October 02, 2014, 04:46:16 AM

Author Topic: Black Rapid and dropped camera?  (Read 18504 times)

crasher8

Re: Black Rapid and dropped camera?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
This thread makes me think of one thing for peace of mind…Insurance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
I have used mine for a year now without issue....carrying a 5d3 and 70-200.   Never found it to get loose but i like to check it frequently because I'm not the trusting type....takes two seconds to check the connections to see that it is secure.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
I totally agree.  I have had mine for ~ 2 years, used on several bodies, sometimes for over 15 hours and never a problem.  However, I check a few times a day to be sure.  I tend to be paranoid about the gear, and otherwise ocd.  That said, I have had to tighten the screw a few times. 

sek

I have used mine for a year now without issue....carrying a 5d3 and 70-200.   Never found it to get loose but i like to check it frequently because I'm not the trusting type....takes two seconds to check the connections to see that it is secure.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
Check out this video at about the 1:40 mark.  He adds an optech strap to his BR strap for extra security.

The wide shots of him make him look like he's in bondage or something with all those straps....  Just sayin it looks a bit ridiculous.   ;D

How to use a Black Rapid Strap with a Really Right Stuff bracket by Donald Scarinci.mp4

red5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »
I've been using the BlackRapid DR-1 (Dual strap) since it came out.  No problem at all.  One side is a gripped 5Dc with 24-70L, 580EXII.  Other side is Gripped 5Dc 70-200, 580EXII.  Never had any strap problems with this setup.  Also I think BlackRapid has some sort of money back garauntee for your camera if it breaks because of the strap as long as you buy from them or something.  May have to check, but I thought I remember reading about that.  I would recommend BlackRapid to anyone.

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
I have had the R Sport version for some time now and used it with 5d 111 and 70-200 2.8 without a problem. I find it comfortable to use.
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »
I have had the R Sport version for some time now and used it with 5d 111 and 70-200 2.8 without a problem. I find it comfortable to use.

+1.  I've used it more than a year without a problem or it coming loose in any matter.  I find it very convenient to use.
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »

leftnose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
Check out the Luma Cinch.  I've been using one for almost a year now and I love it.  Two attechment points via standard width webbing.  One end goes into one of the strap lugs, the other end goes into a nut that screws into the tripod socket or any other attachment point.  I use the strap lug on my RRS QR plate or the strap lug on the grip, depending the set-up I'm using.

The fact that it doesn't interfere with the QR plate and that it is quickly adjustable for length means I can keep it around my shoulder even when using a monopod.  That way, if something slips, it's still secured.

The single attachment point of the BR straps has always made me nervous.  I'm very comfortable with the Cinch.  But I had never heard about using a BR with a Kirk QR clamp.  Can someone post a photo of this?  I don't know how it would work with the BR carabiner.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
But I had never heard about using a BR with a Kirk QR clamp.  Can someone post a photo of this?  I don't know how it would work with the BR carabiner.

BR FastenR-3 attached to a Kirk 1" Clamp, connected to a Wimberley P-5 camera plate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

leftnose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »
But I had never heard about using a BR with a Kirk QR clamp.  Can someone post a photo of this?  I don't know how it would work with the BR carabiner.

BR FastenR-3 attached to a Kirk 1" Clamp, connected to a Wimberley P-5 camera plate.

Thanks.  So, basically, unless you loc-tite the BR nut to the QR clamp, you still run a risk of it unscrewing?

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »
The only problem I've had with the BR system is occasionally having the camera come out of the carabiner, but admittedly I didn't screw the lock down on it in those instances. 

Adding the Kirk1 clamp seems like a reasonable idea, but it just seems to be adding another point of possible failure.  I would think the BR screw in post with the rubber ring would stay tighter than a clamp.  Has no one ever had the clamp work its way loose?
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

shining example

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »
I am always a bit tense and inadvertently hold the camera with my free hand.

I do not think Black Rapid will fail but this paranoia is my own personality issue.

I'm the same, though I use a Luma Loop, as I don't trust the tripod socket method of attachment. I only let my camera dangle when I'm changing lenses and find myself short of a third hand with which to rummage in my bag. Walking around, I'd just be too nervous, no matter how much I trust the strap.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
The failures that I have read about relate to failure of the tripod socket itself on the camera body.  I have no idea how the tripod socket is attached inside the camera body?  It may vary by manufacturer and some may be more prone to failure than others.  I won't risk that. I have a BR strap; however, I only use it on a lens plate, never attached to the camera body.

That must have been a Sony :)  I've never heard that one. I suppose you could take it to the next level and start worrying about your lens mount...

That was me...the thread on my 5D grip just popped straight out when I over tightened a http://www.spiderholster.com/single-camera-system.html SpiderPro  plate onto it. Their instruction video says to tighten up "very tight". I'm not Mr Muscles but did give it my best. With a heavier lens with a collar I'd be screwing into the thread on the collar. That said, I am a heavy user of the SpiderPro system and use the dual camera system http://www.spiderholster.com/dual-camera-system.html . I can run with this setup...great for track & field athletics meets! I have a wide on one body, 70-200 on another and the 300 f/2.8is on a monopod.

-PW

That is a bit disconcerting. I have a 7D and a 5Dmkll and had assumed the tripod socket was mechanically connected to the magnesium alloy skeleton :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:36 PM »
I understand what you mean, what I do, is I have a second strap and lug connected to the camera, so if one breaks, they will be saved. This, I have tested (above my bed of course, and should protect your gear, if something like this happens, check the mount just to be safe.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
Thanks.  So, basically, unless you loc-tite the BR nut to the QR clamp, you still run a risk of it unscrewing?

Not sure - if you slightly moisten the rubber compression washer and screw the lug in tight (with the solid aluminum, no risk of overtightening), probably not. But I see no reason to remove it routinely, so why not use Loctite? The Blue 242 type is semi-permanent - it's not going to come loose with normal use, but with a vice and a pair of pliers you can unscrew the lug.

Adding the Kirk1 clamp seems like a reasonable idea, but it just seems to be adding another point of possible failure.  I would think the BR screw in post with the rubber ring would stay tighter than a clamp.  Has no one ever had the clamp work its way loose?

I disagree.  With the Loctite, I wouldn't classify the lug-clamp connection as a failure point, so you're certainly not adding one. Moreover, if you frequently unscrew and reconnect the lug (which you'd do to attach to a tripod, for example), that makes the lug connection a much more likely failure point. There's no rotational stress on the clamp screw, so it won't come unscrewed unless you turn it. Orientation prevents unintentional turning - on a body plate, attach the clamp so the knob is under the lens, on a lens plate, attach it so the knob is away from your body. I've never had the clamps loosen even a smidgen.  So, overall, I'd say the BR lug attached to an AS-type clamp (the Kirk or RRS' new flat-bottom clamp) with Loctite, connected to AS-type body/lens plates, is both more convenient and more secure than directly attaching the lug to a tripod socket.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »