think that a DSLR is much fun to lug around the streets.

A Fuji will slow you down, change the way you take photographs and inspire creativity in ways only old film cameras and Leica's can.
You can get the XE-1 with the 28-85mm IS lens for $1400, which is about the price of a prime lens.
FWIW, they are also due to announce the successor to the X100 on Monday and it's supposed to include Focus Peaking.

I know I reach for one of my Fuji's 99% of the time and considered selling all my Canon gear, but the money is spent and you will just lose it if you downgrade or add new stuff to it. That will just lead to a cycle of more remorse.
A 6D is not going to be any better than the 5D MK3 in this respect.

Also, the 5D MK3 is good for tracking fast moving subjects and the combination of 24-70II and 70-200II is probably all you need for capturing your growing family.

This is something the Fuji isn't good at.
I have a 19 month old daughter, so I kept my Canon setup for her.

I also think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get images as good (or better) than your 5D MK3 from such a small, cheap package.

Anyway, I've been there recently and my advice is don't sell it and don't add to it.
Just try a different approach to your photography and see what happens.

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »