October 26, 2014, 02:18:28 AM

Author Topic: Got this here itch  (Read 4045 times)

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Got this here itch
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
I'm ectlectic in my images, everything from BIF to landscapes to macro...anything but people. Currently use a 1DsIII and, am a believer in photoshop.

The new 7D is about to be released with the expected upgrades and about 22MP, which is impressive for a crop camera. Photomerge takes care of needing more stuff in frame.
And, the new "D", or whatever they call it, supposedly will have around 40 MP and a slower frame rate. Frame rate is inconsequential and like cropability of excessive MP for macro work.
I will not buy two cameras, couldn't afford that route. any suggestions?

canon rumors FORUM

Got this here itch
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Got this here itch
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
any suggestions?

I suggest waiting until these cameras you are speculating on are actually announced.  Kinda hard to make good decision when it's totally uninformed and based on rumor, and irrelevant since you can't act on it anyway.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
any suggestions?

I suggest waiting until these cameras you are speculating on are actually announced.  Kinda hard to make good decision when it's totally uninformed and based on rumor, and irrelevant since you can't act on it anyway.

Bang on.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
Kinda hard to budget and buy a rumor. =)  I would wait to see what turns out on paper and go from there as what will suit your needs the most...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
Just for the sake of argument, say the cameras are out on the market. The question you have to ask yourself is, do I want to spend $8000+ on a pro style studio camera or a sub $2000 pro-am camera?

These cameras won't be anywhere near the same league.

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
Humor me here guys...lets assume that they're both out and as great as we've come to expect from canon.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
Humor me here guys...lets assume that they're both out and as great as we've come to expect from canon.

Okay, i'll humor you... which initial defect do you wish to affect the demand and pricing... Light leak?  Black Dots?  AF Tracking problems?  Banding? Mirrors falling off? lol.    =)  Anywho, kidding asside... for the likely pricing and styles of cameras... if money is no object and you're looking for a new day to day camera for optimum quality and you dont mind possible noise issues... new MP monster camera it is... If you want a smaller little back up camera with speed, reach, and a fun why not pro camera... then by all means... 7d2 it is... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
Okay, in that case, I'll play.

What's wrong with the 5D III for your needs? What will these mythical cameras possess that you don't see in Canon's current offerings?

With the 7D update, you'll be getting the tighter pixel pitch, with sharpness-robbing diffraction setting in earlier. Are you willing to put up with the smaller crop-sensor viewfinder, coming from a 1Ds III? Do you need razor-think DOF you're used to will full frame? And although you can add pixels in photomerge, will you still get the perspective you desire? Personally, I love the wide-angle perspective, not just the wider field of view.

If the 40MP-plus monster comes out, as someone noted, will you be willing to pay the price that it will command? I'm assuming you have decent glass, but depending on your needs and your propensity to pixel-peep, will you be happy with sensors that demand perfection from your glass if you're demanding perfection in your images (on the out-of-camera images at pixel level, at least). Also, you're already used to large files, but I would personally be nervous about 40MP+ images and their impact on my storage and processing infrastructure.

As always, I prefer to ask myself, "What does my current gear not offer that I want from an upgrade?" and then see if the new gear really offers what I want. Of course, that requires real cameras to investigate, not rumors.

$.02
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:01:36 PM by IWLP »
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »

As always, what is it you need?

What is the failing in your current equipment that you want to correct?

Without explaining that part of your question, this is just a big, wet fart.

I'm holding my nose so far.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »

you mean as great as the canon APS-C sensors have been for the last generation of 18MP noisey noise pigs?
or do you mean as great as we are hoping some new mythical DxO slaying sensor will be in 2018?
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »
Its amazing to me how people actually try to make buying and selling decisions based on totally off the wall rumors, and then complain when they don't actually happen.

The rumors site is for fun and what-if discussion, but if you need a camera, go buy one because 99.9% of the rumors either never happen, or are way off as to features other than the obvious ones already on existing cameras. 

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
I say wait and see if the rumoured camera comes out. If/when it does, there will be new rumours for the next camera to come out..... you can wait for that one too.... and so on, and so on, and so on.....

Seriously though.... what you can expect from model upgrade to model upgrade are incremental improvements. Leaps forward are few and far between. When a new camera comes out you can expect to pay higher prices for it, particularly the first several months after release.

It's not just a camera, it's camera and lenses, it's a system.... you might be better off to get an older version of the camera body at a reduced price and invest the difference in a good lens or two.... and two years down the road when you are tempted again to get the newest and greatest your great lens will still be a great lens.
The best camera is the one in your hands

JEAraman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
I say wait and see if the rumoured camera comes out.you might be better off to get an older version of the camera body at a reduced price and invest the difference in a good lens or two.... and two years down the road when you are tempted again to get the newest and greatest your great lens will still be a great lens.

exactly my thoughts. Invest in the latest and greatest lenses.. You can always get a new camera once the rumor realizes.. (if ever).

Ps. Same could happen with lens rumors thought :P

I'm currently waiting for a new 50 (be it L or not - I don't mind) and the 14-24. Having said that I do have the 50 1.4 and the 16-35 II ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »

Zlatko

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 01:07:57 AM »
I'm ectlectic in my images, everything from BIF to landscapes to macro...anything but people. Currently use a 1DsIII and, am a believer in photoshop.

... any suggestions?

You already have a great camera.  Not sure what you need that's better.

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:28 AM »
If frame rate is inconsequential, and for what you do a good AF system really isn't necessary, it's all the sensor and a weather sealed body that would be important. So really, why the 7D2 and all it's (likely) crazy speed?
Again as above what more do you need from your 1DsIII? If more resolution really is necessary then whatever the new mp monster it is to look forward to...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:28 AM »