December 21, 2014, 08:43:25 AM

Author Topic: Reikan FoCal Pro with 40 STM  (Read 5144 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Reikan FoCal Pro with 40 STM
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »
I just purchased Reikan FoCal, and now I'm like all confused

I ran 3 test with my 1dX and 50 F1.2 and I got : 7, 10 and 9...and when I then take random pictures I seem to get better focus with 0 value!!!

i'll have to see what is not normal.

1- Where do you enter the value of the value - on the chart sheet? In my case I put in the Large Target width (in the preferences pane)
2- The distance is like 2.2 meters
3- My ev is lower than wished but still is within specs.

anyhow...not as quick win as I thought... I just seem to get soft focus with my 50 at 1.2....but now that my 0AF adjustment value...just puts lots of confusion in my head :-)
It is really important to have stability and accurate alignment to the target as well, so be sure to use the target alignment feature.
If you are not getting consistent results, more light can help, EV 8 is the minimum recommended, but I get much better results with more light, like EV 11, 12 or 13.
To get the information about the results, click the save report button (pro version).  Then the information, sharpness numbers, light levels, etc will be in the report.
If you want more accurate and repeatable results, you will need to change the settings to set a tighter repeatability tolerance and more test points.  I find that the target width of 123mm matches the width of the target I print.
I haven't played with the latest version, since all my lenses are tested and accurate, but I might try some of the new features on my Windows 8 box to see how well they compare.
I find that it is visually difficult for me to determine exactly which setting is best.  However, you can save the images that are taken (set the option) and then view them in the report to see if you can see any difference between the AFMA values close to the recommended value.  You can also compare the "0" AFMA image with the recommended AFMA image.

Good luck, and add as much light as possible. That allows higher shutter speeds which means less vibration effects.  A 1/500 shutter speed for a 85mm lens gives much better results than 1/15 sec.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:11 AM »
I would generally say no you don't.  However if you have more than one body you may need it.  Also FoCal does have quite a few features above just AFMA calibration.  Aperture sharpness is one of them as well as verifying your equipment is still calibrated.  Calibrations can drift over time.

But if AFMA is all you are concerned about then you don't need focal if canon got it all set up for you.

Question:  Is FoCal really necessary after Canon calibrates all your stuff to work together?  I just got all my stuff back from them and everything seems better without any AFMA at all!

Yes, that's right.  I do like using the Aperture sharpness test.  I want to play with the AF point tests too.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:11 AM »