November 28, 2014, 04:56:48 PM

Author Topic: Sigma Launches the Sigma USB DOCK  (Read 11384 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Sigma Launches the Sigma USB DOCK
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »
Sigma USB Dock
By connecting the USB cable to a computer, SIGMA USB DOCK enables photographers to update the lens firmware and adjust parameters such as focus. The adjustment is processed with special software (SIGMA Optimization Pro). The AF speed, focus limiter and OS function are also customizable for Sports lenses.

Sigma USB Dock

Sigma USB Dock

Release: Early 2013. Compatible lens Art | 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Contemporary | 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM / 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO HSM Sports | 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM * The Appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice

Special Software “SIGMA Optimization Pro” will offer the following customization.

Focus setting

Contemporary, Art and Sports • Updating Lens Firmware It is possible to update the lens firmware via the internet. • Focus Setting Multiple focus setting options are available: 4 categories for fixed focal length lenses, and 16 categories (4 options for focal length) x (4 options for shooting distance) for zoom lenses.

For Sports line • AF Speed Adjustment There are 3 AF speed modes. • Focus Limiter Adjustment Offering customization for the driving range of auto focus enables a photographer to exactly reflect the personal preference. • OS Setting There are 3 OS (Optical Stabilizer) adjustment modes.

You can download “SIGMA Optimization Pro for Windows” and “SIGMA Optimization Pro for Macintosh” from the link below.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/

Condition of Operation Windows This software operates in the condition that meets with the following criteria; • Pentium 4 processor or higher • Windows 7 or Windows 8 is pre-installed. • 1GB of RAM or higher • 1 GB of available hard drive space. • 24-bit graphics card (approx. 16.7 million colors). • 1024×768 or higher screen resolution. • USB 1.1 as standard

Mac OS This software operates in the condition that meets with the following criteria; • Intel processor that either Mac OS X 10.7 or 10.8 is pre-installed • 1GB of RAM or higher • 1 GB of available hard drive space. • 24-bit graphics card (approx. 16.7 million colors). • 1024×768 or higher screen resolution. • USB 1.1 as standard.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:17:09 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Sigma Launches the Sigma USB DOCK
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma Launches the Sigma USB DOCK
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »
Have to admit I don't actually understand all that so a breakdown in simple terms would be most appreciated but if it's what I think it will do (AFAM on steriods without additional calibration software) then it sounds absolutely brilliant!

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
I think a lot of the thought behind this is the ability to change the software/firmware on a lens. This way if Canon (or Nikon, etc) decide to change the protocol of how the camera body communicates with the lens, Sigma can roll out updates so your lenses don't become fancy paperweights.

On the same note, if you are able to tweak other parameters, that could be interesting as well.
5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 50 1.2 L | 85 1.2 II L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

JohnnyWashngo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
Typical - Windows and Mac OS only. My poor Linux box is feeling very unloved right now.

Here's hoping WINE can handle the application or I may have to resort to a Windows VM in order to use the software.

Great idea though. Can't wait to have a play around.

mediumtv

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »
^ Do you really expect corporations to code their software to work with Linux, representing a whopping under 2% of computer users? ???

Anyways, if sigma would have had this accessory years ago it would have saved their brand an awful lot of hurt over bad AF!

JohnnyWashngo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
^ Do you really expect corporations to code their software to work with Linux, representing a whopping under 2% of computer users? ???

Anyways, if sigma would have had this accessory years ago it would have saved their brand an awful lot of hurt over bad AF!

Well, yes. They could easily have used a cross platform library for writing the application and then it would have worked everywhere. I am tired of companies offering software for Windows and Mac OS alone. It smacks of laziness.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
I think this could be a big step in lenses, allowing end-users to be able to tweak some designs slightly. I think that if they actually made it so that this could be attached while the lens and body were attached, and something like FoCal could support the Sigma protocol, it could allow for some really interesting AF tweaks for a specific lens+body configuration. Now if only there were a way to get the lens to recognize a specific body and store camera body profiles like a body can recognize an individual lens...
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Focus setting

Contemporary, Art and Sports • Updating Lens Firmware It is possible to update the lens firmware via the internet. • Focus Setting Multiple focus setting options are available: 4 categories for fixed focal length lenses, and 16 categories (4 options for focal length) x (4 options for shooting distance) for zoom lenses.

For Sports line • AF Speed Adjustment There are 3 AF speed modes. • Focus Limiter Adjustment Offering customization for the driving range of auto focus enables a photographer to exactly reflect the personal preference. • OS Setting There are 3 OS (Optical Stabilizer) adjustment modes.

I have to say I'm impressed - lenses have reached the digital age at last, it'll be interesting to see if Canon follows and adds more customization options for their lenses directly through the eos cameras.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
Focus setting

Contemporary, Art and Sports • Updating Lens Firmware It is possible to update the lens firmware via the internet. • Focus Setting Multiple focus setting options are available: 4 categories for fixed focal length lenses, and 16 categories (4 options for focal length) x (4 options for shooting distance) for zoom lenses.

I have to say I'm impressed - lenses have reached the digital age at last, it'll be interesting to see if Canon follows and adds more customization options for their lenses directly through the eos cameras.

They might. And then prevent 3rd parties like FoCal from accessing those like what they did for the 5d3. And no, I'm not going to stop grumbling about that.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

AdamJ

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
I have a heavily modified superbike with a third party box of tricks (Power Commander) that assigns a fuel/air ratio for every combination of engine speed and gear. I'm hoping that the Sigma device and the lens firmware will allow similarly accurate mapping so that it will compensate for focus shifting at any aperture and focus distance. There's no reason why it couldn't allow this technically. If so, I'd buy their 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
They might. And then prevent 3rd parties like FoCal from accessing those like what they did for the 5d3. And no, I'm not going to stop grumbling about that.

Maybe it does make you feel better there's full FoCal support for the 6d again, Canon might have heard your grumbling!

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »

Maybe it does make you feel better there's full FoCal support for the 6d again, Canon might have heard your grumbling!

Now if they fix it for the 5d3 for the supposedly forthcoming firmware update, I'll stop grumbling. If they actually do it, I'll sing a few praises, if not, I'll blast them with some more email communication asking them to stop being 'tards. In nicer words though.

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »
I think this could be a big step in lenses, allowing end-users to be able to tweak some designs slightly. I think that if they actually made it so that this could be attached while the lens and body were attached, and something like FoCal could support the Sigma protocol, it could allow for some really interesting AF tweaks for a specific lens+body configuration. Now if only there were a way to get the lens to recognize a specific body and store camera body profiles like a body can recognize an individual lens...

+ 1 This would seriously be a big step in the right direction. 
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »

Well, yes. They could easily have used a cross platform library for writing the application and then it would have worked everywhere. I am tired of companies offering software for Windows and Mac OS alone. It smacks of laziness.

it smacks of good business sense, you don't waste money and stay in business.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »

it smacks of good business sense, you don't waste money and stay in business.

I think what JohnnyWashngo is trying to say is, it likely could have been done in a fully cross-platform for little to no additional cost (money/personal/etc). Not sure if he's completely correct or not, but it very well may be correct since the only cross-platform stuff I've developed has been Java, and that has it's own quirks and issues.

If the cost had actually be very minimal, it might very well have been nice to release it. However, I'm sure some enterprising person will sniff the USB packets and reverse engineer the protocol. Then all of us linux geeks (well, ok, I use Windows for Lightroom. I'm sorry :( ) can put together our own application as we will.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »