September 22, 2014, 06:52:53 PM

Author Topic: Black Rapid and dropped camera?  (Read 18335 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Black Rapid and dropped camera?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »
I know a poor solution..... the original Canon strap....

Several years ago I was pulling a Rebel T2 up a tower to take some inspection shots of an antenna and the strap disconnected from the camera. It fell 160 feet and landed on a concrete pad.... I was very happy it was a work camera and not mine....

On my camera I have sewed a pair of nylon loops onto the strap mounts.... I just do not trust the toy plastic fittings that so many straps seem to come with.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »

Scarpz13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
does it matter what my tripod connector plate at home is like (granted it's a non-prop $100 type one) that I barely use... or are the clamps usuable with many tripod mounts?

You need a clamp that's compatible with your tripod quick release plate(s).  If that plate is an Arca-Swiss type (which are used with ballheads from Acratech, Arca-Swiss, Kirk, Markins, Really Right Stuff, and Wimberley, among others), then any Arca-Swiss type clamp would work.  In that case, I'd go with the Kirk QRC-1 or the RRS B2-FAB-F.  RRS gear is only available directly through them, Kirk distributes through B&H, Adorama, etc.

What sort of head do you have on your tripod?
[/quote

I have a local camera store brand tripod made by Velbon. It is a copy of a "Sherpa" model tripod. B&H has the plate sold under QB-157. Not sure if that helps I can try and send photos. I am not sure if I should wait until I upgrade to A better tripod either ...
5D MkIII  |  60D  |  EF 17-40 F4L |  EF 24-105 F4L IS  | EF 70-200 F4L IS  | EF 40 f/2.8  |  EF 50 f/1.4 |  EF 85 f/1.8  | 580EX II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
I have a local camera store brand tripod made by Velbon. It is a copy of a "Sherpa" model tripod. B&H has the plate sold under QB-157. Not sure if that helps I can try and send photos. I am not sure if I should wait until I upgrade to A better tripod either ...

That does not appear to be Arca-Swiss compatible.  It might be compatible with Blackrapid's FastenR-T1, which replaces the D-ring in the Manfrotto RC2 plate with a lug capable of supporting the weight.  Might be worth calling BR to ask if they know.

Else, you'll need to unscrew the plate and attach the BR lug, or as you state, get a better tripod (which isn't a bad idea...a cheap tripod can be hard to use and not very stable, meaning it's not used much...).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Scarpz13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »

That does not appear to be Arca-Swiss compatible.  It might be compatible with Blackrapid's FastenR-T1, which replaces the D-ring in the Manfrotto RC2 plate with a lug capable of supporting the weight.  Might be worth calling BR to ask if they know.

Else, you'll need to unscrew the plate and attach the BR lug, or as you state, get a better tripod (which isn't a bad idea...a cheap tripod can be hard to use and not very stable, meaning it's not used much...).

Thanks Neuro. I guess I'll pick up the black rapid for now then start researching tripods; looks like there are a lot of choices there too, in a wide range of price points.
5D MkIII  |  60D  |  EF 17-40 F4L |  EF 24-105 F4L IS  | EF 70-200 F4L IS  | EF 40 f/2.8  |  EF 50 f/1.4 |  EF 85 f/1.8  | 580EX II

Scarpz13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »
Well I took your advice Neuro...  got an area-compatible tripod, kirk clamp, and some loctite...
you mentioned the knob for the kirk clamp should go under the lens I believe... wouldnt that mean my QR plate would have to go sideways?
Please see my set up attached... have I done something wrong?

thanks!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
you mentioned the knob for the kirk clamp should go under the lens I believe... wouldnt that mean my QR plate would have to go sideways?
Please see my set up attached... have I done something wrong?

Just looks like you have a different style of QR plate than the norm (at least, from what I've seen).  Most camera plates are oriented 90° to how yours is oriented.  The key point, IMO, is that the knob doesn't stick out from the back of the camera - that would make it more likely that you'd be rubbing the know against your leg (and also more likely that you'd bang youself in the mouth or chin with it, so I suspect you'd learn to orient it differently pretty fast!).

What kind of plate do you have?  Normally, the dovetail grooves are oriented 'sideways' so that when you clamp onto a tripod, the knob/lever on the tripod head clamp is oriented to the back for easy access, rather than having to reach under the camera.

Scarpz13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Hi Neuro

I have a Giottos ballhead/QR plate
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847619-REG/Giottos_VGR8255_S2N_VGR8255_S2N_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod_Monopod.html

Upon further inspection, perhaps I have it on sideways.... it seemed to fit the shape of the camera better that what, but judging by their other, longer QR plates and L-brackes the grooves are supposed to be on the front&back of camera...

thanks again!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
Upon further inspection, perhaps I have it on sideways.... it seemed to fit the shape of the camera better that what, but judging by their other, longer QR plates and L-brackes the grooves are supposed to be on the front&back of camera...

Perhaps...but with a (basically) square plate, there's not really a right or wrong.  Do whatever works for you!

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »
I took a look at the CarrySpeed system, and their F system seems to be a winner! Seems like they are based here in Houston, so I think I'll swing by and take a closer look. It's Arca-Swiss compatible, I like the ball-head system, no torsion force on the main lug, and you can put in an extra fail-safe strap.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
I've been holding off on a BR because I'd have to get an Arca Swiss clamp on the bottom. As many have said here the system has worked great, but I didn't like having to do that because it seemed a little kludgy. I don't like how there are so many degrees of freedom (the camera could spin hanging like that if you wanted), plus the distance from strap through three metal connectors before you get to camera. Like I say, kludgy.

Anyhow just the other day I found a solution I like, the kirk security strap

So instead of three metal pieces there's only one. Simple and clean, and theoretically less to go wrong (or at least to have to mess with). I like how the clamp is attached to the strap, no swinging in the breeze. Finally it has the neat feature that it can directly be clamped onto an existing system, no need to take it off.

Disclosure, I haven't received it yet but it has all the features I've been looking for.

Edit: Here's the underside and a link, of course if you don't like the strap its easy to modify.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Security_Strap.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:44:29 PM by FunPhotons »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »

I've run across this before. The problem I see with it is that you're giving up the 'rapid' part of the Blackrapid - the fact that the strap stays in place and the hardware slides freely up the strap.  That makes raising the suspended camera to your eye fast and easy, without the strap bunching up or friction of the strap/pad trying (or failing) to slide on your shoulder slowing things down. The way Kirk describes it, it's intended for 'keeping a second camera or lens handy' not for a primary strap for the in-use camera.

If you've ever tried just slinging the Canon neck strap over your shoulder, the Kirk strap seems similar, at least in theory.  I'm interested to hear your impressions when you get it!

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2013, 09:26:03 PM »

I've run across this before. The problem I see with it is that you're giving up the 'rapid' part of the Blackrapid - the fact that the strap stays in place and the hardware slides freely up the strap.  That makes raising the suspended camera to your eye fast and easy, without the strap bunching up or friction of the strap/pad trying (or failing) to slide on your shoulder slowing things down. The way Kirk describes it, it's intended for 'keeping a second camera or lens handy' not for a primary strap for the in-use camera.

If you've ever tried just slinging the Canon neck strap over your shoulder, the Kirk strap seems similar, at least in theory.  I'm interested to hear your impressions when you get it!

Yeah I considered that. Who knows, but I don't think it's an issue. It's not like I'm a gun slinger, needing to get the camera to my eye in .5 seconds! If I was shooting action I for sure won't have the camera hanging off my butt. If I'm not shooting action (most of the time) then I can afford a few seconds to get setup.

I'll surely post a review here when I get it. Slow post from B&H, probably will take a week at least.

Edit: My use case is, for example, hiking. I've got the big LowePro backpack, and there just is no way to have the camera out while your on the trail without simply holding it with that pack. I'm hoping that the strap will afford some carrying ease, plus be ready for landscape shots.

One note, one of the B&H reviewers said "\This can operate quickly as BLACKRAPID strap." Who knows ..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:32:49 PM by FunPhotons »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
My use case is, for example, hiking. I've got the big LowePro backpack, and there just is no way to have the camera out while your on the trail without simply holding it with that pack. I'm hoping that the strap will afford some carrying ease, plus be ready for landscape shots.

I often wear a BR strap in conjunction with a loaded Lowepro Flipside 400 AW while hiking. The BR strap goes against my back, under the pack, but in front the BR strap goes over the backpack shoulder straps, and the camera hangs down just under the pack.  With the BR strap, I can easily slide the camera up the strap like that to grab a shot, but since the camera strap is held in place by the pack, a 'fixed' clamp/strap cannot slide.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
I've been holding off on a BR because I'd have to get an Arca Swiss clamp on the bottom. As many have said here the system has worked great, but I didn't like having to do that because it seemed a little kludgy. I don't like how there are so many degrees of freedom (the camera could spin hanging like that if you wanted), plus the distance from strap through three metal connectors before you get to camera. Like I say, kludgy.

So instead of three metal pieces there's only one. Simple and clean, and theoretically less to go wrong (or at least to have to mess with). I like how the clamp is attached to the strap, no swinging in the breeze. Finally it has the neat feature that it can directly be clamped onto an existing system, no need to take it off.

Disclosure, I haven't received it yet but it has all the features I've been looking for.

Edit: Here's the underside and a link, of course if you don't like the strap its easy to modify.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Security_Strap.html

As I just mentioned, the Carryspeed is a BlackRapid-type strap with an Arca-Swiss style plate. Might have worked for you!

EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »
Wow. Never thought my question would lead to a thread this long and interesting.

Since it came up, I'd like to hear what others do while hiking.  I use hiking poles so instead of a BR or the like, I hang a ThinkTank Holster from my backpack straps and secure it against my front by threading my waist strap through the slot/loop in the back of the holster. That way, my camera is always right in front of me. I keep a regular strap loosely around my neck for security but there's no weight on it. If it is dusty or raining, I can zip the holster almost closed and the only small opening left is against my chest and under the protection of my hat brim or I can cover it with the rain cover.

Hope I am not straying too far off course, but it sounds like some of you hike with the BR, CarrySpeed or similar.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »