December 20, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Author Topic: Black Rapid and dropped camera?  (Read 20325 times)

LDS

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Black Rapid and dropped camera?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
The Sunsniper has a strap with a metal cable incorporated to deter theft.

BR has an optional accessory, the ProtectR, to add a metal cable protection to the strap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »
I used BR4 for about 3 years with gripped 40D, then gripped 5DII and recently gripped 5DIII with 24-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 with not a problem.
To make the issue of the carabiner that may work loose, I switched out the BR hardware with a bearing/rubber gasketed one from Sunsniper.  This is really a no worry solution.  I now find that the BR strap twirling about that is annoying.
Still, BR and Sunsniper combonation is excellent.
-r

epb729

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »
Take a look at CarrySpeed, I have one and it allows for two point connection (camera and lens collar) for larger lenses as well as an
arca swiss mounting plate with a folding connection which allows my camera to sit flat. I have a gripped 7D with a 70-200 2.8 IS and
have 100% confidence in the entire system. I use the FS-PRO system and find it to be incredibly comfortable especially over long periods.
They claim to be the most advanced sling system in the world and I'm inclined to agree! Too many great features to list, check them out
at carryspeed.com. I've never used a BlackRapid but I did a ton of research on straps and even got in touch with Tim Xu at CarrySpeed
who sent me one before the FS-Pro was available to the public!

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
The black rapid strap is super strong as are all it's joints. The weakness is that it can slip over your shoulder, I've had that happen, it didn't fall on the floor hard, just slid down, but I like the strap very loose and that's what you get. If you're worried, get the optional version that attatches at two points and you will never have a problem.

Personally I'm a much much bigger fan of the optech system, but that would probably be even more of a liability. The shoulder pad has more grip though on the optech strap.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »
Something else to consider is the SpiderPro Holster.  I avoided it for a long time, because of their proprietary plate that precluded use of an Arca-Swiss type plate, but they recently came out with an AS-clamp so I can use the system with existing lens/camera plates, and also easily switch from that to Blackrapid.  Been using it for a few weeks now, it's quite nice for loads up to a 1-series + 70-200/2.8.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
I have been using the Black Rapid 7 strap with my 5D3 + 100-400L. No problem at all.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »
The failures that I have read about relate to failure of the tripod socket itself on the camera body.  I have no idea how the tripod socket is attached inside the camera body?  It may vary by manufacturer and some may be more prone to failure than others.  I won't risk that. I have a BR strap; however, I only use it on a lens plate, never attached to the camera body.

That must have been a Sony :)  I've never heard that one. I suppose you could take it to the next level and start worrying about your lens mount...

That was me...the thread on my 5D grip just popped straight out when I over tightened a http://www.spiderholster.com/single-camera-system.html SpiderPro  plate onto it. Their instruction video says to tighten up "very tight". I'm not Mr Muscles but did give it my best. With a heavier lens with a collar I'd be screwing into the thread on the collar. That said, I am a heavy user of the SpiderPro system and use the dual camera system http://www.spiderholster.com/dual-camera-system.html . I can run with this setup...great for track & field athletics meets! I have a wide on one body, 70-200 on another and the 300 f/2.8is on a monopod.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »
i use a black rapid strap and i constantly check carabiner connection (it does like to work itself loose over the course of a vigorous shooting day) and the primary screw attachment to the base of the camera (it will also start to loosen if the camera is allowed to swing in a rotational manner when hanging on your side)

i haven't personally had my camera drop but there have been several times i checked the connections and they were starting to become very loose...uncomfortably loose. my vigilance over this was only heightened when i watched a colleague of mine using the same strap have her camera jump off her hip and go crashing to the ground. the carabiner had failed (loosened itself) and the camera jumped off the hook.

other than that, i do love the straps BR makes. they take a ton of weight off the shoulders and make a long day of shooting with multiple camera bodies and heavy lenses much more comfortable. they just aren't fool proof. you have to jury rig a fail safe as others have described or be constantly screwing the attachments tighter as they work themselves loose.

i do shoot in very fast paced circumstances though so my experience is probably on the extreme side.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

crasher8

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
I love the BR strap. I use it in combo with a camera plate (Kirk) and a hand strap. When hiking, especially in snow, I have multiple points to hold onto.

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »
 My BR strap saved my neck, when hiking I usually have my 7D w/battery grip and a Sigma 50-500 zoom.  If I hadn't invested in a shoulder sling strap I'm sure I'd be a hunchback by now. 

mortadella

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
JPAZ

You've got absolutely nothing to worry about. 

I have the RS-7 and what I put it through on a trip to Maui was last year would make anybody a believer in its capability. 

I ziplined carrying a gripped 5dmk2 w/100-400, and the only thing between the gear and a few hundred feet free fall was the trusty RS-7.  I had it connected directly to tripod collar nothing fancy.  I figured the best way to go was to keep on my back, so it was completely dangling as I was zipping 30mph across the line.  I will admit that I was terrified, the prospect of not even being able to recover the gear if it fell was weighing on my mind - it did add quite a bit of suspense to the ziplining though.

Couldn't recommend it any higher, great product.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
All,

I know this has been discussed before but could not find specific comments about just how "strong" this strap is.  I am contemplating the Black Rapid 7.

If I have a 5diii + 70-200 or 70-300 hanging from this I am sure it will be more comfortable than a neck strap but I'll be worrying about the camera and lens dropping.  I worry that a single connection to the tripod plate or the swivel / turnbuckle will fail.  I do a lot of travel and almost always have a camera hanging off of me.  I've also looked at the usual alternatives that are analogous, some of which attach to the lug instead of the tripod mount. All of these have an occasional review that describes a catastrophic "camera-lens-go-to-ground" experience.   

Am I overly concerned?  Can anyone relate their experiences (good or bad) with a fairly heavy DSLR/lens setup and these straps?

Thanks in advance.

JP

I've no experience with those but decided against them from the get-go. I'm sure they are a great solution for press photographers carrying multiple bodies and who have their gear paid for or at least all sorts of damage factored in and/or insured.

I personally decided it would be too risky for me. Relying on just one connection, having the camera/lens dangle around upside down and adding additional strain on the already pretty weak connection of my battery grip to 5DII didn't seem like a good idea.
After a longer search and trying out a few things I settled on a Crumpler strap without any clips or hooks etc. Quite happy with it.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

crasher8

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
I had a CarrySpeed and a BR7. The Carryspeed always slipped on my shoulder and I was always readjusting it. The BR just stays put.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »
I am always a bit tense and inadvertently hold the camera with my free hand.

I do not think Black Rapid will fail but this paranoia is my own personality issue.

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
I'm with Jim K. I have the BR7 with my gripped 7D and 100-400, and it works just fine. I had one "moment" early on, but it was user error not sufficiently tightening the Manfrotto RC-2 base (BR makes a replacement thumbscrew for the RC-2 base that lets you leave it on when using the RC-2 base) onto my 100-400. Now, I check that every time.

It's really no different than carrying the lens/camera mounted to a tripod. Someplace in all the thousands of dollars of gear is exactly ONE screw that cost a fraction of all that keeping it all together. Just keep an eye on it...
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »