April 17, 2014, 10:03:39 PM

Author Topic: What Canon Body is threatened buy the Nikon D5200?  (Read 6311 times)

crasher8

What Canon Body is threatened buy the Nikon D5200?
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
Except for the low ISO range is the newly announced D5200 a competitor to the T4i or the 7D? I see it as an upgrade to old D90 users but it must have a Canon rival now doesn't it?

canon rumors FORUM

« on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: What Canon Body is threatened buy the Nikon D5200?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
all canon crops.

it not a competition anyway. its an outright flogging

when anyone asks what entry level camera to get this is my answer D5200 and Nikkor 18-200 VR II lens
its an awesome supertele much mcuh better the and canon EF-S one

APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »
Nikon is not really threatening any Canon camera, and Canon is not threatening Nikon.
Each have their proponents, but buyers of that level of camera are most often guided by the price.  They go down to Best Buy, and checkout the price of a camera / lens kit and, if it looks professional to them, they buy it.  Then, it sits in a closet because the images all look out of focus due to the shallow depth of field, and the controls are too complicated.
Of course, most of those who post here know what they are doing, but they are also a tiny minority.

I've bought many (un)used cameras locally from the closets of  buyers who went back to point and shoot cameras because they like everything to be in focus, and they like the ease of use.

My advice to someone wanting a DSLR is to first help them to determine if they really understand what they are getting into.  I gave my daughter one of my Canon DSLR's and lenses, I think it is gathering dust as well, since she prefers the old Nikon CP-990 I gave her many years back.  She mostly takes photos of projects she has made to list on Etsy or Ebay, and the CP-990 is fantastic for that.

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
Nikon is not really threatening any Canon camera, and Canon is not threatening Nikon.
Each have their proponents, but buyers of that level of camera are most often guided by the price.  They go down to Best Buy, and checkout the price of a camera / lens kit and, if it looks professional to them, they buy it.  Then, it sits in a closet because the images all look out of focus due to the shallow depth of field, and the controls are too complicated.
Of course, most of those who post here know what they are doing, but they are also a tiny minority.

I've bought many (un)used cameras locally from the closets of  buyers who went back to point and shoot cameras because they like everything to be in focus, and they like the ease of use.

My advice to someone wanting a DSLR is to first help them to determine if they really understand what they are getting into.  I gave my daughter one of my Canon DSLR's and lenses, I think it is gathering dust as well, since she prefers the old Nikon CP-990 I gave her many years back.  She mostly takes photos of projects she has made to list on Etsy or Ebay, and the CP-990 is fantastic for that.

Oh please. No need to be so elitist. Give people more credit. Most people aren't that dumb. Yeah there are many who just use auto on their dslr, but many consumers actually want to learn and that's the reason why they buy the camera in the first place. And these days, people know what specs are and can tell which one is better. If they can't, most people have friends who do know to ask for advice. I mean, people get started somehow right? I started using a DSLR without a clue what any of the settings were but I learned.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:06 PM »
I do not think Mt Spokane Photography is being elitist. We have all probably bought something with good intentions and never get round to using it, or use it for a while then move on to something else. Whether it is a squash racket, table tennis table, home gym or a camera it is all the same principle. Just look at the microwave, everyone knows that home cooked, freshly prepared food tastes better but how many people use microwaves to reheat frozen c**p.

Now, just need to find those 1D Xs gathering dust somewhere. There must be at least one or two out there....  :D
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
I don't have any actual stats to add proof to the conversation above, but I don't think the majority of consumers even know what a sensor is and how it's size plays any role in a digital photograph. This doesn't mean they are "dumb", just maybe they have different requirements from a consumer product than geeky high ISO performances- ie: price, ergonomics, size, etc.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • A2B Art
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:02:28 AM »
all canon crops.
it not a competition anyway. its an outright flogging..

+1  ;)
and at a good price point too.
Let's see how the new, Toshiba-made, sensor performs.  It's supposed to be an improvement over the D3200's.
I'm certainly watching this one closely but won't pounce on one until the reviews are out, AF performance shows its worth in this body.. and maybe even the price drops a little.
LOTS of features in a compact body!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:02:28 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »

Oh please. No need to be so elitist. Give people more credit. Most people aren't that dumb. Yeah there are many who just use auto on their dslr, but many consumers actually want to learn and that's the reason why they buy the camera in the first place. And these days, people know what specs are and can tell which one is better. If they can't, most people have friends who do know to ask for advice. I mean, people get started somehow right? I started using a DSLR without a clue what any of the settings were but I learned.

Not elitist at all. He right mostly in my opinion. At the same time there are people like you as well. And am sure their numbers will increase! :)

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 01:27:44 AM »
I think both companies stagger their models more than an actual direct competition. For example, the Canon 7D fits somewhere between the Nikon D5100 and the Nikon D7000, some might argue that for certain features but it's always been that way. A rebel was definitely better than a Nikon D40 back in the day and it was more expensive. As for the pro level bodies, they're definitely a lot more competitive with features and pricing to a point where people may want to do something silly like switch over a measly DXO score and a couple hundred dollars or so. =P
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

weekendshooter

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:28:20 AM »
I think both companies stagger their models more than an actual direct competition. For example, the Canon 7D fits somewhere between the Nikon D5100 and the Nikon D7000, some might argue that for certain features but it's always been that way. A rebel was definitely better than a Nikon D40 back in the day and it was more expensive. As for the pro level bodies, they're definitely a lot more competitive with features and pricing to a point where people may want to do something silly like switch over a measly DXO score and a couple hundred dollars or so. =P

the 7D is definitely above the D7000. The lines now look roughly like:

7D
D7000
D5200
T4i
T3i - D5100
D3200
D3100 - T3

Not sure where the 60D fits in anymore, since it's now eclipsed in every way but its ergonomics by the T4i and D5200. It's clear that Canon has a hole in the lineup where a 70D should be.

Nikon has not had a full-sized, high-speed crop body to compete with the 7D since the ancient D300S, which is somehow still available new and has not been replaced.

IMO at the current prices, the D7000 is a huge steal and the best camera of them all for the price. $900 body only for a mostly magnesium body, 6 fps, 100% prism viewfinder, in-body AF motor, and that fantastic Sony sensor.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:30:08 AM »
Not sure where the 60D fits in anymore

The 60d is/will be phased out, the swivel screen model now is the 650d (with 60d-style af, actually a bit better).

None, after the experiences with the delays, the initial 5d3/24-70ii price and the 6d features it's clear non-Rebel users (who just own the kit lens) very seldom switch and Canon can get away with just about everything - people complain, but that's about it.

A few professionals who really need the competition's features might jump ship or buy Nikon in addition to Canon (like the high mp d800) - but for the rest the loss when selling Canon is too big, the feel of Nikon is too different, and last not least only Canon runs Magic Lantern.

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »
Except for the low ISO range is the newly announced D5200 a competitor to the T4i or the 7D? I see it as an upgrade to old D90 users but it must have a Canon rival now doesn't it?

instead of answering your question.  i am going to ask, "how many canon 7d owners have sold theirs to buy canon t4i even though they are all know that t4i is better in low light capability than the one that they are having?"  if you can answer this question, then you probably find out what is the answer to your question above.  thought that i do not need to mention that changing gears is a major decision since one will lose lots of money when making a change the whole system...

just a thought...

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:09 AM »
None, after the experiences with the delays, the initial 5d3/24-70ii price and the 6d features it's clear non-Rebel users (who just own the kit lens) very seldom switch and Canon can get away with just about everything - people complain, but that's about it.

I remember when i got into photography the 5d mk2 was announced. People opened threads and complained about it being overpriced and such. Many people came up with "I stick with my old trusty 5d!". When the 5dmk2 was established it was worshipped and like the ultimate camera to get.

And now exactly the same happened when the 5d mk3 came out. "Overpriced, bad DR compared to Nikon" and so on. And now? Yes you guess right...(nearly) everybody thinks the 5dmk3 is such an awesome camera.

Its just complaining cuz people want to complain. Im sure if u are into something else (cars, fishing rods, RC cars, just something) the exact same thing happens in these forums. Good example are World of Warcraft Forums :P Its a major complain fest there but yet the game is played by over 10 Mio people constantly.

Im gonna stick with Canon cuz i like their L lenses and the nifty fifty entry lens which is somewhat legendary.

If i had to care that much about DR +- id probably be a pro with enough money to buy whatever camera i want. For my hobby i think its just ridculous if Id complain about such stuff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:58:49 AM by sandymandy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:09 AM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:31 AM »
thought that i would share this.  just happen to get in to see what d5200 images look like from nikon site and find out this:  sample images 3 was picked out since it is with highest iso.  i downloaded it but exif shows that the image belongs to nikon d800e with iso of 100.

i was like "what the heck"...  as if nikon marketing team see this message, please ask your team, developer team and QA team to have little more solid performance.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:26:12 AM by ishdakuteb »

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:05 AM »

the 7D is definitely above the D7000. The lines now look roughly like:

7D
D7000
D5200
T4i
T3i - D5100
D3200
D3100 - T3

Not sure where the 60D fits in anymore, since it's now eclipsed in every way but its ergonomics by the T4i and D5200. It's clear that Canon has a hole in the lineup where a 70D should be.

Nikon has not had a full-sized, high-speed crop body to compete with the 7D since the ancient D300S, which is somehow still available new and has not been replaced.

IMO at the current prices, the D7000 is a huge steal and the best camera of them all for the price. $900 body only for a mostly magnesium body, 6 fps, 100% prism viewfinder, in-body AF motor, and that fantastic Sony sensor.

You're right. Like I said, arguably better in general, for people who think better ISO and AF performance are all that's needed to make an entire camera. I personally do like the 7D better, it just felt way better in my hands than my brother's D7000. The frame rate was very useful as well, just not for me since I rarely shoot fast moving subjects. Video looked so much better on the 7D as well, to my eyes. I'd have kept it if I didn't need another 5D mark III for work. I'm actually excited to see what the new 7D mark II (if that's the name of the model) will bring as well as the 70D as I do actually miss the flip out screen for some situations :)
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:05 AM »