October 21, 2014, 09:16:11 AM

Author Topic: Anybody using MagicLantern?  (Read 3844 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Anybody using MagicLantern?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »
It's very good on the 5DII but when I don't use it I have to remove the battery because it drains the battery in 2 days!

That definitely sounds like a bug, I'd be nice if you'd post a report in the ml forum so they can fix it. Ml does make the led blink so you can see the camera is on (doubtful feature if you ask me), but the battery drain shouldn't be as large as you describe.

I'm using the alpha 2 version on my 7D and am pretty pleased with the expanded features also it seems quite stable even in its early development for the 7D.

The 7d port should be very stable because it's just another digic4 body, and the unified version for digic4 is stable for a long time - they just couldn't get it to start on the dual-digic4 7d. It's different for digic5 cameras (5d3, 6d) - that's really a dev version that could have real bugs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 04:37:39 AM »
I didn't want to try it out on my 7D without hearing some others experiences and opinions.

ML is the reason I'm staying with Canon (...) Even w/o doing videos, the killer features for me are unlimited automatic bracketing, focus stacking, timelapses & focus peaking/zebras - and they keep adding, they just implemented a better auto iso than canon and exposure locks (only in the dev version). (...) I am always baffled if people don't use it.
+1
For some uses ML really does wonders - especially for video as mentioned, Eg. the ability to have a flat picture style applied to the recording while using a less flat one for live view. Not to mention Audio gain control. And png overlays (eg. golden spiral) and the list goes on :)
Without a doubt one of my reasons for staying with Canon.
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »
I actually find myself more often in the magic lantern menu than the canon menu! Especially for video, ML is a must. As far as stability goes, I have run it over multiple cameras and I have not had any issues or seen a noticeable decrease in battery life either.

Give it a try, you wont regret it.

Also, be sure to carry an extra memory card with you that does not have ML installed on it just in case. 

pato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
When you turn on the camera, hold the SET button. That way ML will not be loaded, in case of an issue or empty memory card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »