August 28, 2014, 07:23:16 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II travel bag for Alaska  (Read 7195 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II travel bag for Alaska
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
This is a very interesting choice but it's better for situations where you have to carry your camera/500mm lens with almost nothing else.

I use the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW II for that situation, which is basically most of the time I'm using the 600 II.  However, with Lowepro's Sliplock system, I will often attach a lens case or two to the outside of the Lens Trekker, for a standard zoom, etc.  I also sometimes just drop the 40/2.8 into the outer pocket.  With the L-bracket on my camera, I can use the side-mount gimbal with a regular lens when I want a wider AoV.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »

photo212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
I've traveled to Alaska (eagles) with my 500mm f/4L several times, and ill return this fall as well. I use a Pelican 1510 case: http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510

I do not use the dividers, just the top foam and the padding on the sides and bottom. I cut a slot in the foam top to avoid pressure on the lens cap. I found the dividers unnecessary as I filled the case with other equipment: lenses and bodies.

Read the airline websites on their size and weight limits for carry-ons. This case works for domestic flights, but some international flights have tighter restrictions. With what I carry, I'm right at 40 pounds.

This makes rolling through airports a breeze, but not so much fun carrying it down a trail. If that is where you are heading, consider the The Gura Gear Kiboko or whatever they have these days.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »